The way the Jets play defense...

nostyle126

That's how you rebuild a team and maintaining winning. Inside-out. Build the lines first and foremost. That gives you the ability to draft a QB and give a running so he doesn't have to win slinging the ball. The defense keeps the other teams in check and games close. Perfect team building, which I've said on threads many times before and can't understand how this team can't figure that out. And when they do draft a lineman, it's a project or speed guy or one trick pony. They may have done well with Wood and Levitre, but I still don't understand how they thought they could skate by at LT. Watching these other teams is frustrating when you see how obvious the blue print is to winning. Sure a QB is critical, but you can't groom a QB with a shoddy line and a horrible defense.

:thumbsup:

Having a guy like Revis shutting down the other teams top receiver gives them this luxury, though.

...the same luxury WE'RE supposed to have, after using a very high draft pick on Leodis McKelvin. And even though McKelvin hasn't turned into the shutdown corner we all hoped he'd be, you still have to agree that our secondary is our strength. We need to make them carry more of the load defensively by running aggressive blitz schemes up front, requiring man coverage. I think our defensive backfield would hold up just fine, especially with the additional pressure our blitzes would bring.

That's how you rebuild a team and maintaining winning. Inside-out. Build the lines first and foremost. That gives you the ability to draft a QB and give a running so he doesn't have to win slinging the ball. The defense keeps the other teams in check and games close. Perfect team building, which I've said on threads many times before and can't understand how this team can't figure that out. And when they do draft a lineman, it's a project or speed guy or one trick pony. They may have done well with Wood and Levitre, but I still don't understand how they thought they could skate by at LT. Watching these other teams is frustrating when you see how obvious the blue print is to winning. Sure a QB is critical, but you can't groom a QB with a shoddy line and a horrible defense.

Amen.

:thumbsup:

Having a guy like Revis shutting down the other teams top receiver gives them this luxury, though.

More like............. having the best cover corner since Deon Sanders. The guy is special, and may become even better becasue he doesn't have Deon's giant ego.

...the same luxury WE'RE supposed to have, after using a very high draft pick on Leodis McKelvin. And even though McKelvin hasn't turned into the shutdown corner we all hoped he'd be, you still have to agree that our secondary is our strength. We need to make them carry more of the load defensively by running aggressive blitz schemes up front, requiring man coverage. I think our defensive backfield would hold up just fine, especially with the additional pressure our blitzes would bring.

Our LB's aren't as quick to the ball and as tough as the Jets. Scott and Harris are just flat out better than Poz and Mitchell.

Other than Revis I think our secondary is better. The secondary is clearly the strength of the defense and they are young.

I would like to see how good they be with a solid pass rush.

The Jets defence is very good, and its the reason why they are in the spot they are in, plus a whole lot of luck at the end of the year that the cards all fell their way to back into the playoffs.

But thats not the only way to build a winning team. Theres no one right way to build a team. At this point, the quickest way to get the Bills to the playoffs would be to strngthen the line and upgrade the QB position. The defence is good enough to getthem into the playoffs as is, but its not good enough to carry a team with no offence.

The Jets defence is very good, and its the reason why they are in the spot they are in, plus a whole lot of luck at the end of the year that the cards all fell their way to back into the playoffs.

But thats not the only way to build a winning team. Theres no one right way to build a team. At this point, the quickest way to get the Bills to the playoffs would be to strngthen the line and upgrade the QB position. The defence is good enough to getthem into the playoffs as is, but its not good enough to carry a team with no offence.

I don't think the D is good enough. The front 7 needs upgrading all over the place. Ellison should not be a starter. Mitchell can start but I'd prefer someone a bit more agile at that position. Maybin needs to come into his own. Stroud and Schobel aren't getting any younger. Teams ran all over us this year and we'll see the same thing next year if we don't find some upgrades.

I don't think the D is good enough. The front 7 needs upgrading all over the place. Ellison should not be a starter. Mitchell can start but I'd prefer someone a bit more agile at that position. Maybin needs to come into his own. Stroud and Schobel aren't getting any younger. Teams ran all over us this year and we'll see the same thing next year if we don't find some upgrades.

Yeah, teams did run all over the Bills, but they kept the other team out of the endzone most of the time, and thats what counts. Sure the defence could always use upgrades, but its at a point where if they had an offence that was a threat to put up more then 20 points a game, they would have been in the playoffs. If you actually looked at the games, the defence kept the games close while being on the field about 90% of the game up until the 4th quarter in more than 3/4's of the games this year

Get an offence that can score and the bills are a playoff team. Maybe not a serious SB contendor, but they are a playoff team

As I was watching the game I told my wife that the Bills need to get a coach that will run a D like the Jets. She agreed and the woman knows football. I LOVE that style. We got good defensive backs. If we put that much heat on the opposing QB, we'd get a lot of picks. I know we can do it because we did it with great success the first 5 or 6 games in 2008.

I also agree that our defense is good enough to make the playoff with a better offense. This year the Bills defense was 16th in the only defensive stat that counts, points given up. Vikings were 10th with only 16 less points. We're close on D.

This is exactly what I expected when we had our own "disciple" of the 46 defense....but from what I remember, Greggo could never get the players to run it :thumbsup: