I wanna talk about Maybin

Thoner7

Maybin is not a DE. He simply never was. He is too weak and does not use leverage. I do not see how he will ever be able to rush the passer, and I dont even wanna talk about his play against the run. Therefore he cannot be a 4-3 DE if he cannot rush the passer. If this team goes to the 3-4, the only thing that will change is A) Maybin will now be listed as an OLB on the officail roster, and B) he will rush from a 2 point stance and not a 3 point stance. Now How exactly will either of those two things help him rush the passer? It wont as the LT will still be able to dominate him physically.

Basically I don't see Maybin as the pass rusher we were supposed to be getting when we drafted him. So what are our options?

In a 4-3 he is surely athletic enough to play Will. I am not sure he is stout enough to play Sam. Either way we need help at both positions. I think the sooner he is a 4-3 OLb the better - if that is the D we run next season.

3-4, I dont see him playing the Ware/Merriman/Harrison ROLB aka pass rusher role for reasons stated above. That doesn't mean he couldn't play inside or on the left side at OLB, where his pass rushing duties would be decreased. I think relying on him to play the pass rushing role, if we go 3-4 in 2010, would be a huge mistake.

Overall I think his best fit would be 4-3 OLB, most likely as a Will where he wont have to take on as many blocks and will be able to flow to the ball using his acceleration and quickness.

Flame on

Maybin is not a DE. He simply never was. He is too weak and does not use leverage. I do not see how he will ever be able to rush the passer, and I dont even wanna talk about his play against the run. Therefore he cannot be a 4-3 DE if he cannot rush the passer. If this team goes to the 3-4, the only thing that will change is A) Maybin will now be listed as an OLB on the officail roster, and B) he will rush from a 2 point stance and not a 3 point stance. Now How exactly will either of those two things help him rush the passer? It wont as the LT will still be able to dominate him physically.

Basically I don't see Maybin as the pass rusher we were supposed to be getting when we drafted him. So what are our options?

In a 4-3 he is surely athletic enough to play Will. I am not sure he is stout enough to play Sam. Either way we need help at both positions. I think the sooner he is a 4-3 OLb the better - if that is the D we run next season.

3-4, I dont see him playing the Ware/Merriman/Harrison ROLB aka pass rusher role for reasons stated above. That doesn't mean he couldn't play inside or on the left side at OLB, where his pass rushing duties would be decreased. I think relying on him to play the pass rushing role, if we go 3-4 in 2010, would be a huge mistake.

Overall I think his best fit would be 4-3 OLB, most likely as a Will where he wont have to take on as many blocks and will be able to flow to the ball using his acceleration and quickness.

Flame on

I actually see a move to LB as a real good thing...him and Nic Harris along with Mitchell and Poz looks pretty good potentially and allows us to focus on OT and DE early in the draft...

We will only be able to see if Maybin is/is not a bust if the Bills go into a 3-4 scheme with him as a OLB. He cannot operate, in my opinion, on a consistent player without this.

If the Bills dropped him, he would be snatched in a heatbeat by a team currently running a 3-4.

Flame on

This is the NFL, you can't just throw a guy into a position he's never played before and expect it to work out.

It would be a long, difficult process for him, with no promises that he's ever even good enough to start. It's fundamentally different from moving someone from CB to FS, or DT to DE...there are skills and reads and techniques at LB that a defensive line player has simply never ever been asked to make.

If they're considering this, his chances of living up to his draft status are slim to none, and slim is leaving town

This is the NFL, you can't just throw a guy into a position he's never played before and expect it to work out.

It would be a long, difficult process for him, with no promises that he's ever even good enough to start. It's fundamentally different from moving someone from CB to FS, or DT to DE...there are skills and reads and techniques at LB that a defensive line player has simply never ever been asked to make.

If they're considering this, his chances of living up to his draft status are slim to none, and slim is leaving town

Way too early to give up on Maybins potential. We all knew he wouldn't come in and be a stud right away. If he puts some weight on and is coached up a bit , I think he could have a exceptional sophmore year.

Way too early to give up on Maybins potential. We all knew he wouldn't come in and be a stud right away. If he puts some weight on and is coached up a bit , I think he could have a exceptional sophmore year.

I guess we're stuck now - we need DE's. Is Schobel really retiring?

its called speed

By your implication one would think that Whitner, Evans, and McKelvin would be All Pro DEs.

We will only be able to see if Maybin is/is not a bust if the Bills go into a 3-4 scheme with him as a OLB. He cannot operate, in my opinion, on a consistent player without this.

If the Bills dropped him, he would be snatched in a heatbeat by a team currently running a 3-4.

Again, I am not sure where this notion of Maybin as a stud 3-4 OLB came from. He will be asked to play the exact same role of pass rusher as he did this year. If you dont remember, Maybin had 0 sacks, 0 QB knockdowns, 0 QB hurries. Somehow him being listed as a LB on the roster will change that?

I understand it may be difficult to switch positions. But his chance of success -albiet still incredibly small - is much much higher at 4-3 OLB than 4-3 DE.

Everyone seems to think they know what to do with Maybin. Everyone wants to turn him into a LB, yet everything I've read suggests he's played DE his entire football life. Is he going to suddenly learn how to drop back into coverage? Is he suddenly going to learn the reads?

Look, Maybin played at Penn State at 236. As soon as he bulked up to 249 his speed decreased significantly. The problem is that even when his speed dropped off, his new weight didn't provide him with NFL strength. That's evidenced by him beating absolutely no one this year on the edge.

I think Maybin busts. I thought that two months before the NFL draft, and nothing has happened to change my mind. I also think we've had more than enough Maybin threads and we certainly didn't need another one, especially one that merely regurgitates the suggestion that he move to LB.