Does Ralph Owe Buffalo a Succession Plan?

wisebill

You're not sure?

Maybe the folks at the St. John Fisher Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education can help you decide...

RCWSOE

If not, try Hospice Buffalo...

Mary & Ralph Wilson Hospice Inpatient Unit & Counseling Ctr

If you're still not sure, ask some of the folks at Hunter's Hope, The Mayo Clinic, Roswell Park, Cleveland Clinic, University of Miami, etc., etc.

RCW Medical Research Foundation

If you're not sure after all that, ask Kevin Everett - it was RW-funded research and treatment of spinal injuries that saved Kevin from paralysis.

I'm sooooo freakin' tired of folks raggin' on Ralph - particularly when all they care about is a freakin' football team and their own self-interest, but are seemingly in the dark about all of RW's humanitarian contributions to WNY and beyond.

I wonder how many remember that, in the late 80's/early 90's, Boston almost lost the Cheatriettes* to St. Louis, then Memphis, and then nearly to Hartford? I'll bet Wilson DOES have ideas, if not an actual plan, to help the Bills remain and survive in WNY, but to say he OWES us one is ridiculous. Art Modell, Georgia Frontiere, Bob Irsay, Al Davis, and many other NFL owners in much larger markets than BuffTown would have cashed-out and moved the Bills YEARS ago.

Again, JMO. Folks are welcome to disagree. (But they'd be wrong. :devil: )

So Ralph Wilson is the one who saved Kevin Everett ? I KNEW there was somethin about that guy.........

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RW doesn't "owe" buffalo anything. Its a business and when he goes I suspect the family will unload it to whoever puts up the most financially attractive package without any significant regard for where the franchise goes. That isn't as bad as it sounds because in my opinion Buffalo is not that bad a site with a loyal fan base, connections to Toronto and Western New York as far as Albany etc. Given the failure of a number of LA NFL, AFL and other pro football teams in LA I just wonder if one will be put together.

Or has he already been clear: Team will be sold to highest bidder when he goes.

Yes he does. 50 years of strong support that has done him well. I see no reaosn why he couldn't end his legacy with a class move.

but since he hasn't he has basically held the fans of the Bills hostage, and for that he has lost most all respect in this area.

You're not sure?

Maybe the folks at the St. John Fisher Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education can help you decide...

RCWSOE

If not, try Hospice Buffalo...

Mary & Ralph Wilson Hospice Inpatient Unit & Counseling Ctr

If you're still not sure, ask some of the folks at Hunter's Hope, The Mayo Clinic, Roswell Park, Cleveland Clinic, University of Miami, etc., etc.

RCW Medical Research Foundation

If you're not sure after all that, ask Kevin Everett - it was RW-funded research and treatment of spinal injuries that saved Kevin from paralysis.

I'm sooooo freakin' tired of folks raggin' on Ralph - particularly when all they care about is a freakin' football team and their own self-interest, but are seemingly in the dark about all of RW's humanitarian contributions to WNY and beyond.

I wonder how many remember that, in the late 80's/early 90's, Boston almost lost the Cheatriettes* to St. Louis, then Memphis, and then nearly to Hartford? I'll bet Wilson DOES have ideas, if not an actual plan, to help the Bills remain and survive in WNY, but to say he OWES us one is ridiculous. Art Modell, Georgia Frontiere, Bob Irsay, Al Davis, and many other NFL owners in much larger markets than BuffTown would have cashed-out and moved the Bills YEARS ago.

Again, JMO. Folks are welcome to disagree. (But they'd be wrong. :devil: )

He invests in the charities he likes, to save tax money. Thats it. All that money would have been going to the state coffers instead he chose where to put it.

Not wrong, not right. But he did not do it out of the kindness of his heart, rather he donated on the advice of his tax attorney.

And you notice he put his name on all the stuff he gave to, whilst taking his deductions.

I would just as soon he paid his taxes.....

It's a well known fact to most peoplel that selling the team is Ralph's only viable option. No one in his family wants to keep running it, and this was before his daughter Linda died. If they were to keep the team the estate taxes would be punishing. Selling the team takes care of the tax issue and leaves his family or whoever is in his will a very good return on his initial investment. Selling to the higher bidder would make sense. Wouldn't it be to you if you owned it? So that's the plan. What we don't know is who if anyone can somehow come up with enough money and backing to be in consideration to be the next owner and keep the team in Buffalo. That's why everyone is nervous but I don't think Ralph owes anyone anything to address that. This who is the next owner thing is really someone elses plan, not Ralph's.

It's a well known fact to most peoplel that selling the team is Ralph's only viable option. No one in his family wants to keep running it, and this was before his daughter Linda died. If they were to keep the team the estate taxes would be punishing. Selling the team takes care of the tax issue and leaves his family or whoever is in his will a very good return on his initial investment. Selling to the higher bidder would make sense. Wouldn't it be to you if you owned it? So that's the plan. What we don't know is who if anyone can somehow come up with enough money and backing to be in consideration to be the next owner and keep the team in Buffalo. That's why everyone is nervous but I don't think Ralph owes anyone anything to address that. This who is the next owner thing is really someone elses plan, not Ralph's.

Simple answer to that manufactured, convoluted "problem." Sell it before he dies. But he won't because he wants to level one final "eff you, fans, it's MY team" on his way out the door.

So Ralph Wilson is the one who saved Kevin Everett ? I KNEW there was somethin about that guy.........

Sure. Didn't you see RW down there on the field, immobilizing KE's head and spine, loading Kevin in the ambulance, then hopping in the driver's seat and speeding off the field to Millard Fillmore Gates Circle? :devil:

Link - Everett´s innovative treatment connected to team owner Ralph Wilson´s philanthropic work

to me, it would be worth my family getting a few less million dollars (than the already rediculous amount) in order for the franchise I created, which is very visible and followed all around the world, which is a sports team that people flock to and celebrate 10 times a year at a stadium named after me... to live on.

to me, it would be worth my family getting a few less million dollars (than the already rediculous amount) in order for the franchise I created, which is very visible and followed all around the world, which is a sports team that people flock to and celebrate 10 times a year at a stadium named after me... to live on.

Exactly. He's set to reap a profit of hundreds of millions of dollars if he sells...even AFTER taxes. But in further proof that the man is all about the dollar, he's willing to let it go AFTER he dies to the highest bidder, knowing full well that the team WILL move when he kicks the bucket. Sorry, but I don't buy that WE owe Ralph Wilson any kind of repect when we know what he's doing will screw us in the end.

I think it is screwing himself in a way.

The franchise he built for 50+ years could live on. The stadium which is viewed globally many times a year will bear his name. He would be on the wall of fame/some greater honor in the stadium overlooking the games... that kind of thing would give me comfort in passing.... that such a great thing will live on. If they go to the highest bidder and blot for LA, it will in effect be an expansion team and Ralph Wilson's creation will be erased.

Almost every Sabres game I attend, I look at the SHKIII and NRK banners and say a thank you.

I happen to agree with the principle here, but there is another problem. Anyone who buys this franchise will have to leverage it pretty heavily, and that would produce immediate pressure to move, since it is not clear that the annual profit of the team would look good as amortization on, say, $600 million in borrowed money. Selling the team thus would endanger it more immediately than waiting.

Just a thought.

He invests in the charities he likes, to save tax money. Thats it. All that money would have been going to the state coffers instead he chose where to put it.

Not wrong, not right. But he did not do it out of the kindness of his heart, rather he donated on the advice of his tax attorney.

And you notice he put his name on all the stuff he gave to, whilst taking his deductions.

I would just as soon he paid his taxes.....

Well, I don't see Ralph's name on the Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, or Roswell Park CI, but maybe you can tell me where it is since you apparently have access to the inner recesses of Ralph's mind. You don't suppose maybe he donates to hospice and cancer treatment & research because he lost a daughter to cancer, no? And I'm sure Kevin Everett would prefer RW continue funding spinal research rather than government pork, but thanks anyway for that insight into Ralph's inner psyche, and what motivates the man. You have a gift. Tell me, do you have that same view into everyone's inner thoughts, or just Wilson's? :devil:

I think it is screwing himself in a way.

The franchise he built for 50+ years could live on. The stadium which is viewed globally many times a year will bear his name. He would be on the wall of fame/some greater honor in the stadium overlooking the games... that kind of thing would give me comfort in passing.... that such a great thing will live on. If they go to the highest bidder and blot for LA, it will in effect be an expansion team and Ralph Wilson's creation will be erased.

Almost every Sabres game I attend, I look at the SHKIII and NRK banners and say a thank you.

And you don't think Tommy G. would sell the team for the right ROI? :devil:

Ok. Let's all remember this thread. When RW goes and the team is sold and moved, let's not hear how awful it all is. The majority on this thread say that RW owes us nothing. Ok then. When the team moves post-RW, no crying or whining, ok?

I believe that RW has an obligation, although not a debt to the area. I feel he is obliged to make every reasonable attempt to keep the team in town while at the same time securing the financial future of his family. Both can be done and I dont think it would be that hard to do.

I stand by my previous comments that the team will be sold and moved upon RWs demise. It probably wont happen instantly, but a couple of years after his passing, the team will be gone. Public pressure can be an amazing thing. If the area fans REALLY want to keep the team, they should not be giving in and telling the world that RW owes us nothing. You've let the man off the hook emotionally and that practically guarantees that they will move. Make a stink! Tell RW that he has an obligation to the area and that his legacy depends on it. It may not make a difference, but it beats the heck out of giving up.