Are Favre and Manning both top 5 QBs all time?

An interesting question, especially considering they could meet in the SB this year. Some other classic SB QB matchups....

SB 32 (Favre, Elway)

SBs 27 and 28 (Kelly, Aikman)

SB 24 (Montana, Elway)

SB 19 (Montana, Marino)

SBs 10 and 13 (Staubach, Bradshaw)

It's actually pretty amazing how few Super Bowls have legendary QB matchups, and how even fewer of them were competitive ballgames.

My top 5 QBs all time (I've been watching football since 1988...when I was 11... so forgive my omissions of great QBs of the past...I'm ranking guys that I've actually seen play....I think it would be pathetic to put guys on that I've never seen perform other than on a few highlight reels):

1.John Elway (lost 1st 3 SBs despite the fact he virtually singlehandedly got them there)

2.Joe Montana (4 SB wins, made up for lack of physical skills by being a brilliant mind)

3.Peyton Manning (for being a priveleged kid growing up, is the hardest working QB you'll find)

4.Brett Favre (this season, at age 40, cemented his place as all time great, if he hadn't already)

5.Jim Kelly (over Dan Marino, 4 straight SB apps, was like having an off. coordinator on the field)

right up there for me...Marino, Aikman, S.Young

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah manning and favre are in the top 5 and both HOFers, I honestly don't think many people outside of Buffalo would put Jimbo in the top 5 though, usually citing lack of competition, and he never won the big one. Thats just what i've heard.

aikmans gotta be up there, and if you go by recent history, one could def make a case for brady over both favre and manning (kiss the ringS)

I agree about Kelly, I watched him play an awful lot (like I'm sure most have on this webpage!) so I do think it is biased, but people always seem so quick to put Marino ahead of him, and his numbers were superior to Kelly's, but I just remember Kelly having his number whenever they played (especially in the playoffs).... and wow...did I forget about Brady?!?! His Super Bowls speak for themselves...it's just physically impossible for me to type his name associated with anything labeled "great"....just cause I HATE THE GUY...but speaking without any prejudice, he would have to knock Kelly off the top 5....

I agree about Kelly, I watched him play an awful lot (like I'm sure most have on this webpage!) so I do think it is biased, but people always seem so quick to put Marino ahead of him, and his numbers were superior to Kelly's, but I just remember Kelly having his number whenever they played (especially in the playoffs)

You are right, Marino NEVER beat Kelly in the playoffs, and to the best of my knowledge, neither did Elway. I mean, don't get me wrong I love Jimbo, he was always my fav growing up, got his autograph and everything, but the percieved lack of competition during his tenure, no SB wins, and pre-free agency, which many point to as the ONLY reason buffalo was able to have sustained success. I think its bull, revisionist history stuff. But then again im not a talking head or nat'l sports writer that can defend those teams either.

An interesting question, especially considering they could meet in the SB this year. Some other classic SB QB matchups....

SB 32 (Favre, Elway)

SB 24 (Montana, Elway)

SB 19 (Montana, Marino)

It's actually pretty amazing how few Super Bowls have legendary QB matchups, and how even fewer of them were competitive ballgames.

My top 5 QBs all time (I've been watching football since 1988...when I was 11... so forgive my omissions of great QBs of the past...I'm ranking guys that I've actually seen play....I think it would be pathetic to put guys on that I've never seen perform other than on a few highlight reels):

1.John Elway (lost 1st 3 SBs despite the fact he virtually singlehandedly got them there)

2.Joe Montana (4 SB wins, made up for lack of physical skills by being a brilliant mind)

3.Peyton Manning (for being a priveleged kid growing up, is the hardest working QB you'll find)

4.Brett Favre (this season, at age 40, cemented his place as all time great, if he hadn't already)

5.Jim Kelly (over Dan Marino, 4 straight SB apps, was like having an off. coordinator on the field)

Kelly?? come on man...even the most die hard Bills homers wouldnt put him up that high.

You are right, Marino NEVER beat Kelly in the playoffs, and to the best of my knowledge, neither did Elway. I mean, don't get me wrong I love Jimbo, he was always my fav growing up, got his autograph and everything, but the percieved lack of competition during his tenure, no SB wins, and pre-free agency, which many point to as the ONLY reason buffalo was able to have sustained success. I think its bull, revisionist history stuff. But then again im not a talking head or nat'l sports writer that can defend those teams either.

Our team was way more loaded than any Bronco or Fin team at that that time. Put it this way (and I love Kelly), if we had Elway or Marino, we have at least one ring. Kelly was not a very good playoff QB.

Our team was way more loaded than any Bronco or Fin team at that that time. Put it this way (and I love Kelly), if we had Elway or Marino, we have at least one ring. Kelly was not a very good SuperBowl QB.

I went ahead and fixed that for you :thumbsup:

I agree about Kelly, I watched him play an awful lot (like I'm sure most have on this webpage!) so I do think it is biased, but people always seem so quick to put Marino ahead of him, and his numbers were superior to Kelly's, but I just remember Kelly having his number whenever they played (especially in the playoffs).... and wow...did I forget about Brady?!?! His Super Bowls speak for themselves...it's just physically impossible for me to type his name associated with anything labeled "great"....just cause I HATE THE GUY...but speaking without any prejudice, he would have to knock Kelly off the top 5....

I hated Tom Brady till he was in Entourage... damn you Marky Mark

yeah manning and favre are in the top 5 and both HOFers, I honestly don't think many people outside of Buffalo would put Jimbo in the top 5 though, usually citing lack of competition, and he never won the big one. Thats just what i've heard.

aikmans gotta be up there, and if you go by recent history, one could def make a case for brady over both favre and manning (kiss the ringS)

Another reason I've been told is that people think he was just in a good system with the no-huddle. I really don't understand why that would be a mark against him though. A friend of mine went as far as to say that it is a travesty that he's even in the HOF.

SB 32 (Favre, Elway)

SB 24 (Montana, Elway)

SB 19 (Montana, Marino)

It's an interesting discussion, even if quite a bit biased. But Marino is considered by many to be the best of all time, despite never winning a super bowl. You're also ignoring some gems from the old days like Unitas and Tarkenton. Favre doesn't make the top five, no way, no how. Wayyyy too many interceptions, way too many memories of him closing out seasons on a big pick. Kelly probably doesn't even crack the top ten.

SB 32 (Favre, Elway)

SB 24 (Montana, Elway)

SB 19 (Montana, Marino)

Here's a decent list from bleacherreport.com. This is NOT my list. By Jeremy Kaufman, Senior Analyst. Make your arguments as you will.

1) Joe Montana

TD- 273

Interceptions- 139

Yards- 40,551

QB Rating- 92.3

Rushing Yards- 1,676

Rushing TD- 20

With superior statistics as well as four clutch Super Bowl victories, Joe Montana clearly deserves to be recognized as the greatest quarterback of all time.

2) Steve Young

TD: 232

Interceptions- 107

Yards- 33,124

QB Rating- 96.8

Rushing Yards- 4,239

Rushing TD- 43

With unbelievable statistics which are arguably better than Montana's, as well as three Super Bowl victories, Steve Young is easily the 2nd greatest quarterback on this list. In addition, Young is likely the greatest overall scrambling quarterback to ever play.

3) Johnny Unitas

TD: 290

Interceptions- 253

Yards- 40,239

QB Rating- 78.2

Rushing Yards- 1,777

Rushing TD- 13

While his statistics may come off as insufficient given his lofty place on my list, it must be kept in mind that Unitas played at a much earlier time than the likes of Montana and Young.

In addition to his relatively efficient statistics and championship rings, Unitas was well known for his ability to call all of the plays at the line of scrimmage, an ability not often seen in the NFL today. For these reasons, I have selected Unitas for the third spot on my list.

4) Peyton Manning

TD- 306

Interceptions- 153

Yards- 41,626

QB Rating- 94.7

Rushing Yards- 696

Rushing TD- 16

Statistically, Peyton Manning has some of the gaudiest numbers the game has ever seen. The scary thing is, Peyton is still in the prime of his career. With years left in his career and a championship ring already on his finger, Peyton Manning may retire as the greatest quarterback in NFL history.

5) Tom Brady

TD- 197

Interceptions- 86

Yards- 26,370

QB Rating- 92.9

Rushing Yards- 533

Rushing TD- 5

As a life-long New York Giants fan, I have to confess; I don’t like the guy at all. However, as a writer, I have to be as objective as possible.

The fact is Tom Brady is an exceptionally good quarterback, as evidenced by his statistics as well as his three Super Bowl titles. While some Patriots fans may start sending me hate mail for placing him below Manning on my list, I believe that I placed him at the right slot on my list.

6) Brett Favre

TD- 442

Interceptions- 288

Yards- 61,655

QB Rating- 85.7

Rushing Yards- 1,786

Rushing TD- 13

Brett is one of the most beloved players to ever play the game. With record-breaking numbers in several categories, Brett clearly deserved to be on my list.

However, his record for the most interceptions thrown ever in a career prevented him from cracking the top five.

7) Dan Marino

TD- 420

Interceptions- 252

Yards- 61,361

QB Rating- 86.4

Rushing Yards- 87

Rushing TD- 9

Dan Marino’s numbers are incredible. While some believe his legacy is tainted by the fact that he never won a Super Bowl, I believe a quarterback is only one of 53 players on a team. One man never wins a game on his own.

8) Fran Tarkenton

TD- 342

Interception- 266

Yards- 47,003

QB Rating- 80.4

Rushing Yards- 3,674

Rushing TD- 32

Fran’s numbers speak for themselves. With his all-out offensive dominance, Fran was regarded as a revolutionary quarterback for his time.

9) John Elway

TD- 300

Interceptions- 226

Yards- 51,475

QB Rating- 79.9

Rushing Yards- 3,407

Rushing TD- 33

Yet another extremely popular player, Elway was the type of player who could win a game through the air or on the ground. I doubt many people would argue with his presence on my list.

10) Roger Staubach

TD- 153

Interceptions- 109

Yards- 22,700

QB Rating- 83.4

Rushing Yards- 2,264

Rushing TD- 20

It wasn’t easy for me to put a Cowboy on the list, but I felt he deserved the final spot. His numbers and his championship success speaks for itself, leaving little room for arguing Roger’s placement on the list.

Bret Favre might not be considered a top qb of all time because he was a gunslinger and holds the interception record, but I sure think he has always preformed at a high level. I also think when Manning is done he will go down as the best qb of NFL history.

Bret Favre might not be considered a top qb of all time because he was a gunslinger and holds the interception record, but I sure think he has always preformed at a high level. I also think when Manning is done he will go down as the best qb of NFL history.

yeah, that the consensus opinion, manning will have to win at least one more SB, and Favre is an all time great

2) Steve Young

TD: 232

Interceptions- 107

Yards- 33,124

QB Rating- 96.8

Rushing Yards- 4,239

Rushing TD- 43

With unbelievable statistics which are arguably better than Montana's, as well as three Super Bowl victories, Steve Young is easily the 2nd greatest quarterback on this list. In addition, Young is likely the greatest overall scrambling quarterback to ever play.

Ummm...he only has one super bowl victory. Three rings, but he was a backup for two of those.

Ummm...he only has one super bowl victory. Three rings, but he was a backup for two of those.

1 plus 2 is still 3 right? j/k i agree Steve Young should be noted for only having won 1 SB, he was on 3 SB winning teams, but only won, 1.

Also, where is Terry Bradshaw on that list 4 SB wins and he didnt crack the top 10, LAME

The Bills teams that Kelly was on had a lot more talent than the Marino or Elway teams. Marino never had a running game. Kelly had Thurman Thomas. Plus the Bills were loaded with receiving threats. Plus they had a really good offensive line. Plus they had guys like Bruce Smith and Cornelius Bennett on defense.

Our team was way more loaded than any Bronco or Fin team at that that time. Put it this way (and I love Kelly), if we had Elway or Marino, we have at least one ring. Kelly was not a very good playoff QB.

Terrell Davis is the reason Elway has rings. Marino was a wimp, I saw him dive out of the way many times after throwing a INT. As far as Kelly, where not the AFC Championship games playoffs?

I do not consider Favre as a top 5 all-time QB. That said, if he plays like he did yesterday all of the way through the SB and wins it, he will creep into the list (my list anyway):

1. Manning

2. Montana

3. Elway

4. Unitas

5. Brady

6. Steve Young

7. Favre

Favre and Young are basically tied - I would probably have to move Favre above Brady and Young (and maybe Unitas), if he plays clean all of the way through the SB.

I don't see it happening, though. I see a typically Favre interception-filled loss next week when he has to face Sharper and has to throw a lot to try to keep up with Breese. JMO.

SB 32 (Favre, Elway)

SB 24 (Montana, Elway)

SB 19 (Montana, Marino)

Actually, the title of this post should be Who I Think are the Top Quarterbacks of Recent Years. The answer to the title you posted is does a bear sh*t in the woods?