Why do QB's go under center and not 100% shotgun

taterhill

All that has been said about the running threat and step timing and the QB being able to read the defense is valid. Still, you are seeing a lot more shotgun every year. Most of that is because passing is getting easier all the time due to rules adjustments (can't impede the receivers, the QBs are protected, the OL can hold and not get called, etc.). But it's also due to the fact that teams are getting better and better at running out of the shotgun. If your QB can run, then you can have a very good running threat. It's like the old single wing which was a very strong running formation. This still may not be workable in the NFL, where there is such a large disparity between the size of QBs and that of DLs and LBs, but it can certainly work in high school and college.

They go under center to maintain the threat of the run. 100% shotgun means almost all pass. Runs from shotgun aren't as effective.

the top rushing team in NCAA used a shotgun, Nevada, their formation is called the pistol. Chan employed that offense when he was in kc so we will see

All that has been said about the running threat and step timing and the QB being able to read the defense is valid. Still, you are seeing a lot more shotgun every year. Most of that is because passing is getting easier all the time due to rules adjustments (can't impede the receivers, the QBs are protected, the OL can hold and not get called, etc.). But it's also due to the fact that teams are getting better and better at running out of the shotgun. If your QB can run, then you can have a very good running threat. It's like the old single wing which was a very strong running formation. This still may not be workable in the NFL, where there is such a large disparity between the size of QBs and that of DLs and LBs, but it can certainly work in high school and college.

this is why I am hoping for us to use the pistol a power running attack, traps, counter, running qb, a fullback. Sweeps and flys I hope we use it here

I have always wondered about this....I have never played football and would think the shotgun with a back in the backfield would allow the QB more time to look over the D.....can one of the guys/gals here with greater football knowledge than me fill me in...thanks

I seen to remember reading once it's designed so that QBs will have better rapport with neighborhood dogs if their hands smell like ass.

and can we please stop referring to the k-gun as some kind of magic system

the kg worked cuz it had four hofers, three wofers, and a couple more probowlers

that package would normally handicap an offense cuz it doesnt have enough variety. if you manage to get it to work again its cuz it just happens to fit your personnel, not cuz the system is some silver bullet

yup, i heard joe montana give this exact sentiment...under center he has constant eyelines on the LB's, no taking the eye off of them for even the slightest second

playing quarterback my whole life, i actually preferred to be under center rather than in shotgun. when you are in shotgun, there is that one second where you aren't looking at the defense but your focus is on catching the ball. under center you can see what the defense is doing while dropping back...just more time to analyze. if you never played quarterback, you are probably wondering, "its just one second, what are you talking about?" i guess its just one of those things that you have to play the position to understand.

There is also the issue with the snapping. As mentioned the QB has to catch the ball. But it goes further. Doing that snap is hard and the lower level the smaller hands makes it even tougher. Plus when under center the center can set it so the QB gets the laces correctly on his throwing hand. In shotgun he has to not only catch but then rotate the ball to get the laces correct. A lot of centers and Qb just arent capable of the shotgun mechanics.

Finally from a under center snap the center will have a better chance to react and block, when shotgun snapping his reaction time is a little longer and if times properly he'll get run over.

playing quarterback my whole life, i actually preferred to be under center rather than in shotgun. when you are in shotgun, there is that one second where you aren't looking at the defense but your focus is on catching the ball. under center you can see what the defense is doing while dropping back...just more time to analyze. if you never played quarterback, you are probably wondering, "its just one second, what are you talking about?" i guess its just one of those things that you have to play the position to understand.

Great post. To all, this is the correct answer to the question. The QB has the ball right away when taking it directly. No looking at the ball at all. Makes all the difference...

They go under center to maintain the threat of the run. 100% shotgun means almost all pass. Runs from shotgun aren't as effective.

"it's always been done this way" is the stock response

of course, there are many teams that are now moving to a spread offense out of the shotgun because the NFL continues to pass rules to favor the pass. Manning and Brady operate this way most of the time.

As good college programs continue to turnout spread- option QBs, NFL teams will start to adopt the spread as a standard formation. Although Tebow gets a lot of flack, he will be drafted and if the right coach gets him-he will be successful if allowed to run the spread.

A skilled coach can design run plays out of the shotgun that are more effective than the traditional run plays. (just don't tell the old-school types)