Mike Lombardi's take on this trainwreck of a hiring

I don't mean to double post it, but I know this thread has gone on for awhile and I don't want to re-type the same argument. But, I mean, based on those facts, do you really think this is a good move for the franchise?

I think you miss the point entirely.

Who cares if it is a good marketing move? Why is Lombardi criticizing the hire as a bad marketing move?

Where he criticizes the move for being a bad FOOTBALL move, and gave reasons, then that is okay. I may or may not agree with him, but at least it is relevant to what I care about - football.

Pretty much everybody who saw the Bills this year has seen the Bills O as the big problem. No, the HUGE problem and a lodestone around the necks of the rest of the team. So we get someone who is recognised as a talented O guy. Is he the right, bright O guy, we will see.

But an argument about marketing, which is the first half of the article, it seems, is a non-argument. If he wins, who cares. If he loses, hell, we're used to it by now.

I think this is the point our robotic friend was alluding to. I do not think he thought (or even cares) it is a good marketing move.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

As a side-note - WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP CALLING NIX A OBD INSIDER???

He was with the Bills one whole year folks. He was brought in as an outsider last year, and in that one year the Bills had seemingly one of their best drafts ever. Before that he worked in San Diego. How were their personnel moves bad?

Because he worked for the Bills as a scout before going to San Diego.

Nix is a "Football GM"

So we make a "Football decisions" instead of a marketing decision and everyone hates it.

I know one thing we will have a wining season next year and 2012 we will be in the AFC CHANpionship Game.

Go Bills

Fans are paranoid, like how it used to be with Red Sox fans. They wanted an overrated Cowher. ONly way we get better is to start getting good players. No coach can win with the current roster

Fans are paranoid, like how it used to be with Red Sox fans. They wanted an overrated Cowher. ONly way we get better is to start getting good players. No coach can win with the current roster

I am sure I follow you. How our my comments paranoid? I agree we now need to work on the drafting OT, DL, LB. QB. Again those would be good Football Decisions.

I am sure I follow you. How our my comments paranoid? I agree we now need to work on the drafting OT, DL, LB. QB. Again those would be good Football Decisions.

I didn't say your comments- I meant Bills fans in general. I don't see us getting into the playoffs next year, but if we make good moves, we will start moving in that direction. We have a ton of holes

Article was spot on

Yes, it was spot on. A very good analysis of an irrelevant team.

This is another example of clinging to old thinking and accepting mediocrity as the norm.

Wow, this is twilight zone material where Bills fans are trapped in an endless loop of nightmares.

The people who buy tickets from this organization have enabled this horrible management to keep doing business as usual.

I had hoped Leslie Frazier who bring something new and fresh to the Bills, but alas the Bills dipped into the mediocrity pot and pulled out another dud. If you thought Jauron was a bold exciting coach, you're going to love Gailey. I'd rather watch paint dry.

I didn't say your comments- I meant Bills fans in general. I don't see us getting into the playoffs next year, but if we make good moves, we will start moving in that direction. We have a ton of holes

10-4. I agree we don't make next year. I agree with the holes, but Nix had a great draft this year and if we hit on OT and DL , LB will be in shape for 8-8 9-7. With 10-6, 11-5 in 2012.

1 st OT Antony Davis

2nd DL Jason Pierre paul or Greg Hardy

3rd LB Eric Norwood

4th QB Pike or Tebow

Like most Bills fans, I'm not crazy about about this hire, but was anybody really thrilled when Marv was hired in '86? He was an almost 60-year old retread from KC and the CFL best known for running the Wing-T.

The big difference between 1986 and 2010 is that Marv came on board and had Kelly, Reed, Smith, Talley, Tasker, etc. (not to mention that the O-line had Hull, Ritcher and Wolford) just as they were all about to hit their prime. Right now, the Bills have no QB, the O-line is in shambles. Until player evaluation, acquisition (and retention) gets better, the Bills head coach position will continue to be a 3-year revolving door.

It's sort of like President Obama - love him or hate him, his success is our success. His failure is our failure. Let's hope the blind squirrels at OBD have found another nut like Marv in the hiring of Gailey.

Would like to throw out that, while they aren't Kelly, Reed, Thomas), we do have a solid RB combo, a great speed WR in Evans, and an underrated possession receiver in Reed. We also, have Levitre, Wood, Incognito which is the makings of a very good OL in a year or two, if we get a solid LT I think we could be a team that is at least playing games that are worth watching in December.

Would like to throw out that, while they aren't Kelly, Reed, Thomas), we do have a solid RB combo, a great speed WR in Evans, and an underrated possession receiver in Reed. We also, have Levitre, Wood, Incognito which is the makings of a very good OL in a year or two, if we get a solid LT I think we could be a team that is at least playing games that are worth watching in December.

We don't have a starting OT, Incognito is a undisciplined backup, irregarldess of the love affair with the fans. Stroud is the only starting caliber DL we have on the roster. Our LB's aren't very good. If Reed is willing to play for near the league minimum, bring him back, if not, say goodbye- he is the most reliable target we have, which isn't saying much. I like Nelson and Hardy in the slot next year.

The problem is we have overachieved with a terrible roster, and since we won a number of games, people have become enamored with mediocre players. I am not attached to this group woth one winning season and no playoff appearances in 10 years. Any player on our roster should be able to be traded for, for the right price.

I was 30 when the bills last made the playoffs. I am 40 now. Holy crap, I really could be freaking dead before they ever get to the playoffs again.

We had a heck of a defense that year. Starting DL of Bruce Smith, Ted Washington and Phil Hansen, LB's Cowart, Holocek and Rogers!