Coachinhg search

Ok so, Mike Shanahan listens to the Bills FO when they fly to him and ask for an interview, he grants it and is offered the job and turns it down

Bill Cowher listens and allows an interview, seems like the FO and Cowher talk on several occasions, is offered the job and turns it down.

Brian Schottenheimer says no to an interview

Leslie Frazier says yes to an interview, not offered the job....yet

Perry Fewell says yes to an interview, not offered the job, gets hired by NY Giants as DC

Jim Harbaugh says yes to an interview, is offered the job and turns it down

I've seen reports that Charlie Weiss turned down the Bills.

Considering nobody knew that Nix had offered the job to Harbaugh or that he even had set up an interview tells me that there are more out there that have turned down the Bills.

As a fan at this point you have to ask yourself WTF is happening here.

A few weeks ago the FO is blowing out smoke that they will pay Shanahan or Cowher 10 million a year and both listen because of that, and then turn down the Job.

So that the 10 million a year was complete bullsh!t, just to get some interviews going forward, and garner some actual interest in the job. Now that the smoke has cleared nobody wants to work for Ralph Wilson.

It makes you wonder what pay scale the Bills offered a new HC because the high priced guys turned down the job. Cowher was said to have made 7 million in Pitt, same with Shanahan in Denver. Now Shanahan took the Redskins job for 5 years 35 million, sounds like 6 million a year to me,another reason I think that 10 million was utter BS.

It also makes me wonder how much power the new coach is going to have also, any say in personnel decisions at all? Will Ralph Wilson sit in on the draft and make his choices as usual? Because the only guys they can get to currently bite at the hook are assistants who have never been a head coach, and even some of them are saying no.

I conclude that the real Mr Ralph Wilson stepped up and said... get us the cheapest guy you can and give him no power.

Ok so, Mike Shanahan listens to the Bills FO when they fly to him and ask for an interview, he grants it and is offered the job and turns it down

Bill Cowher listens and allows an interview, seems like the FO and Cowher talk on several occasions, is offered the job and turns it down.

Brian Schottenheimer says no to an interview

Leslie Frazier says yes to an interview, not offered the job....yet

Perry Fewell says yes to an interview, not offered the job, gets hired by NY Giants as DC

Jim Harbaugh says yes to an interview, is offered the job and turns it down

I've seen reports that Charlie Weiss turned down the Bills.

Considering nobody knew that Nix had offered the job to Harbaugh or that he even had set up an interview tells me that there are more out there that have turned down the Bills.

As a fan at this point you have to ask yourself WTF is happening here.

A few weeks ago the FO is blowing out smoke that they will pay Shanahan or Cowher 10 million a year and both listen because of that, and then turn down the Job.

So that the 10 million a year was complete bullsh!t, just to get some interviews going forward, and garner some actual interest in the job. Now that the smoke has cleared nobody wants to work for Ralph Wilson.

It makes you wonder what pay scale the Bills offered a new HC because the high priced guys turned down the job. Cowher was said to have made 7 million in Pitt, same with Shanahan in Denver. Now Shanahan took the Redskins job for 5 years 35 million, sounds like 6 million a year to me,another reason I think that 10 million was utter BS.

It also makes me wonder how much power the new coach is going to have also, any say in personnel decisions at all? Will Ralph Wilson sit in on the draft and make his choices as usual? Because the only guys they can get to currently bite at the hook are assistants who have never been a head coach, and even some of them are saying no.

I conclude that the real Mr Ralph Wilson stepped up and said... get us the cheapest guy you can and give him no power.

Have you ever owned a company or been in a position of responsibility at a company? Would you always hire the first person that applies for a job? Are you so insecure that if you don't hire that first person there will be no other applicants? You have no clue as to what is going on so quit making asinine conjectures.

Have you ever owned a company or been in a position of responsibility at a company? Would you always hire the first person that applies for a job? Are you so insecure that if you don't hire that first person there will be no other applicants? You have no clue as to what is going on so quit making asinine conjectures.

I'll take a stab at this. I have been in a position of responsibility in several companies - all unique products to the community you pursue talent from is a small and known quantity. So while it is not the NFL, it is a similar process. Whenever I have had an opening of significance, (for a high level position or account manager type), I have always known who I wanted and pursued them first. If that failed, I would fall to plan be - recommendations from friends whithin the industry for people they thought who might be capable. If that fails - you go to plan "C" and interview everyone and pray they will learn enough to be competent. For key players, I like to bring in my people - we have a way better chance for success as they know my style and the template for the business style and niche we are pursuing. Simply, it makes for a fasten assimilation and provides better odds to succeed quickly.

I'll take this further, in a small industry a bad reputation for the C.O. or the company in general will make the most desirable candidates avoid you like the plague. I totally believe the Bills are a victim of the own failure, lack of direction and questionable leadership. From a "business sense", they are undesirable.

What billion-dollar company are you aware of that hands the keys to a retired 70 year-old? I can't believe people like you are still defending this garbage.

The only thing asinine here is your post, I'm allowed to post whatever conjecture I want.

Yes, I have owned a business! Furthermore, If there was a person I targeted first because I knew they could do the job better then anyone else and honestly offered them top dollar and they refused the job, I certainly would question my headhunter/ GM / Human resource manager as to why they turned down the job.

As a Bills fan I'm offended that the FO releases information that they will hire Mike Shanahan / Bill Cowher for 10 million a year and then get turned down. We haven't heard the reasons as to why those men turned down the job, I for one want to know. Until the FO releases Info as to why the "splashy" names turned down the job, I'll speculate all I want.

What billion-dollar company are you aware of that hands the keys to a retired 70 year-old? I can't believe people like you are still defending this garbage.

How about Berkshire Hathaway and it is worth much more than a billion. The Bills are not worth a billion, last estimates are ~$800k.

I would not be surprised to find that many of the Board of Directors of huge corporations have board members in their late 60's and 70's. These "old people" are the bosses on the CEO.

...As a fan at this point you have to ask yourself WTF is happening here....

...I'll tell you "WTF" is happening here....Wilson, Brandon & Nix are offering coaching candidates interviews and the head coaching position, and they are being turned down by the best of them. Everyone agrees that Brandon did offer Jason Peters 9 Million dollars a season, and Peters turned it down. Now, if that is really true, why do you doubt Wilson offered Cowher, Shannahan and Harbaugh at least the going rate, if not more then they and their agents would expect? Why would they waste their time, and flying costs, to go to these people and then low ball them?

This process may take until after the SB is played. But the Bills will hire a new head coach, and with Buddy Nix's football smarts and experience guiding the new man with player personnel, the Bills should finally start improving next season.

how about the last 3 CEO's of GM... the entire sport of formula 1... the roman catholic faith...

but seriously, id rather them not hire before the end of the PO's if they're going coordinator route... i mean do you really want them to rush in to get the first guy who they can, which will either be internal or from another team that also didnt make the PO's, seeing as most of the retired coaches are content staying retired until their dream job comes calling (who can blame them?).

i'd rather wait until they can get a guy who knows what the playoffs actually are, and they have experience coaching at least part of a team to the playoffs and want their chance to coach, and actually will take this job without having to be handed part of the team plus $10+ million a year.

...I'll tell you "WTF" is happening here....Wilson, Brandon & Nix are offering coaching candidates interviews and the head coaching position, and they are being turned down by the best of them. Everyone agrees that Brandon did offer Jason Peters 9 Million dollars a season, and Peters turned it down. Now, if that is really true, why do you doubt Wilson offered Cowher, Shannahan and Harbaugh at least the going rate, if not more then they and their agents would expect? Why would they waste their time, and flying costs, to go to these people and then low ball them?

This process may take until after the SB is played. But the Bills will hire a new head coach, and with Buddy Nix's football smarts and experience guiding the new man with player personnel, the Bills should finally start improving next season.

Scott Berchtold, is that you?

The only thing asinine here is your post, I'm allowed to post whatever conjecture I want.

Yes, I have owned a business! Furthermore, If there was a person I targeted first because I knew they could do the job better then anyone else and honestly offered them top dollar and they refused the job, I certainly would question my headhunter/ GM / Human resource manager as to why they turned down the job.

As a Bills fan I'm offended that the FO releases information that they will hire Mike Shanahan / Bill Cowher for 10 million a year and then get turned down. We haven't heard the reasons as to why those men turned down the job, I for one want to know. Until the FO releases Info as to why the "splashy" names turned down the job, I'll speculate all I want.

Exactly. This is what I've been complaining about. There hasn't been any changes in the FO. They reshuffled the same guys that were here last year. The moves they have made this year make no sense. Fire the OC right before the season starts? Total desperation move. When we fired DJ before the season ended I assumed we had a logical succession plan in place. Instead, the FO has floundered around, looking for anyone who is interested in the job. They should have been sending out behind-the-scenes feelers as soon as they made the decision to get rid of Jauron. The ownership and FO have made a complete mess of this whole situation and they are failing this city utterly.