FA's out there for a 3-4 switch

Fewell733

such a switch is going to require to some serious FA pickups in the D-line.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2010/fa/dl.html

Defensive Ends

Johnny Jolly, GB, 27 years old

Marcus Spears, Dallas, 27 y/o

Richard Seymour, Oak, 30 y/o

Jarvis Green, NE, 31 y/o

Travis Kirschke, Pit, 35 y/o

Nose Tackles

Vince Wilfork, NE, 28 y/o

Aubrayo Franklin, SF, 30 y/o

Casey Hampton, Pit, 32 y/o

Ryan Pickett, GB, 30 y/o

Jason Ferguson, Miami, 35 y/o

some of these guys will be re-signed, but not all. It seems doable if we want to.

For the Bills to consider a 3-4 they would need 4 linebackers that are good enough, between injuries to Poz and Kawika, the Bills barely have 2. The Bills DL was not bad last year, I think you keep the system you have in place, tweak it a little and find some depth at LB plus another starter imo.

For the Bills to consider a 3-4 they would need 4 linebackers that are good enough, between injuries to Poz and Kawika, the Bills barely have 2. The Bills DL was not bad last year, I think you keep the system you have in place, tweak it a little and find some depth at LB plus another starter imo.

I completely agree. There are already way too many holes to fill on the roster without creating

more holes by changing the defensive scheme. In addition, DT might be one of the team's

strongest positions and a 3-4 would lessen the need for one of them unless you could for sure

move the other to DE.

As it is, they already need at least:

1 new starting LB with much better depth for the eventual injury to at least one starter.

More help at DE assuming Schobel retires (or maybe is traded to a contender).

OLT - desperate need

QB - desperate need

WR - pretty urgent need if Owens and Reed are not retained

Unfortunately, they probably can't get a LT in FA since they are so hard to come by and maybe

they can find some old haggard bet QB to come in for a year, but one of their high draft choices

must be spent on at least 1 of those positions.

For the life of me I will never figure out what is the fascination with the 3-4 around here.

We play a guaranteed 6 games per year against a 3-4. We would have a better competitive advantage by practising against a 3-4 regularly in those guaranteed 6 games.

That and the 3-4 is, on the whole, a slightly more versatile defence IMO.

We play a guaranteed 6 games per year against a 3-4. We would have a better competitive advantage by practising against a 3-4 regularly in those guaranteed 6 games.

That and the 3-4 is, on the whole, a slightly more versatile defence IMO.

So if everyone in the division switches to a spread offense should we do so as well? Would you care to tell me where we are going to get the personnel needed to run the 3-4? Because really there are few players on this team that are suited for a 3-4 defense. In my opinion the 3-4 only works as a base defense when you have players with a very specific skill set. Namely a nose tackle that can take on 2-3 blockers per play and defensive ends that can consistently fight through double teams. It does create confusion for the quarterback because of the different blitz packages and coverages that you can throw at him, but I don't think the Bills have the talent at LB to take advantage of this either.

So if everyone in the division switches to a spread offense should we do so as well? Would you care to tell me where we are going to get the personnel needed to run the 3-4? Because really there are few players on this team that are suited for a 3-4 defense. In my opinion the 3-4 only works as a base defense when you have players with a very specific skill set. Namely a nose tackle that can take on 2-3 blockers per play and defensive ends that can consistently fight through double teams. It does create confusion for the quarterback because of the different blitz packages and coverages that you can throw at him, but I don't think the Bills have the talent at LB to take advantage of this either.

Oh sure - I agree. We don't have the personnel to run a 3-4 right now. But I'd make the switch and build, like Buddy says, through the draft and get this thing done over the next few years.

I'm no advocate of having Schobel and Kelsay play end in a 3-4. Ugh!

I would be surprised to see a move to the 3-4 for a couple reasons. One, with the uncapped year coming, FAs are going to be fewer/harder to come by. Also, remember Nix's initial comments when he was hired? He wants to build a team through the draft, not through big splashy FA signings.

Stay with the 4-3. We need another DE to fit in the rotation (depending on Schobel), a middle/outside LB and could always use another DT for depth.

such a switch is going to require to some serious FA pickups in the D-line.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2010/fa/dl.html

Defensive Ends

Johnny Jolly, GB, 27 years old

Marcus Spears, Dallas, 27 y/o

Richard Seymour, Oak, 30 y/o

Jarvis Green, NE, 31 y/o

Travis Kirschke, Pit, 35 y/o

Nose Tackles

Vince Wilfork, NE, 28 y/o

Aubrayo Franklin, SF, 30 y/o

Casey Hampton, Pit, 32 y/o

Ryan Pickett, GB, 30 y/o

Jason Ferguson, Miami, 35 y/o

some of these guys will be re-signed, but not all. It seems doable if we want to.

Hybrid LB Maybin

DT Stroud

NT Wilfork

DE Schobel

The Jets made the exact same trade (3rd and 5th round picks for a DT) the same year we traded for Marcus Stroud, only they got Kris Jenkins. bah.

I wouldn't have a problem with the Bills making Wilfork the highest paid defensive lineman in the game, but I have a feeling even that wouldn't be enough to convince him to leave the Pats for us.

We're certainly not restrained by any lack of salary cap space. I normally don't advocate huge free agent spending but guys like Wilfork and Seymour would be worth hefty paychecks.

Not in 2010 we're not. But if we would like these gentlemen for more than one year then we better plan for their large cap hits in the future.