ESPN Truth and Rumors: Buffalo and Vick

sharper802

Do you honestly believe Mike Vick actually was hands on in killing dogs? If so you don't understand the NFL lifestyle. Vick never even had to come in contact with a dog. He had people for that. The disconnect was so, that if he or most any other NFLer wanted something illegal done, that he would just have one of his cronies do it for him. Mike Vick never electrocuted or drowned dogs. It happened on property he owned, and yes with his knowledge. There is no getting around that he broke the law and that he may have knew that this kind of thing was going on, but to put him at the pinnacle of the physical abuse is absurd. I'm sure Jarred Allen has cut the heads off of a chicken or two in his day. Get a grip.

And for the record, no to Vick, because of football.

Uh...well, for what it is worth, testimony in the case said that Vick did have an hand in the actual killing of dogs...he admitted it himself, according to federal investigators. You are acting as if the dogs were killed for welching on bet, with the mafia... that is what makes Vick so despicable to many... so tell us what we don't understand about the "NFL lifestyle"....

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/08/24/michael.vick/index.html

"In papers filed Friday with a federal court in Virginia, Vick also admitted that he and two co-conspirators killed dogs that did not fight well.

Falcons owner Arthur Blank said Vick's admissions describe actions that are "incomprehensible and unacceptable."

OR

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/18048882/detail.html

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what exactly, does anyone know, is Jim Kelly's relationship with the Buffalo Bills? I have to believe, if he has any voice in the organization, he is telling them "just say no to Mike Vick"...

Also, at the risk of sounding stupid (never stopped me before I know) maybe Buddy Nix, and Chan Gailey, being southerners, are not as uncomfortable with he dog thing as some of us might be? And, if Gailey is the great utilizer of offensive talent that he is purported to be, why not take a chance on Vick? He is a unique talent... maybe not a great NFL QB, but a unique talent none the less...

What exactly is that supposed to mean?

What exactly is that supposed to mean?

Not to offend anyone...but when the story first broke, a number of athletes, and commentators made the statement that there was, and always has been, a large dog fighting culture in many southern states. I think some people were, honestly, shocked by how offensive this whole thing was, because they had been around it all of their lives. HBO ran a piece on Real Sports about the dog fighting scene in the deep south, and explained that it had strong roots to the days of slavery, when slaves would gather, after hours, in plantation farm houses, and pit dogs against one another, as entertainment.

I agree that he has served some time for the crimes, and he has a right to move on with his life. But I do not think it should be in the NFL, and I will not support or spend money on any team that employees someone like him. Personal choice yes, but its allot more than letting dogs fight each other or torturing and killing the animals in my opinion.

That's the problem. You don't know who is employed by any team or company in any walk of life. Michael Vick isn't a new phenomenon. Bernie Madoff worked for someone at some point. We could go on and on. Just because you don't hear of something doesn't mean something isn't going on within a company. Where do you draw the line? You don't think it should be in the NFL why? He served his time. He has to work somewhere. If people in the NFL are willing to hire him and he has the skills to work there what's the issue?

Not to offend anyone...but when the story first broke, a number of athletes, and commentators made the statement that there was, and always has been, a large dog fighting culture in many southern states. I think some people were, honestly, shocked by how offensive this whole thing was, because they had been around it all of their lives. HBO ran a piece on Real Sports about the dog fighting scene in the deep south, and explained that it had strong roots to the days of slavery, when slaves would gather, after hours, in plantation farm houses, and pit dogs against one another, as entertainment.

Some slave owners used to put their actual slaves into pit as well to fight as entertainment.

Get no arguement from me. I wouldn't want any of them near my team. It amazes me how easily people forget this stuff. In my mind Kobe Bryant is rapist first and maybe top5 basketball player of all time second. Never live it down in my mind.

He wasn't convicted of rape.

Hell even Whoopi Goldbergh almost laughed it off on the View before she caught herself. Then she said something to the effect it is not as bad as hitting your wife.

The fact of the matter is this: Those of us screaming out our rage against Michael Vick and his cohorts are the same people screaming about the atrocities being perpetrated to humans around the globe. Those of you defending Michael Vick and trying to spin this against us are the same people who NEVER get involved in ANY advocacy of ANY kind, either for humans OR animals. You're not fooling anybody.

You can't say this as a fact. Some people defend Michael Vick because they are fans of the Bills; a football organization whose mission is to win football games. Vick is a better QB than any on the current roster, no matter what people want to make up to say otherwise. He might be able to help the Bills win more football games than the current lineup of QB's and should therefore be considered for the roster. Some people defend Vick because the man was tried, convicted and served his time for his criminal actions. I fall into both camps. And I have been a member of Amnesty International for years and work with foster youth on weekly basis. I don't see how, in a system designed for rehabilitation, no one wants to allow rehabilitation to take place.

Ugh Yeah, that dog fighting culture is more prevalent among black people, more so than the south in general. Hate to be the bearer of such shocking news but its true. For some reason, there is a large % of the African American culture in the south that places little to no value on the life of animals and since dog fighting can be a profitable venture, that can fascilitate other illegal activities, it is tremendously common in their lower income communities.

Disclaimer: This is not intended to be a racist comment, it's a first hand observation from living in the south, if you would like I can easily admit that the vast majority of people involved in Crystal meth labs are probably white trashy people with mullets, and wife beaters that look like they could be body doubles for Kid Rock.

Please feel free to discuss, but do not attack me, thank you.

Ugh Yeah, that dog fighting culture is more prevalent among black people, more so than the south in general. Hate to be the bearer of such shocking news but its true. For some reason, there is a large % of the African American culture in the south that places little to no value on the life of animals and since dog fighting can be a profitable venture, that can fascilitate other illegal activities, it is tremendously common in their lower income communities.

Disclaimer: This is not intended to be a racist comment, it's a first hand observation from living in the south, if you would like I can easily admit that the vast majority of people involved in Crystal meth labs are probably white trashy people with mullets, and wife beaters that look like they could be body doubles for Kid Rock.

Please feel free to discuss, but do not attack me, thank you.

Why would I attack? I think you are saying the same thing I am. I realize that after the Vick story broke there were numerous dog-fighting rings busted up all over the country, many in the south, but also places like Chicago and Philadelphia.

My original comment about Nix and Gailey was made, not as some slam on the south or southerners (I live in Texas, south-west), just an observation that those guys both have strong ties to college football in the south, so they have likely known of the dog-fighting scene (if that is what you call it) for many years. If you recall, numerous athletes (most black, and from the south) at the time of the Vick arrest had a "huh? what is the big deal?" reaction. Maybe Nix and/or Gailey, rumored to be interested in bringing Vick to Buffalo, don't quite understand the concern many would have with this, in western New York. That was really my point.

Seriously, I really didn't mean to offend anyone. This is not a black and white issue (no pun intended), it has a lot of different subtleties.

Michael Vick got a standing ovation in Atlanta this year when he played. If those fans accepted him back. Why can't we. If he helps us win. I am all for him. I firmly believe he is a better QB than any person on our roster. Football players have proven over and over again, that they are not modle citizens. IF you expect them to be role models you are doomed for failure. Michael Vick did nothing different than what he was culturally taught his whole life. Was it right, no of course not. I personally think that beating your wife /girlfriend are way worse. Organized dog fighting has been around almost as long as people have been. HE PAID HIS DEBT TO SOCIETY. So please people come down from the clouds and get your feet back on the ground. We do not live in a perfect world with perfect people.

Do you honestly believe Mike Vick actually was hands on in killing dogs? If so you don't understand the NFL lifestyle. Vick never even had to come in contact with a dog. He had people for that. The disconnect was so, that if he or most any other NFLer wanted something illegal done, that he would just have one of his cronies do it for him. Mike Vick never electrocuted or drowned dogs. It happened on property he owned, and yes with his knowledge. There is no getting around that he broke the law and that he may have knew that this kind of thing was going on, but to put him at the pinnacle of the physical abuse is absurd. I'm sure Jarred Allen has cut the heads off of a chicken or two in his day. Get a grip.

And for the record, no to Vick, because of football.

WOW.....

uninformed poster is uninformed.... you need a tall glass of Google, my friend.

You actually have NO idea what you are talking about, at all, not even a little bit. You're actually saying the EXACT opposite of what Mike Vick himself said. This is actually kinda funny....

But ya, he's an upgrade over what we have now.

why not. guy made a serious mistake and is now 1 yr through an nfl season. he knows where he stands. he will give back to the community. id take him. with a young qb as well...

vick paid his price. let the dog thing go. PETA people go away . this is the NFL, not a choir. these guys are not angels. and this guy, unlike many others, paid the price. the price has been paid. if we can get him cheap and he proves he can still play, our team needs a guy like that...

like anything it depends what we'd have to give up to get for him. in a lot of ways he's like a rookie that we'd be taking a flyer on. but for the right price, definitely for sure.

on the dog thing, im a big animal lover and have had pets all my life. i was disgusted when i heard what he'd done. but i thought his apology was one of the most sincere id ever heard, as it was unprepared, unlike so many these days that are written by pr agents. he's paid his dues and maybe theres a chance all the hardship hes been through have made him a better person.

I am getting so sick of all this dog business, it has to stop!!! Are you a !@#$ing vegetarian?? Millions of Chicken's are slaughtered weekly, where is the remorse for them? They sit in a pen their whole lives being stuffed with hormones and then get their heads chopped off. But my god! Vick killed some dogs, and I own a dog! I'm never gonna let this stand He's a terrible human blah blah blah, what a crock of ****. Just get over it, he served his time let it be.

I don't agree. Forgive and forget? No thanks.

there are way worse people in the league than vick that are even more appalling............. from a human sense.

leonard little, donte stallworth, ray lewis were all involved in the killing of people. not animals, but people.

and then there's the dozens of cases of players beating the wife, girlfriend, ect.

you talk about human garbage? these are the truest, Consistent with fact or reality, examples of human garbage

dont forget "The Quiet Killer" Marvin Harrison

all vick did was drown some pooches...bring him in....BIG UPGRADE and we dont have to waste a draft pick this year on a mediocre QB