Well that is interesting

Coach Tuesday

From the "Ask Donahoe" article at BB.com:

Jimi (Poughkeepsie, NY): Tom, it seemed in past years you were very defensive when criticized about your decisions as GM. Now that you're answering these weekly questions on the website, is there any decision you've made in your tenure with Buffalo that you regret?

There are obviously some you would like to do over. Hindsight is always 20-20, but looking back, there probably would have been some different coaching decisions made after the second year when our team went 8-8.

Well, sheeeet, Tom - didn't you tell us to "save the postage" on that one? I think you owe us each a stamp.

Jimi (Poughkeepsie, NY): Tom, it seemed in past years you were very defensive when criticized about your decisions as GM. Now that you're answering these weekly questions on the website, is there any decision you've made in your tenure with Buffalo that you regret?

There are obviously some you would like to do over. Hindsight is always 20-20, but looking back, there probably would have been some different coaching decisions made after the second year when our team went 8-8.

Well, sheeeet, Tom - didn't you tell us to "save the postage" on that one?  I think you owe us each a stamp.

129789[/snapback]

You don't think that was in reference to a certain special teams coach?

i took it as the changes that were made at coordinaters, thats the year they brought in Gilbride isnt it? i know they def changed ST coaches. i dont think that comment was about GW

Well, sheeeet, Tom - didn't you tell us to "save the postage" on that one?  I think you owe us each a stamp.

129789[/snapback]

I had a chuckle at that too. At least he admits to making mistakes, no matter which coach or coaches he meant.

Certainly after the second season when we improved from 3-13 to 8-8 I still advocated canning GW that off-season because it seemed clear to me he could not do the job unless TD was willing to intrude pretty forcefully. He did not do this because if he did it likely would have meant he might has well fire GW since an OC changes of KG would have meant declaring GW a 2 time loser at hiring an OC (Shwppard and then KG) and this would have been on top of him bringing in his buddy LeBeau to augment Gray.

Even additional subsidiary changes like KG, Smith or whatever would have been sucha vote of no confidence in GW that he may have well have canned him. In retrospect he should have.

Not referring to GW at all. Why would he fire a coach that had a five game improvement? He wouldn't.

And overall, although our record has stunk TD has done some very good things. Straightened out the cap, took Moulds over Wiley when they were free agents, franchised Price and essentially got McGahee for Price (ask Atlanta how he's doing for the 10 million signing bonus), Milloy, Adams, Fletcher, Spikes, T Mcgee and Fast Freddie in the later rounds. Even the B?ledsoe trade at the time--remember our options were a guy who was a Pro Bowlerand won an AFC championship game for his team that year, Rob Johnson or Jeff Blake. Take your pick and 99% of us would have done the same thing.

He made a mistake with GW, and MM remains to be seen. But give some balanced perspective to the whole thing.