Good article

DarthICE

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/articl...101/2030354/tbd

This says it all...'Everyone who knows anything about the NFL knows that teams with below-average quarterbacks don't win Super Bowls and seldom even make the playoffs.'

horrible article. matthews has shown over the years he is a moron. clausen and bills at 9th spot ='s bad idea...

"Reasons why the Bills should select Clausen: The Bills haven't had a franchise QB in a long time, and Clausen could be the man. Most NFL first-round picks are gambles. Getting lucky on a QB would be hitting the jackpot."

:thumbdown:

I heard that next week Bob Matthews is going to discuss the merits of why it's good to have a pulse.

And we will be playing for the #1 overall pick since we still don't have a franchise type QB

There are around 20 teams without a "franchise-type" qb, so my guess is we have a pick somewhere between 1 and 20.

Which comes first: the O-line or the QB? It's a question that can't really be definitively answered, since they generally go hand in hand. But a lot of smart people think that a great quarterback would be wasted behind our current O-line, and that without an upgrade there, we would most likely still be stuck with a high draft pick next year.

And we will be playing for the #1 overall pick since we still don't have a franchise type QB

NEWS ALERT: Kuato-lookalike Jimmy Clausen ain't no 'franchise type QB' - the Bills draft that a-hole and trust me, Eric Wood and the rest of the team will be lining up to snap Jimmy-boy's shins faster than J.P. Losman can say, "Troy Vincent."

Draft Bulaga in round one, Brandon Carter in round 4, Adam Ulatoski in round 5 - then sit back and watch Ryan Fitzpatrick and Brian Brohm suddenly, magically, morph into 'franchise type QBs'.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/articl...101/2030354/tbd

This says it all...'Everyone who knows anything about the NFL knows that teams with below-average quarterbacks don't win Super Bowls and seldom even make the playoffs.'

Everyone who knows anything about the NFL knows that teams with QBs lying on their backs can't complete passes. What good is a promising rookie QB when you don't have a line that can keep him on his feet for longer than 2 sec?

People keep focusing on LT vs rookie QB in the draft as it applies to the passing game. Here is a news flash folks, a promising rookie LT makes your passing game AND your running game better.

NOW...some of you smart alecs will say that a good QB can make the running game better. Yes, they can. Tell me one rookie QB that has actually accomplished this feet? I 100% agree we need a MUCH better QB. I just don't think we need to use our first round pick this year on one. Bradford doesn't have the arm and I don't think Claussen will be there for us at #9. If Clausen was there at #9 I can see the attraction. Unfortunately we need a solid foundation on the offensive line before we get fancy with taking a shot at a QB prospect. If we were a decent team and had a competent O-line ...sure...get him. Unfortunately due to injury and youth our line SUCKED!

Many say lets get the QB on our roster now and let him sit for a year or two while we get an o-line together. Let's be honest people. There is NO WAY that that would happen. Fans would be screaming for him to start by week 3. If we throw any rookie QB to the wolves with our line, it will ruin him forever. LT is the better if not glamorous choice for this year. It will help the passing game AND the run game NOW. Let's say some prayers and hope that Bulaga doesn't race up the draft boards after the combine. I think he is the guy to get if we are lucky enough.

NEWS ALERT: Kuato-lookalike Jimmy Clausen ain't no 'franchise type QB' - the Bills draft that a-hole and trust me, Eric Wood and the rest of the team will be lining up to snap Jimmy-boy's shins faster than J.P. Losman can say, "Troy Vincent."

Draft Bulaga in round one, Brandon Carter in round 4, Adam Ulatoski in round 5 - then sit back and watch Ryan Fitzpatrick and Brian Brohm suddenly, magically, morph into 'franchise type QBs'.

I agree 99%. I don't know if Fitz and Brohm could suddenly magically morph into franchise QBs but a good line and some inventive play calling could make them look pretty damn good. I'm thinking Kyle Orton good in Denver. Not a great QB but put him in a better system with a good line and ta da...he becomes an asset not a liability.

Oh and ..."Quaid....use the machine!!!"

1. Claussen will not get by Skins and Seahawks.

2. For those who think OL will make a good QB, look at how Brees and Manning slide in the pocket. How they manage the game. They touch the ball 65 times a game and are the only guys who can make EVERYONE on the team better, including the defense. Although I'm not sure this is the year we get one, WE NEED ONE!!

3. Matt Schaub led the NFL in passing yards and he was a 3rd rounder. Just becuse we fill one of our other GAPING holes first, does not mean that QB is not imortant.

2. For those who think OL will make a good QB, look at how Brees and Manning slide in the pocket. How they manage the game. They touch the ball 65 times a game and are the only guys who can make EVERYONE on the team better, including the defense. Although I'm not sure this is the year we get one, WE NEED ONE!!

Check nfl.com. I know it's a lot of yin and yang and good line play is complementary to good QB play and visa versa but:

Colts #1 ranked offensive line

Saints #4 ranked offensive line

Manning and Brees can't be Manning and Brees without those guys up front giving them the time and peace of mind to do their thing. Without those QBs, those lines are still easily top 10 in the NFL...with them they are #1 and #4 respectively. You can't get around it. You can't take one of those guys, put them on our team and suddenly we have a top 10 quality line.

NOT A CHANCE!

3. Matt Schaub led the NFL in passing yards and he was a 3rd rounder. Just becuse we fill one of our other GAPING holes first, does not mean that QB is not imortant.

Fitz also slides in the pocket pretty well. The problem is that for much of this year, it was collapsing from multiple places at once. Also note in the article linked by the OP - Clausen is not a mobile quarterback. He was compared in the article to Drew "the Statue" Beldsoe.

What I don't understand is how such a great "franchise" qb could lose so many games in College. Yet people are expecting him to turn around a Pro Team with equal (if not greater) talent deficiencies all on his own.

Check nfl.com. I know it's a lot of yin and yang and good line play is complementary to good QB play and visa versa but:

Colts #1 ranked offensive line

Saints #4 ranked offensive line

Manning and Brees can't be Manning and Brees without those guys up front giving them the time and peace of mind to do their thing. Without those QBs, those lines are still easily top 10 in the NFL...with them they are #1 and #4 respectively. You can't get around it. You can't take one of those guys, put them on our team and suddenly we have a top 10 quality line.

NOT A CHANCE!

If the Colts have the #1 Offensive line, why were they ranked #32 in rushing??? Oh...that's right, they put the ball in Manning's hands......

If the QB reads it right, quickly and executes...all of the sudden the O-line looks good. If the QB is puzzled, takes forever to read AND execute (Ron Johnson), even the best O-line will look crappy.

If the Colts have the #1 Offensive line, why were they ranked #32 in rushing??? Oh...that's right, they put the ball in Manning's hands......

If the QB reads it right, quickly and executes...all of the sudden the O-line looks good. If the QB is puzzled, takes forever to read AND execute (Ron Johnson), even the best O-line will look crappy.

Oops..Rob Johnson. Ron Johnson was the stereo sales guy who "dated" Jennifer Jason Leigh in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Brady was a 6th rounder. Picking a QB in the first round is like flipping a coin. 50-50 chance he makes it. Plus, you'll be paying 1st round QB money. I'm not saying the Bills shouldn't take a QB in the first round, but if they do there had better be no doubt in their minds about it. In this situation a first round QB is going to be expected to start immediately.