QB of the Future?

PDaDdy

What about Daryll Clark QB from Penn State?

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingRepo...aryll-Clark.php

I watched a lot of Penn State games this year and he can make plays. He is mobile and can make the throws he should be there in round 3 or 4

I am a huge Penn State fan, but I would pass on Clark. Very questionable accuracy.

In a bunch of different threads people are heatedly discussing our first round draft pick, #9 overall, and whether to draft a LT to protect a QB or to draft our "QB of the future". When the point that a QB of the future's growth and development could be ruined because we don't have an offensive line to protect him people almost unanimously say let the QB of the future sit for a year or two.

My thought is this. If we are only draft our QB of the future to sit the bench for a year or two....why draft him in the first round. IMO a #9 pick QB is a guy that is ready to and SHOULD start now. You don't draft and pay #9 money to a guy that needs to ride pine for a while do to inability to start or quite litteraly fear for his safety.

If the answer is get our QB of the future now and let him sit...we may as well get a project at QB that will be ready to start when the O-line is ready to protect him and aid his development not stunt his growth. I'm just throwing a name out there but "pre-combine" a guy that could be had out side the first 2 rounds is Jevan Snead. I'm am no college football guru but he has a few things that can't be taught like size, mobility and a cannon for an arm.

Thoughts? What other QBs might fit this mold of a later draft pick, mobile, physical, big armed QB that could be groomed in a year or 2 to start? And please, just because a QB has a big arm and is mobile DOESN'T make him JP Losman. He was a reach for a first round pick and we all know how that worked out.

I enjoyed your blog..good job! I was actually all for drafting a QB with the #9 pick, but after reading your blog I don't think our O Line is developed enough to adequately protect a rookie QB (Maybe even a veteran!)..Without a drastic upgrade to our O Line I think you need a VERY mobile QB (Oh no...We'll here about Vick now!...what did I do!)...anyways, a rookie would be fed to the wolves in our current situation..confidence shaken! possibly injured early on! sounds like our QB's now doesn't it! Well after re-thinking my previous position on the draft I have shifted from 1st round QB, 2nd round LT, 3rd round DT....But my new position is #1 pick L OT #2 DT #3 OT #4 LB #5 QB #6 WR #6 S #7 DT #7 CB That is a huge change for me in my thinking but get your project QB in the 4-6 round range. The main thing is to build up your offensive and defensive lines because the "good" teams have great lines. Nothing worse than listening to the sports anyalyst point out and circle how the Bills offensive line is getting pushed backwards by the opposing team or during a replay point out what a big gap the other team's running back had to run through the center of our defense! The main thing in this draft is to get QUALITY not Quantity! Trade up if you can to get into the 1st round twice! But don't trade down to save salary...and whatever the Bills do don't reach for players that are undersized but may develop into their frame like Aaron Maybe Maybin! Should've gone for Brian Orakapo!!!!!!!!!! Watch out for character questions and players like Lynch! Trade him if you can get a fourth round pick or better! I hope they release Trent Edwards....I like Fitszy for a backup or 3rd QB...I don't know about Brohm, but if he is still struggling with the playbook you may want to release him as well! If you can get a mobile veteran FA QB you really have to go for it ! I really don't know if I can deal with ex-cons as my "Leader" so I think a high character guy is important especially when you are trying to rebuild a franchise from top down!

In a bunch of different threads people are heatedly discussing our first round draft pick, #9 overall, and whether to draft a LT to protect a QB or to draft our "QB of the future". When the point that a QB of the future's growth and development could be ruined because we don't have an offensive line to protect him people almost unanimously say let the QB of the future sit for a year or two.

My thought is this. If we are only draft our QB of the future to sit the bench for a year or two....why draft him in the first round. IMO a #9 pick QB is a guy that is ready to and SHOULD start now. You don't draft and pay #9 money to a guy that needs to ride pine for a while do to inability to start or quite litteraly fear for his safety.

If the answer is get our QB of the future now and let him sit...we may as well get a project at QB that will be ready to start when the O-line is ready to protect him and aid his development not stunt his growth. I'm just throwing a name out there but "pre-combine" a guy that could be had out side the first 2 rounds is Jevan Snead. I'm am no college football guru but he has a few things that can't be taught like size, mobility and a cannon for an arm.

Thoughts? What other QBs might fit this mold of a later draft pick, mobile, physical, big armed QB that could be groomed in a year or 2 to start? And please, just because a QB has a big arm and is mobile DOESN'T make him JP Losman. He was a reach for a first round pick and we all know how that worked out.

I saw in two pieces of games and watched long enough to see that what i had heard seemed true . I heard he was a bit indecisive and could make some bad throws and that's what i got out of watching him although it wasn't any full games so I'm not qualified as a judge -- of coarse i'm partial to Dan Lefeavor from CMU , i just think the kid is a winner great stats but a victim of the spread offense from what i'm hereing ??

sounds good (if can't get LeFevour), but still need a QB from free agency.

I say McNabb, or Troy Smith. I'm liking the idea of Troy Smith more & more, sounds like good upside, and won't cost too much, we'd still have our top 3 picks.

Put me in the LeFevour camp. I am against trading draft picks for a stop gap QB. I say lets get some Offensive linemen and linebackers or maybe a stong DT.

OL is a must. Our pass protection is so bad we don't know how good or bad our QB's are. Trent Edwards got hit so much he looks like he had a lobotomy.

I understand the desire to get the QB of the future ASAP. If we had a great offensive line or at least an average one I would agree with you. Problem is that due to youth or lack of talent our offensive line stinks right now.

Help me out with this because I really don't know the answer but....what QB chosen in the top 9 picks in the last 10 years hasn't started by years end? The only guy I can think of is Phillip Rivers and that is only because San Diego had Drew Brees, a great o-line and LT and couldn't trade out of the spot so they had to take Eli who became Rivers.

One quarterback comes immediately to mind: Carson Palmer, chosen first overall, didn't start a game until his second year. During his rookie year he was third string, and remained firmly on the bench. Which is exactly where rookie quarterbacks belong!!

To address your larger point: the Bills are lacking in many positions. Of those, the most difficult to fill, but also the most critical, is the quarterback position. If there's a franchise QB available at #9, we take him. Because we might not have the chance to take a franchise QB next year, or the year after. In fact, we haven't had a franchise QB since Kelly hung up his cleats!

If there isn't a franchise QB available at #9, we look to see if there's a franchise LT. If not, then hopefully there's a franchise DL available!

To address your concern about what to do about a franchise QB when you don't have a line: if the Bills take a non-LT at #9, they should probably use their second and third round picks to trade back into the first round, and grab a LT there. There should still be some good ones available. If in addition to that they re-sign Incognito, the like would look like this:

LT: 1st round pick chosen in the 20s.

LG: Levitre

C: Wood

RG: Incognito

RT: Butler

Not the best line in the league, but certainly respectable! Plus that rookie QB would be on the bench his first year anyway, which would give him the chance to learn, it would give the LT a chance to work through his rookie mistakes, and would give the Bills the chance to evaluate what they have or don't have in Brohm.

there are good arguments for that. otoh, a guy like rivers sat beeing a #4 pick. san diego though could afford to sit him. the state our team is in i agree the #9 pick has to start. and therefore we cant pick a qb.

One quarterback comes immediately to mind: Carson Palmer, chosen first overall, didn't start a game until his second year. During his rookie year he was third string, and remained firmly on the bench. Which is exactly where rookie quarterbacks belong!!

To address your larger point: the Bills are lacking in many positions. Of those, the most difficult to fill, but also the most critical, is the quarterback position. If there's a franchise QB available at #9, we take him. Because we might not have the chance to take a franchise QB next year, or the year after. In fact, we haven't had a franchise QB since Kelly hung up his cleats!

If there isn't a franchise QB available at #9, we look to see if there's a franchise LT. If not, then hopefully there's a franchise DL available!

To address your concern about what to do about a franchise QB when you don't have a line: if the Bills take a non-LT at #9, they should probably use their second and third round picks to trade back into the first round, and grab a LT there. There should still be some good ones available. If in addition to that they re-sign Incognito, the like would look like this:

LT: 1st round pick chosen in the 20s.

LG: Levitre

C: Wood

RG: Incognito

RT: Butler

Not the best line in the league, but certainly respectable! Plus that rookie QB would be on the bench his first year anyway, which would give him the chance to learn, it would give the LT a chance to work through his rookie mistakes, and would give the Bills the chance to evaluate what they have or don't have in Brohm.

But, if the first 3 picks go to a QB and LT, where is the help for the weak defense? I suppose that maybe some help for the D could come in FA, but the Bills' D was LAST in the league against the run. I think that they do have plenty of talent in the secondary, but both DL and LB must be upgraded significantly.

But, if the first 3 picks go to a QB and LT, where is the help for the weak defense? I suppose that maybe some help for the D could come in FA, but the Bills' D was LAST in the league against the run. I think that they do have plenty of talent in the secondary, but both DL and LB must be upgraded significantly.

I agree that my above scenario leaves a number of problems unsolved. But that's unavoidable. This team is in rebuilding mode due to the bad drafts under TD and Marv. Solving its needs would likely require something along the lines of the below plan:

2010 draft:

1a. QB

1b (by trading back into the first): LT

4. DT

5. LB

2011 draft:

1. RDE

2. DT

3. LB

4. LB

5. DT

2012 draft:

1. WR

2. LDE

3. RT

4. LB

The three drafts I've proposed should solve the Bills' major problems, assuming that everyone from rounds 1 - 3 turns into a starting quality player, and assuming that there's one starting quality player from the second day picks each year. I know that's an awful lot of assuming, but when you're a rebuilding team, you have to rely on good drafting to dig yourself out of your present hole.