Listening to Jim Rome

RkFast

I really like Rome. I guess his shtick either works for you or it doesn't. His whole "XR4TI" crew thing still keeps me listening to find out exactly what the hell that even is. The lingo works for me, it makes me want to listen more to be in "the club" if that makes any sense.

Rome's interviews are really good. He'll tell you after every interview he does that that interview was the best one he's done, but its true. The fact also that he'll devote whole segments of his show to hockey is important too. I think he might be the only free nationally syndicated sports talk host that will talk about hockey and not care if his listeners don't want it. He respects the game and has had Chelios, Drury, and other name players, usually Americans, come on and "rep" it.

If you don't like him, don't listen. It's kinda that simple. In response to the Cowherd hate, I'm no Colin Cowherd fan, but I have to admit that his points are usually pretty accurate. His take on Big Mac's steroid "apology" was right on.

I love Rome. He's hilarious. With all the worthless clowns on ESPN (Mariotti, Bayless, Golic, etc.) it's nice to have him to listen to. I DVR his show every day. He's topped only by Mike and the Mad Dog (now defunct) and the PTI boys. Everyone else (Around the Horn, Mike and Mike, Cold Pizza) are flat out unwatchable.

He is arrogant, no doubt about it. And there's no doubt he's a PAC-10 homer, but he's still the best there is. I've always appreciated the fact that he rarely contradicts himself, though he does it on occasion (still less than almost all radio guys).

I'm with you. I enjoy Rome. He is a LA guy so I see him partial to the Pac-10 My only thing I'm kind of disappointed in is as he got/gets more popular, he became a bit more mainstream. For example, he used to mock Nascar as the "Left Turn Circuit" and now he embraces it. He also use to talk NHL all the time.

Cowherd is definately awful. Some idiots filling in for Rome yesterday were even worse. I don't know their names but I had to shut it off. Mike and Mike suck as well.

I actually like Mike & Mike (but I only hear them about half an hour a day) more than any other ESPN show, because they stick to sports, for the most part... I can't stand hearing idiots like Cowherd, Dan Patrick and Van Pelt go on and on about themselves...Patrick would spend hours every week, talking about his hair, Cowherd blathers on and on about his divorce/marriage, and, just the other day, Van Pelt (who can be funny) dedicated most of his show to the tie he wore on Sports Center the night before.... who gives a fug about any of this?

What I really hate most about Cowherd (and there is lots to dislike, from his beaty litte eyes and uniborw, to his grating radio voice) is his stupid "big markets" matter routine... when he talks about the NBA, in particular, it is clear that he is just repeating his schtick, whether it makes sense or not...

Like I said, I am not one of those who claims I can't/won't listen to any of these guys, but I think some are really bad. I give ESPN radio hosts (save Mike & Mike) pretty low grades across the board. Way to much company and self promotion on that network...

Rome has the whole inside joke/secret language thing going with his hardcore listeners, which is kind of weird and stupid. However, he is the best interviewer in the business. Period. Not to mention, he gets an incredible selection of guests everyday. Not sure why you think he's incompetent, if he was, he wouldn't still be on the air 20 years later. Now Colin Cowherd, that guy is flat out awful.

Sure he would- he panders to idiots, which hold a majority in the population