What a waste of tax dollars

They actually have a "division" at NASA doing this!

Flying Cars

Within five years, NASA researchers hope to develop technology for a small airplane that can fly out of regional airports, costs less than $100,000, is as quiet as a motorcycle and as simple to operate as a car. Although it wouldn't have any road-driving capabilities, it would give regular people the ability to fly short distances.

I say that if it is worthwhile the private sector will figure it out with their money.

There are enough drivers on the road now who can't drive in two dimensions, now we'll add a third. Great.

Let's not forget the security implications. Some dude trying to meet Allah will hi-jack a flying Sport Ute because the owner left the keys in the ignition at the 7-11, he'll pack it with C4 and fly into the 10th floor of some bldg.

NASA: Half their budget is for truly worthwhile projects. The other half is unadulterated pork. They profess a significant positive ROI for the country, I don't buy it.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

Marty, look out!

The CUBS win the World Series?? OVER MIAMI? hehe

NASA IMO is a black hole of wasted funds... talk about big government!!!

F Mars... let's focus on the more important things, like solving the ENERGY problem.

Anyone who says NASA isn't one of the BEST government investment is simply showing their ignorance. NASA's technology innovations and civilian partnerships have led to advancements that touch your everyday lives.

1. Satellite Television. In 1962, NASA launched the first broadcast satellite - TELSTAR I. Live television was broadcast from the US to France THAT DAY.

In 1976 they launched CTS, which was the most powerful satellite ever. It allowed the creation of lower cost earth stations - which paved the way for direct broadcast television.

2. Cordless power tools and vacuum cleaners are direct results of a NASA technology partnership with Black & Decker. NASA engineers used their computer modeling expertise to design a motor small and powerful enough to run on a battery - ON THE MOON.

3. The first smoke detectors were designed in a partnership with Honeywell for Skylab.

4. The first water filters were designed in support of the Apollo missions.

5. Home insulation improvements are the direct result of NASA research on heat shields for the Apollo missions.

6. In 1992, the FDA approved the use of NASA's "cool" laser technology for use in heart surgery. It has replaced angioplasty.

7. The development of the CCD (charged coupled device) pretty much eliminated the need for scalpels in mammograms. Doctors can now use a needle to do biopsies, eliminating scars and saving patients and insurance providers over 300% on these procedures.

8. Digital Image Processing - including CATScans and MRIs are derived from NASA technology developed in the 1960s for LANDSAT.

9. Marshall Flight Center technology for making strong lightweight material that withstands propulsion tolerances is used to make prosthetic devices for amputees.

10. Those thermometers they stick in your ear? NASA Technology developed to measure the temperature of stars.

11. LEDs were developed for plant research on the Space Shuttle. They are now being used to treat SKIN CANCER.

12. X-33 composite materials were used to develop forceps to deliver babies.

13. NASA Ames developed pill sized transmitters that can be left inside the human body (to monitor astronauts). It is now being used in fetal care.

14. Technology designed to study photos sent back from space probes is now being used to detect chromosome abnormalities.

15. Those little internet cameras that are so prevelant today were designed by NASA JPL in Pasadena.

16. Scratch resistant glass was developed by NASA. Do you wear sunglasses?

17. Lightening protection technology was pioneered by NASA. Thank them everytime you fly through a storm.

18. Doppler Microwave Radar was developed in conjunction with NASA to combat windshear.

19. The material used to make moonsuits is now used for stadium and large building roofs. Ever been to the Georgia Dome or Denver Airport?

20. NASA Technology is used for padding in football helmets, chest protectors, and shin guards.

21. Golf balls fly farther because of external tank airload and slosh control technology.

These are just a few examples. I didn't bother with airframes, forest fire fighting, etc.

NASA is a VERY small part of our tax money - for a VERY large return.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

But going to MARS, and the moon again?

Not now; not when we are running outrageous deficits, and we have so many pressing problems here on Earth.

That's what I meant by 'black hole' of funds. It's not a good investment now, IMO.

Marty, look out!

The CUBS win the World Series?? OVER MIAMI? hehe

10015[/snapback]

I don't know if i should feel old because i know what movie that came from.

Moller has been working on the skycar for a while now. I read a few years ago that they had no problem finding investors for it. To quote their website "the M400 Skycar can cruise comfortably at 350+ MPH and achieve up to 28 miles per gallon. "

Moller's Sky car

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
I don't know if i should feel old because i know what movie that came from.

Moller has been working on the skycar for a while now.  I read a few years ago that they had no problem finding investors for it.  To quote their website "the M400 Skycar can cruise comfortably at 350+ MPH and achieve up to 28 miles per gallon. "

Moller's Sky car

10224[/snapback]

Lemme guess, you'll be able to buy one at Goldie Wilson's Skycar Sales???

haha

It was only 1985... not THAT long ago...!

If I only knew where Carolyn McDaris was right now... the summer of 86. Classic.

But going to MARS, and the moon again?

Not now; not when we are running outrageous deficits, and we have so many pressing problems here on Earth.

That's what I meant by 'black hole' of funds. It's not a good investment now, IMO.

10174[/snapback]

Yeah, we should absolutely shut off our thirst for knowledge because politicians can't stop spending money on frivolous things. Have any idea what portion of the federal government budget goes to NASA? Have any idea what portion of the economy is directly related to the Space Program?

Anyone who says NASA isn't one of the BEST government investment is simply showing their ignorance.  NASA's technology innovations and civilian partnerships have led to advancements that touch your everyday lives.

1.  Satellite Television.  In 1962, NASA launched the first broadcast satellite - TELSTAR I.  Live television was broadcast from the US to France THAT DAY.

In 1976 they launched CTS, which was the most powerful satellite ever.  It allowed the creation of lower cost earth stations - which paved the way for direct broadcast television.

2.  Cordless power tools and vacuum cleaners are direct results of a NASA technology partnership with Black & Decker.  NASA engineers used their computer modeling expertise to design a motor small and powerful enough to run on a battery - ON THE MOON.

3.  The first smoke detectors were designed in a partnership with Honeywell for Skylab.

4.  The first water filters were designed in support of the Apollo missions.

5.  Home insulation improvements are the direct result of NASA research on heat shields for the Apollo missions.

6.  In 1992, the FDA approved the use of NASA's "cool" laser technology for use in heart surgery.  It has replaced angioplasty.

7.  The development of the CCD (charged coupled device) pretty much eliminated the need for scalpels in mammograms.  Doctors can now use a needle to do biopsies, eliminating scars and saving patients and insurance providers over 300% on these procedures.

8.  Digital Image Processing - including CATScans and MRIs are derived from NASA technology developed in the 1960s for LANDSAT.

9.  Marshall Flight Center technology for making strong lightweight material that withstands propulsion tolerances is used to make prosthetic devices for amputees.

10.  Those thermometers they stick in your ear?  NASA Technology developed to measure the temperature of stars.

11.  LEDs were developed for plant research on the Space Shuttle.  They are now being used to treat SKIN CANCER.

12.  X-33 composite materials were used to develop forceps to deliver babies.

13.  NASA Ames developed pill sized transmitters that can be left inside the human body (to monitor astronauts).  It is now being used in fetal care.

14.  Technology designed to study photos sent back from space probes is now being used to detect chromosome abnormalities.

15.  Those little internet cameras that are so prevelant today were designed by NASA JPL in Pasadena.

16.  Scratch resistant glass was developed by NASA.  Do you wear sunglasses?

17.  Lightening protection technology was pioneered by NASA.  Thank them everytime you fly through a storm.

18.  Doppler Microwave Radar was developed in conjunction with NASA to combat windshear.

19.  The material used to make moonsuits is now used for stadium and large building roofs.  Ever been to the Georgia Dome or Denver Airport?

20.  NASA Technology is used for padding in football helmets, chest protectors, and shin guards.

21.  Golf balls fly farther because of external tank airload and slosh control technology.

These are just a few examples.  I didn't bother with airframes, forest fire fighting, etc.

10155[/snapback]

No. 22 Rusty Yates

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
Yeah, we should absolutely shut off our thirst for knowledge because politicians can't stop spending money on frivolous things.  Have any idea what portion of the federal government budget goes to NASA?  Have any idea what portion of the economy is directly related to the Space Program?

10377[/snapback]

YES, I do.. this is a great website to see the effects of fiscal mismanagement:

Federal Budget

MAYBE that Mars money could be applied to other areas? Every little bit helps. Just because it pales in comparison to the inflated DOD budget doesn't mean that it is insignificant.

Federal Budget

MAYBE that Mars money could be applied to other areas? Every little bit helps. Just because it pales in comparison to the inflated DOD budget doesn't mean that it is insignificant.

10639[/snapback]

Did anybody notice that the "Executive Office of the President" grew almost double to a few billion in FY04?

And what gives with the Army Corps budget being so small?... :)

At least it grew by a few billion... :)

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
Did anybody notice that the "Executive Office of the President" grew almost double to a few billion in FY04?

And what gives with the Army Corps budget being so small?... :)

At least it grew by a few billion... :)

10643[/snapback]

I know what'll help....

Re-electing GWB, and going to war with more countries. THAT'LL get the funds you need! But we have to make sure to tear down enough so that you guys will have enough to do. It has to be a weak oil producing country though, so the price of oil doesn't go up any more so driving our SUV's won't take any more hits.

I know what'll help....

Re-electing GWB, and going to war with more countries. THAT'LL get the funds you need! But we have to make sure to tear down enough so that you guys will have enough to do. It has to be a weak oil producing country though, so the price of oil doesn't go up any more so driving our SUV's won't take any more hits.

10714[/snapback]

Oil is going up... :)

Ya, right?... :doh::doh: Most will go to the country we invade instead of helping our civilian infrastructure.

I can go to Iraq tommorrow (okay, not exactly tommorrow... Takes a little longer to get briefed, and do the paper work). They would love to pay me for that mission and then some. Instead long overdue rehabs get put off... 30 years and pushing...

Gotta protect the "marsh people first"... :)

America first?

Oil is going up... :doh:

Ya, right?... ;)  ;)   Most will go to the country we invade instead of helping our civilian infrastructure.

I can go to Iraq tommorrow (okay, not exactly tommorrow... Takes a little longer to get briefed, and do the paper work).  They would love to pay me for that mission and then some.  Instead long overdue rehabs get put off... 30 years and pushing...

Gotta protect the "marsh people first"... :huh:

America first?

10718[/snapback]

Those damned Canadians are sitting on a TON of our oil. AND they are NOT part of the coalition of the willing. And doesn't Manifest Destiny include all shining seas? Hudson Bay is big enough to be a sea...and we only have part of Bering....

And I've seen their airforce flying over the Ralph on Canada day, we can take them. We don't have to kill them all even, just move them to someplace where there's no people, like Wyoming, and pump that sweet crude right on home to papa. Or Poppy ... and his pals.

We have to do something, those freakin Iraqis just blew up another one of our oil pipelines!

Federal Budget

10639[/snapback]

First, get off the Mars thing. That was just another in a long line of really dumb things Bush has said. That moronic idea has pretty much been shot down at this point, both because NASA gets peanuts for funding, and because we're a long way from getting to Mars (let alone getting back).

I'm not sure what the future of NASA is, but if it's manned space activity, than the moon is a more realistic goal than Mars. We need to work on a moon-based facility before we can even think of Mars and back. In reality, with shrinking budgets, the future of space exploration is probably robotic anyway. (e.g. the mars landers and Cassini).

Darin already pointed out the great return on investment we get from NASA. Is it the paragon of efficiency? No. But dollar for dollar, I'm not sure there's another federal program that returns on investment better than NASA. And looking at the overall federal budget, NASA is peanuts. Your very own source points out that we spend 20 times as much PAYING OFF INTEREST ON THE DEBT as we spend on NASA. That's insane. I'd rather that the feral government theives who steal my money do something useful with at least a tiny portion of it: NASA is one of the few things I am happy to contribute to. In fact, if I got to choose how to spend my taxes, I'd probably go something like 40% NASA, 40% military, 10% to pay off the fuggin' debt, and 10% Justice.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
Those damned Canadians are sitting on a TON of our oil. AND they are NOT part of the coalition of the willing.  And doesn't Manifest Destiny include all shining seas?  Hudson Bay is big enough to be a sea...and we only have part of Bering....

And I've seen their airforce flying over the Ralph on Canada day, we can take them.  We don't have to kill them all even, just move them to someplace where there's no people, like Wyoming, and pump that sweet crude right on home to papa.  Or Poppy ... and his pals.

We have to do something, those freakin Iraqis just blew up another one of our oil pipelines!

10788[/snapback]

No, Canada is too close to the US... a very dangerous terrorist base. I would like to suggest Norway, Sweden, and Finland. That way, we get all the benefits of a link to the Russian pipelines, beautiful babes (or men, if you are a woman), forward bases for future attacks on even more countries, and a wealth of fishing industries... the benefits are endless! If the UN squeals, we'll just throw some bunk at them, and continue our occupation. I can taste the lox now! MMMMM

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
First, get off the Mars thing. That was just another in a long line of really dumb things Bush has said. That moronic idea has pretty much been shot down at this point, both because NASA gets peanuts for funding, and because we're a long way from getting to Mars (let alone getting back).

I'm not sure what the future of NASA is, but if it's manned space activity, than the moon is a more realistic goal than Mars. We need to work on a moon-based facility before we can even think of Mars and back. In reality, with shrinking budgets, the future of space exploration is probably robotic anyway. (e.g. the mars landers and Cassini).

Darin already pointed out the great return on investment we get from NASA. Is it the paragon of efficiency? No. But dollar for dollar, I'm not sure there's another federal program that returns on investment better than NASA. And looking at the overall federal budget, NASA is peanuts. Your very own source points out that we spend 20 times as much PAYING OFF INTEREST ON THE DEBT as we spend on NASA. That's insane. I'd rather that the feral government theives who steal my money do something useful with at least a tiny portion of it: NASA is one of the few things I am happy to contribute to. In fact, if I got to choose how to spend my taxes, I'd probably go something like 40% NASA, 40% military, 10% to pay off the fuggin' debt, and 10% Justice.

10790[/snapback]

I would NEVER go 40% military; that's WAY too high.

How about we stop throwing out money away on a worthless war, actually go back to a BALANCED budget where we had a surplus, abolishing lobbying in Congress, and electing responsible people to that body? That would be a MUCH larger dent in the interest we pay.

I thought the Mars idea truly was ludicrous. I NEVER said that the other missions were worthless; it's just that when NASA starts about Mars, I shake my head and wonder.

Anyone who says NASA isn't one of the BEST government investment is simply showing their ignorance.  NASA's technology innovations and civilian partnerships have led to advancements that touch your everyday lives.

10155[/snapback]

I understand that many innovations were born at NASA... but there is a better and more efficient way to innovate. Many of the innovations you cite were coming anyway. NASA does not have a monopoly on smarts.

They have an inefficient shuttle program. Titan and Delta launches are much more cost effective. Only the industrial contracts and govt employment surrounding the shuttle prog keep it afloat (it hurt to say that... it made me sound like a liberal).

...and I forget the space probe name: but there is one that we lost because some bad computer code, to the cost of something like $250 million. I think the problem was a faulty conversion from metric to english measurement.

Then there's the bloated govt employee issue. I'd like to do a FOIA request and find out their SES to GS and WG employee ratio. My agency has 40,000 empluyees... 8 are SES. NASA Langley VA alone is reported to have 27 SES. Give me a break.

Pork.. pork... pork... and once in a while something good comes out. Big deal.