Is it Me, or Has This Board...

If it's family, one's a tragedy.  If it's a military commitment of 125,000 men, 1000 is nothing.  Ultimately, conquering and occupying a country for the loss of 1000 soldiers is astoundingly cheap in military terms. 

The key being: "in military terms".  Don't mix your contexts.  In fact, get used to not mixing your contexts.  A LOT more Americans are going to become casualties before the war on terrorism is over.

10059[/snapback]

Though the military one does not particularly agree with me (I've got problems -- "you mean beyond pacifism?"), I think mixing contexts is actually important as it forces one to consider the situation from another perspective; in fact I think it's very important. I know the military folks won't agree with me on this, as it is so ingrained in military philosophy to have a singular perspective that doesn't disturb from the objective at hand. I respect and honor those who have served. But I'd never make a good soldier because I cannot separate humanity from my perspective and I would not be able to take part in a conflict that I did not agree with. I am too in love with life, and I don't just mean my own.

Michael Moore's example in this case kind of trivialized the situation and probably alienated some people, but I think he was dead on in this: if all the members of Congress had a child in the military, I don't believe you would see them for a second voting to send their children to Iraq. On the other hand, if they were going to Afghanistan to fight the people who actually attacked us, I think you would see less hesitation.

My point was that Iraq was a war of choice and that those 1,000 soldiers is a lot considering there were very sketchy reasons for taking over a sovereign nation by force, as compared to the worst battles in our civil war.

And am I the only one who thinks we have much more to worry about in NK and Iran than we EVER did with Iraq?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer the original question, it could be that:

1) There isn't much of a "forum" any more in terms of there being discussion or debate, unless one counts name-calling and personal insults.

2) The topics are generally not worth addressing, seemingly ripped from the pages of the National Enquirer.

3) The atmosphere is distasteful. After being away a few days, then coming back and sampling the posts, I was put in mind of entering a room where something foul and fetid dwelled. Perhaps it's all the bottom-dwellers, I don't know, but it would be more pleasant sniffing a diaper pail if you ask me.

4) Or perhaps it's just mere courtesy, not wishing to interrupt the delusional circle-jerk you've all been enjoying.

Have a nice day! :doh:

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
To answer the original question, it could be that:

1) There isn't much of a "forum" any more in terms of there being discussion or debate, unless one counts name-calling and personal insults.

2) The topics are generally not worth addressing, seemingly ripped from the pages of the National Enquirer.

3) The atmosphere is distasteful.  After being away a few days, then coming back and sampling the posts, I was put in mind of entering a room where something foul and fetid dwelled.  Perhaps it's all the bottom-dwellers, I don't know, but it would be more pleasant sniffing a diaper pail if you ask me.

4) Or perhaps it's just mere courtesy, not wishing to interrupt the delusional circle-jerk you've all been enjoying.

Have a nice day! :doh:

10215[/snapback]

To be fair, what is bottom-dwellers, sniffing a diaper pail, and something foul and fetid dwelled? I believe those are name-calling and personal insult examples.

You don't help when you post that. You only prove their point when you do that... you MUST take a deep breath, and be above that kind of stuff.

Well, I gave it a good try :lol:

Just my worthless $0.02.

For a while now, I have been trying to push for reasonable, intelligent discussion. Everytime I bring it up, I get shouted down, laughed at, etc. Personally, I am sick of the bullstevestojan on this board. Posters like LBG, Tenny, RiO, and Captain America/Boomer make it impossible to discuss things. When you do try to bring stuff up when they are not here, you are still stuck with people who do nothing more than cut-and-paste from campaign websites (Bush and Kerry), which also makes it impossible to discuss things intelligently. The "yeah, but Bush..." responses are ridiculous, and immediately ruin the thread. If we are talking about Kerry, stick with the issue at hand. If we are talking about Bush, stick with the issue at hand.

As I said, I am tired of the bullstevestojan, so I am going on the offensive. You bring crap to the board, I will throw it back in your face. I am tired of it, and I am not going to take it anymore.

Again, my worthless $0.02.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

Well I was flipped off by Captain America, called a spermsuit by RKFast, and many other names, but I took them with a grain of salt. I think when things are said on the board like that, it is when people don't have a worthy rebuttal. I take it that way, and move on. I'm 31, not 18, and so people calling me names doesn't have the ol sting like it used to whan I was a kid :doh:

Well I was flipped off by Captain America, called a spermsuit by RKFast, and many other names, but I took them with a grain of salt. I think when things are said on the board like that, it is when people don't have a worthy rebuttal. I take it that way, and move on. I'm 31, not 18, and so people calling me names doesn't have the ol sting like it used to whan I was a kid :)

10272[/snapback]

Shoot if if was only those two I wouldn't have wasted my best sarcasm. :)

Taking the high road gets old after awhile and I won't do it. I won't institute an attack on anyone here but I don't have to take one either.

Look at it this way: The Swift Boat Liars for Bush attacked Kerry. He brushed it off for 3 weeks or so. It kept up. He fought back and sure enough an AP Poll has just come out stating that almost 50% of Americans think the Bush campaign is behind it (well, maybe because it's true). The point is had Kerry not acted, it might have stuck. Instead the Bush campaign has egg on its face.

There are times to fight, and times to keep quiet. I'd not said anything to anyone but this thread broached ther topic and I answered.

I'm not criticizing you or taking anything away from you - good for you if it rolls off your back. Maybe you're a better person than me, but we're certainly different. It wouldn't matter if I was Mother Teresa, they'd still skewer me. Since I'm not Mother Teresa, I can tell them to pound salt, and I will. They certainly shouldn't judge you by what I do.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
Shoot if if was only those two I wouldn't have wasted my best sarcasm.  :)

Taking the high road gets old after awhile and I won't do it.  I won't institute an attack on anyone here but I don't have to take one either.

Look at it this way:  The Swift Boat Liars for Bush attacked Kerry.  He brushed it off for 3 weeks or so.  It kept up.  He fought back and sure enough an AP Poll has just come out stating that almost 50% of Americans think the Bush campaign is behind it (well, maybe because it's true).  The point is had Kerry not acted, it might have stuck.  Instead the Bush campaign has egg on its face.

There are times to fight, and times to keep quiet.  I'd not said anything to anyone but this thread broached ther topic and I answered. 

I'm not criticizing you or taking anything away from you - good for you if it rolls off your back.  Maybe you're a better person than me, but we're certainly different.  It wouldn't matter if I was Mother Teresa, they'd still skewer me.  Since I'm not Mother Teresa, I can tell them to pound salt, and I will.  They certainly shouldn't judge you by what I do.

10276[/snapback]

Look, these guys from Navy past are now getting their jollies by saying these things that are inflammatory so they can take their pot-shots at Kerry... personally, it doesn't reflect well on them. I had a Master Chief publicly assail the President at his retirement ceremony... and it only made HIM look bad, not anyone there. These things are bound to happen when something involving military matters pop up.

Personally, the only times I get really upset are when I have to hear it at work, and I haven't since I took the journey across the water. Some of the most ardent Bush supporters in my last outfit were blithering idiots, and they made themselves look that way by the way they acted. You know the type... HEY, LOOK AT ME, I'M a BIG, IMPORTANT GUY... HEAR ME... I HAVE A LOUD VOICE... YOU ARE WRONG... I AM RIGHT... HEY, LOOK AT THAT IDIOT...

Luckily there are people I work with who are on both sides, and who are reasonable, good people. It's those loud, obnoxious name-callers that think themselves as important are the REAL losers.. they always have some sort of complex :)

This forum has turned into a right wing/conservative radio talk show in words.

Anyone who disagrees is insulted and shot down, there is no debate, I'd say most of your friends from the left, left because it's become a bore.

9910[/snapback]

I absolutely disagree. Both sides have their well informed, calm posters whom I learn a lot from. And both have their wacked out loudmouths that I avoid. But in reading the dwindling posts from the left they've got very little to offer to the debate. Now I don't feel this is a reflection of them personally, it's a reflection of their candidate and their party.

It just appears that the more thoughtout educated posts are coming from people with a more conservative ideal.........NOT REPUBLICANS, conservatives, there is a difference. Those with a more liberal ideal seem to be more sound bite oriented and more immature. And that immaturity can be traced to their last Presidential candidate. What really turned me off Gore was his sighing during the debates. That, IMO, blew if for him.

I absolutely disagree.  Both sides have their well informed, calm posters whom I learn a lot from.  And both have their wacked out loudmouths that I avoid.  But in reading the dwindling posts from the left they've got very little to offer to the debate.  Now I don't feel this is a reflection of them personally, it's a reflection of their candidate and their party. 

It just appears that the more thoughtout educated posts are coming from people with a more conservative ideal.........NOT REPUBLICANS, conservatives, there is a difference.  Those with a more liberal ideal seem to be more sound bite oriented and more immature.  And that immaturity can be traced to their last Presidential candidate.  What really turned me off Gore was his sighing during the debates.  That, IMO, blew if for him.

11055[/snapback]

Now THERE is an important basis for choosing a President. Not examining records or anything.

Gore's sighing WAS exasperating and annoying and I was disgusted and embarrassed for him. But I certainly didn't base my vote on that any more than I would have Bush's folksy style (as I said at the time, he's gonna aw-shucks his way right to the White House and people are going to be sorry they fell for it).

If you were saying that at the time...why did you vote for the man?  :doh:

11213[/snapback]

I voted for him for Governer ... and lived to regret it.

I probably knew a whole lot more about him at the time than many of the people who voted for him. He won TX, of course, but not by huge margins, I think it was something like 55 - 43 with Nader getting a small percentage.

The Swift Boat Liars for Bush attacked Kerry.

Can you prove they are lieing? So far it's alot of them versus Kerry. Were they paid by Bush? Your statement reeks of bias. Unless you can prove who's telling the truth I wouldn't be too quick to jump on Kerry's side simply becuase you don't like this president. I personally don't care what happened 35 years ago. I think this controversy benefits Kerry....It keeps our eyes off his voting record.

.....been transformed in to a forum for those from the right only.  There have been very few topics posted or topics replied to by our friends from the left.  What are the reasons?  Is it:

1.  They have nothing to add anymore.

2.  They realize their guy is in deep stevestojan.

3.  They can't compete.

4.  They're all on their way to NY in their best hippy gear to create chaos.

Either way it's been eerily quite from that side.    :blink:

If it's number four we need to send my favorite fighter of Chaos, Maxwell Smart, Agent 86.  But with all his bumbling, I would imagine that he's a Democrate.  :P

9866[/snapback]

The vitriolic zelots will continue to try.

Your big word impress no-one...and yes I know what  vitriolic means (caustic)  :blink:

11355[/snapback]

I was attempting to point out to the chef, that the smart lefties will know when their case for Kerry is lost, and will be quieter. The fanatics, will never cease. I'll try to use smaller words, and type slower for ya.

.....been transformed in to a forum for those from the right only.  There have been very few topics posted or topics replied to by our friends from the left.  What are the reasons?  Is it:

1.  They have nothing to add anymore.

2.  They realize their guy is in deep stevestojan.

3.  They can't compete.

4.  They're all on their way to NY in their best hippy gear to create chaos.

Either way it's been eerily quite from that side.    :blink:

If it's number four we need to send my favorite fighter of Chaos, Maxwell Smart, Agent 86.  But with all his bumbling, I would imagine that he's a Democrate.  :P

9866[/snapback]

Can you say intellectually inferior? :P