Pro Football Weekly: Lynch's Days in Buffalo may be Numbered

FluffHead

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't get a 2 keep him, moving him for anything else is dumb. FJax is 30 and he'd be the only RB we'd have.

You are assuming we wouldn't replace Lynch with another RB. I bet we could find a RB anywhere in the draft who can run for 450 yards spelling Jackson next year.

I have to admit, before this past season I would have been blasting this and any other opinion of the same as insane.

Can Lynch play? Absolutely. As stated in the article, he is not only 23 years old, but the Bills invested a 1st round pick in him. He has earned a Pro Bowl berth, and has already had a 1,000 yard season. I personally love his tenacious, pounding, stiff-armed approach to running the ball as well.

But then you have to stop and ask: what is conduct detrimental to the team?

I would argue that being suspended from playing (whatever the charge) when you are a starting positional player IS detrimental to the team. He was not only suspended, but suspended for 3 games to open the season. Now, thank God that Fred Jackson was on the roster, but if not for Fred we would probably have had an even worse record last season because Lynch never recovered from being suspended. His play never dictated a consistent return to the game.

Jackson was better.

Jackson is also older. True, he does not have as much mileage as a back similar to his age in the NFL, but eventually the age and mileage will match up and he will wear down quicker.

So, what do the Bills do?

Lynch has historically shown himself to be a physical runner- though this past season he apparently felt fit to dance more than hit a hole. Like McGahee before him, Lynch seems as though he might be suffering from an extreme lack of focus; as both the nightlife and mischief seem more entertaining than busting your arse to earn those millions of dollars from playing a game.

On the one hand, in the modern NFL you need atleast 2 backs. On the other, reliable, bargain backs can be had in both free agency and via the draft. If they were going to trade him, this might be the year to do it as his value is probably high around the league. I don't think that they'd get a 1st rounder for him, but a high 2nd or 3rd with a proven player might be nice.

If he stays, this idiot antics have got to stop.