All Signs point to Cottrell

What about the umpteen other HC jobs in the NFL since 2001 Cottrell wasn't hired to fill?

I don't know if the Bills are looking at Ted for DC or not -- but not being hired as HC in 2001 won't be the reason he doesn't take the job if it is offered.

Totally missing my point that Cottrell didn't like not getting the HC position for the Bills in 2000 an was pissed at Ralph thinking it was because he was black. He got passed over by a white DC in Williams and he blamed Ralph for that more than Donahue, since he was new. I remember Cottrell was pretty upset as was Butler, Smith, Philips or any anyone else asked to leave from that time period. Do you think Ralph didn't have something to do with all these firings before he hired Donahue.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Wikipedia, Ronnie Jones currently serves as defensive coordinator at Arlington Martin High School.

Ouch.

Ronnie Jones was the worst special teams coach since teams started to have a coach exclusively for special teams in the NFL. The kickoff coverage was so bad they started to just kick the ball high in the air to around the 35 yard line and be happy to have the opposing offense start at about the 40 after every kick off. Although Wade Phillips was in most ways a decent coach he should have done something about the special teams after 3 or 4 games and removed Ronnie Jones then and simply allowed him to do some defensive quality control or something. This is one time when I wish RW had stepped in earlier in the season and done something. That team still had a playoff quality defense and they should still have probably made the playoffs.

If it was going to be Cottrell, he would have been named by now.

they already know who they are hiring he must have told them who he liked as pos coaches. god help us if that isn't it i know i would want to give input on pos coaches if i were dc.

they already know who they are hiring he must have told them who he liked as pos coaches. god help us if that isn't it i know i would want to give input on pos coaches if i were dc.

If they can't talk to a coaching candidate who is still on another team, how can that candidate be reviewing/picking/consulting on the position coaches already hired?

Also, far too much blame is being placed on the ST coach for bad ST performance (just as far too much credit went to April for his success). It's kicking and covering returns---a single play and it's over. Every team has the same basic coverage plays. If you don't have decent personnel, there is no way to hide it.

If they can't talk to a coaching candidate who is still on another team, how can that candidate be reviewing/picking/consulting on the position coaches already hired?

They can't....officially. Doesn't mean they don't have contact. They will never admit it but I would not be shocked if our DC is in the Super Bowl, already accepted the Bills job, and had a lot of input on the assistants already hired. My hunch is it's Vitt.

PTR

They can't....officially. Doesn't mean they don't have contact. They will never admit it but I would not be shocked if our DC is in the Super Bowl, already accepted the Bills job, and had a lot of input on the assistants already hired. My hunch is it's Vitt.

PTR

Not a bad pick.

But I think that unofficial contact is banned also. Doubt the Saints would sya naything though since it's a promotion for Vitt.

1. He had great sucess in Buffalo (1995-2000)

2. Knows how to stop the run (extra important in Buffalo climate)

3. Has worked with Buddy Nix in Buffalo and San Diego

4. Very Experienced

5. Struggles a little against the pass (that's why we kept a proven secondary coach)

6. Will employ the 3-4, something I believe Nix is looking for

7. The rest of the staff has already been hired....Since we have not knowingly interviewed superbowl assistants it wouldn't add up

8. Has not been hired yet because both sides are probably trying to hammer out the details of his current contract with the UFL

Just a guess, but i think this is the guy. Nix wants coaches with experience (Gailey, Dehaven......Cottrell?). For this reason I DO NOT believe we are waiting on a d-line/linebacker coach of a superbowl team. I also think that the hiring of Dehaven speaks vollumes to the fact they are not afraid to get coaches Nix and Wilson are familiar with from previous experiences in Buffalo......Back when we were good.

First point: Ted Cottrell had success as a defensive coordinator almost solely because he always had very talented players to coach. When the Bills had a top rated defense under him, the opposition found it IMPOSSIBLE to run on the Bills due to the presence of Ted Washington and Pat Williams in the middle. Which brings me to my

Second point: Ted Cottrell is not a 3-4 guy. He's coached both schemes and had his greatest successes with 4-3 defenses. I believe he inherited the 3-4 in New Jersey and San Diego but coached a 4-3 in Buffalo and Minnesota where similar to to Washington and Williams in Buffalo, he had the the "Williams Wall."

Never was impressed with Cottrell (also thought he did a lousy job at Bruce Smith's Hall of Fame induction) and doubt very much he's on Buffalo's radar screen. I certainly hope strongly that he isn't under consideration.

4. Very Experienced

5. Struggles a little against the pass (that's why we kept a proven secondary coach)

7. The rest of the staff has already been hired....Since we have not knowingly interviewed superbowl assistants it wouldn't add up

8. Has not been hired yet because both sides are probably trying to hammer out the details of his current contract with the UFL

Just a guess, but i think this is the guy. Nix wants coaches with experience (Gailey, Dehaven......Cottrell?). For this reason I DO NOT believe we are waiting on a d-line/linebacker coach of a superbowl team. I also think that the hiring of Dehaven speaks vollumes to the fact they are not afraid to get coaches Nix and Wilson are familiar with from previous experiences in Buffalo......Back when we were good.

4. Very Experienced

didnt he just sign wit someone?

cottrell is a good guy but a lousy strategist and gailey is going to leave his DC on an island to run that side. I do NOT like the idea of Ted having that kind of influence. On his own, he has not been impressive - only under the rule of a defensive HC has he been effective.

you are incorrect.

Ted's career has been most impressive.

fired by 4 different teams for incompetence as a DC and also now fired as HC from a UFL team

just the kind of resume the Bills treasure

cheap and bad