What would you rather have?

Gotta Dream

What would you rather have?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Draft pick...

• Perennial All-Pro _ Impact player (ie. McClain)
    • Possible above average QB (ie. Bradford/Claussen)

You got me there. But how many "sure thing" QB's picked in the first round become above average QB's? ( I don't have time to look it up). Saying that, how good are these QB's anyway? They are top of the class in this years draft, but how would they stack up against Sanchez?

If you read my entire post you would have read that I said there are no sure things at any position and that a 1st round QB may be a flop in his first year and only we 5 games or so....It's a risk/reward thing that I mentioned before, but if they hit on a franchise QB in the mode of Rothlesberger, Jim Kelly, Peyton Manning or the likes then the reward is sweet! and a QB is a far greater impact player than a lineman or a linebacker or something like that. Each position on a football team is important and that becomes evident in a team like Indy who is a cohesive unit. You need to start with your "Offensive General" the QB and quickly find a left OT to help protect him. Now, there are some traits like being able to sense the pressure coming from the opposing defense that a qb needs to be able to sense. This is one of the many flaws that Trent Edwards has, and he will never be anything more than a serviceable backup QB. Talent evaluation of the college level is nothing but an educated guess and Sanchez had an up and down season. So far he has done good overall leading his team as far as he did into the playoffs. It will take at least 3 years or more normally to evaluate how each individual player has performed in the NFL. Remember, Trent Edwards was streaky and put up some good numbers until he sustained his concussion 2 seasons ago and at that moment everyone thought we had our QB of the future. So give Sanchez a little more time yet before crowning him as a franchise (Sanchize) QB. (Personally I think he will be a good one though!). Bottom line is you have to take some chances based on the best information you can dig up on the players you are going to draft onto your roster. Bradford is a potential bust right from the get go..you never know how a shoulder injury on your throwing side is going to heal..Also Tebow has all the intangibles..but his mechanics are not best suited for the NFL...He is not the best runner like a Vick etc...he runs over players in college but he won't be able to do that to the majority of NFL players who are bigger, and faster. Leflevor...Central Michigan is highly touted by many..but you have to remember he plays against the same inferior talent that the Buffalo Bulls do! That is not the same as going up against Ohio State or Florida State or Penn State! So it's a huge jump for him to make...and pardon the pun but he may find himself out of his leaugue quite literally and also have a difficult time grasping an NFL playbook and competing against superior talent. So I am definitely a skeptic about the top QB's and that includes Jimmy Clausen...but you still have to try!! I think the Bills need to also pick up a skilled FA QB as well...and under the tutalage of a veteran a new QB will have the time necessary to develop his NFL skills, acclimate to the speed of the NFL, and begin to understand the complex playbook that team's utilize.

So as far as how good these QB's are anyways....we'll have to wait and see..but I'd like to have one please Ralphy boyz :unsure:

Is he tough? What is his make-up?

Tough enough to play through a toe injury for 10 games this year. Eventually required surgery:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4799490

"Clausen was injured Sept. 19 when his foot was pinned backward by Michigan State linebacker Eric Gordon. He was diagnosed with turf toe, and although he played the last 10 games of the season in pain, the quarterback finished second in the nation in passing efficiency with 28 touchdowns, only four interceptions and a 68.0 completion percentage.

Clausen hoped the injury was behind him when he resumed throwing and lifting weights in late December. But after tossing a deep pass to former Illinois receiver Arrelious Benn, he felt more pain. His agent, Gary Wichard, suggested he undergo an MRI, and the results revealed the two torn ligaments in his right big toe -- on the foot he plants with when he throws.

An injury to the plant foot is more likely to hurt a QB's on-field ability than a non-plant-foot injury, but it didn't seem to affect Clausen that much. I like the fact that he can play through pain and still be effective.

I HATED him when he came to ND out of high school (and I disliked ND in general under Weis), and I still think Clausen's a total d-bag, but I'd be thrilled if the Bills drafted him. Phillip Rivers might be the biggest d-bag in the NFL, but it doesn't stop him from being a great QB. Nobody's a guarantee, but Clausen has all the tools and experience necessary to succeed in the NFL. And having watched a decent number of his games last year, I'm convinced that he's the real deal.

QUESTION: would i want a QB from the "above average list below" or a perennial ALL-PRO at another position??

ANSWER: i would MUCH rather have "most" of the QB's from that above average list !!

i will have to assume you are making a difference between perennial "ALL-PRO" (elite) & perennial Pro Bowler (very good) versus an above average QB.......

Perennial ALL PRO QB's - P. Manning, Brees & Brady

Perennial Pro Bowl level - Farve, Warner

Perennial Above average QB's - Philip Rivers, Carson Palmer, Arron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, Donovan McNabb, Tony Romo, Eli Manning, Matt Ryan, Matt Schaub, Vince Young, Jay Cutler, Matt Hasselbeck, Joe Flacco, Matt Cassel

Up & Coming- Stafford, Sanchez, Kolb, Orton, Quinn, Garrard , Campbell , (Bradford & Clausen)

NOTABLE CRAP: Trent Edwards and Ryan Fitzpatrick

Bradford is a potential bust right from the get go..you never know how a shoulder injury on your throwing side is going to heal..Also Tebow has all the intangibles..but his mechanics are not best suited for the NFL...He is not the best runner like a Vick etc...he runs over players in college but he won't be able to do that to the majority of NFL players who are bigger, and faster. Leflevor...Central Michigan is highly touted by many..but you have to remember he plays against the same inferior talent that the Buffalo Bulls do! That is not the same as going up against Ohio State or Florida State or Penn State! So it's a huge jump for him to make...and pardon the pun but he may find himself out of his leaugue quite literally and also have a difficult time grasping an NFL playbook and competing against superior talent. So I am definitely a skeptic about the top QB's and that includes Jimmy Clausen...but you still have to try!! I think the Bills need to also pick up a skilled FA QB as well...and under the tutalage of a veteran a new QB will have the time necessary to develop his NFL skills, acclimate to the speed of the NFL, and begin to understand the complex playbook that team's utilize.

So as far as how good these QB's are anyways....we'll have to wait and see..but I'd like to have one please Ralphy boyz :unsure:

You make some great points, and that is what worries me. I'm afraid of this weak class of QB's and their question marks? The Bills do not have a good record of identifying even average quarterbacks. I wouldn't want to "reach" or "settle" on a QB this year, just because we need one. I agree with a skilled FA QB, and maybe "reach" for a QB after the 1st round. I admit, I only know about the QB's from watching only a few games, and from the posts that are here, but it doesn't seem like a very strong class.

Go FA this year, pick up a "sure-fire" prospect at #9 and build this team for a run in a few years.

imo, hands down you take the above average QB in this league. Patrick Willis will be an all-pro for years to come, but he won't get a WHIFF of the playoffs until the 49ers get their QB situation fixed. Meanwhile, the Dolphins went from arguably the worst team in the NFL to playoff contenders OVERNIGHT with the addition of an above average QB in Chad Pennington.