Bills want an offensive minded coach

FluffHead

This article also points out that the Bills are wasting valuable time...not just in setting up a coaching staff, but in preparing the offseason plan in terms of players to target, interview and prioritize for the new staff.

Why should you worry?? They got Ralph and Russ for that :D:lol::lol:

Thank god someone in the Org is talking an offensive mind, even if Wilson doesn't admit they need one.

I wouldn't mind Steve Mariucci-Cam Cameron-Brian Billick- Jason Garrett as the next Bills head coach. Only Cameron has mentored QB's with great success, Phillip Rivers, Drew Brees and now Joe flacco.

Cameron is 1-15 as a HC. What are you thinking.

I think Nix will make a solid choice.

I like Grimm but he is not ready for the head coaching position. Let him work as a OC or DC first.

We can get much better than him. Let's not act desperate because we aren't.

A lot of people are trying to use this as an argument against Grimm, but he currently splits OC duty for the Arizona Cardinals.

well, keep in mind they need the "right" offensive mind to coach here in Buffalo, given the environment.

does anyone think Mike Martz's pass-happy attack will work here in November or December? c'mon.

would Drew Brees be as accomplished playing here in Buffalo as he is spending half the season in a dome?

that's why i though BSchott fit. Grimm might, too. but to hire an offensive-minded coach for knee-jerk's sake doesn't make any sense.

jw

I don't have to imagine a pass-happy attack working here in Buffalo in November or December, I can go review tapes of the K-Gun offense. Faulk was used in the same manner that Thurman was. Thurman was never a bruising running back, the pass game set up a lot of what we did in the early 90's with the trap and draws. You could argue our insistence on passing may have cost us XXV.

well, keep in mind they need the "right" offensive mind to coach here in Buffalo, given the environment.

does anyone think Mike Martz's pass-happy attack will work here in November or December? c'mon.

would Drew Brees be as accomplished playing here in Buffalo as he is spending half the season in a dome?

that's why i though BSchott fit. Grimm might, too. but to hire an offensive-minded coach for knee-jerk's sake doesn't make any sense.

jw

I didn't mention Martz because I think his time has passed, fired from his last 3 jobs, and 2 of those as an OC.

Simply look at what the Ravens did to the Patriots in that playoff game AT New England, 200+ yds rushing, 3 rushing TD's ( Flacco 4/10 for 34 yds :D ). That Baltimore running game dominated that Patriot defense.

For the life of me I can't understand why Cam Cameron isn't highly thought of for the Bills head coaching position. He was given autonomy by Harghbaugh to run that offense and he has done an amazing job.

Think for a min and look at Flacco for that Patriots playoff game, 91 yr old Mr Ralph Wilson himself could have been at QB and the Ravens still win that game. Doesn't that give any insight into what kind of power running attack Cameron can build? Look back at the Chargers and take a look at LT when he played for Cameron, then think what he could do with Jackson and Lynch.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/People/Coac...am_Cameron.aspx

As for Grimm, he can build an O line for sure, although as RB coordinator for the Cards the offense is 28th in rushing. Granted he has done a really good job with that offensive line sack wise, considering he has less then super star players, but then Kurt Warner throws those quick slants. I doubt the Cards are in the playoffs with Matt Leinart as QB. I honestly don't get the magic Grimm has to be a head coach.

How can you really know if Grimm is ready or not?

I don't. but I would like to see Grimm follow the traditional protocol of being a solid DC or OC first.

I would prefer someone who has proven themselves at the next level which is being OC or DC.

Though he has had some respomsibilities sharing some OC responsibilities, who knows what those resposibilities are.

He has been around for years and hasn't made OC yet. That's a heluva red flag to me.

Jim Zorn made the same jump last year from QB coach to and OC/HC. It didn't work, it was to much of jump for him.

I recognize Grimm is not Zorn, but we are taking a gamble when we promote a OC/DC to headcoach let alone something less. We can do better. Some times when you roll the dice like that you might get lucky but it's against the odds.

I would be more apt to bring him in as my OC more so than my HC.

It's interesting that the people that have turned Buffalo down are the ones that stated weeks before we ask them that they would not be interested in leaving what they doing now. I can't figure out why we asked, it downright futile.

I think Nix is somewhat of an insider and he knows who has the real talent.

I think he will make the right choice.

Cameron is 1-15 as a HC. What are you thinking.

I think Nix will make a solid choice.

So Jimmy Johnson was 1-15 at Dallas his first year, you can't define a coach who had only one year to prove himself.

But you know what, with this fan base your probably right because the fans would run the guy off before he has a chance to build the offense, correct the playbook, teach an OC or mentor the QB's. Just like they ran off Dan Henning and Kevin Gilbride.

I don't have to imagine a pass-happy attack working here in Buffalo in November or December, I can go review tapes of the K-Gun offense. Faulk was used in the same manner that Thurman was. Thurman was never a bruising running back, the pass game set up a lot of what we did in the early 90's with the trap and draws. You could argue our insistence on passing may have cost us XXV.

valid point, but i already did some numbers on that, which shows a disparity between the Rams at their heyday and Bills.

From 2000-04, the Rams lowest passing numbers were 3,061 (2003) and highest were 5,232 (2000).

From 2000-04, Rams lowest rushing numbers were 1,405 (2002) and highest were 2,027 (2001)

compare that to Bills during their early 1990s heyday:

From 1989-93, Bills lowest passing numbers were 3,196 (1990) and highest were 3,871 (1991)

From 1989-93, Bills lowest rushing numbers were 1,943 (1993) and highest were 2,436 (1992).

yes, both teams utilized the pass to help set up the run, but my point is that the Rams under Martz did more passing than running, while the Bills were far far more balanced.

to wit:

using the same spans,

the Rams had 2,865 pass attempts versus 1,934 rushes.

the Bills had 2,601 pass attempts versus 2,615 rushes.

jw

It's pretty obvious it's gonna be Frazier or Grimm, and for some reason I don't see Grimm coming. I'd definitely like him though. If they want offensive minded and don't go for Frazier just because of that sticking point, I'm not so sure I'd be happy if it was a lesser talent just because he's on offense

that leaves Grimm out. He has been nothing but an OL coach, not even an OC.

So Jimmy Johnson was 1-15 at Dallas his first year, you can't define a coach who had only one year to prove himself.

But you know what, with this fan base your probably right because the fans would run the guy off before he has a chance to build the offense, correct the playbook, teach an OC or mentor the QB's. Just like they ran off Dan Henning and Kevin Gilbride.

He may be the next coming of Jimmy Johnson but could you imagine the response if the Bills trotted out Cameron. It would be a PR nightmare, this fanbase has lost it's patience. I would be impossible for them to make this move without risking losing a large chunk of their fanbase.

He may be the next coming of Jimmy Johnson but could you imagine the response if the Bills trotted out Cameron. It would be a PR nightmare, this fanbase has lost it's patience. I would be impossible for them to make this move without risking losing a large chunk of their fanbase.

You are right, the fans would revolt... perhaps all the way up until that first win against the Patriots 200+ yards on the ground and 3 rushing TD's with anyone behind center, tho it might take 2 years.

This team is desperate for an offensive mind to repair the entire offense, the line, the playbook, the play calling, the scheme, and mentor the QB's so they actually progress.

The Bills lost out on Charlie Weiss by waiting to interview others, who sadly have declined the job or and or the interview.

The only other offensive mind I can think of that wants a HC job and knows how to build an offense is Steve Mariucci.

That's the problem- they have to make a confident move and ignore the fanbase. The fanbase doesn't know what it wants, they have to be told what they want