how about Steve Mariucci?

freester

Mariucci is not my first choice, but if he is desperate enough to consider oakland surely the Bills are a better option.

Didn't want him at first but now I would like it. I know he struggled in Detroit but who hasn't recently? Insert Wayne Fontes joke.

I like my coach to be well-spoken and have charisma and mooch has it, seems like he would get the players respect right off the bat, which is half the battle.

My standards are starting to really lower though.

Didn't want him at first but now I would like it. I know he struggled in Detroit but who hasn't recently? Insert Wayne Fontes joke.

I like my coach to be well-spoken and have charisma and mooch has it, seems like he would get the players respect right off the bat, which is half the battle.

Fontes made the playoffs half the time.

Mariucci? No. He's a Kiffin (you know, a guy who never does the job right, but keeps getting jobs).

One thing I don't like is he went to Detroit to turn it around and failed. I know he's not even close to deserving all the blame for it but he is still 0 for 1 in the changing the tide for bad franchises department.

One thing I don't like is he went to Detroit to turn it around and failed. I know he's not even close to deserving all the blame for it but he is still 0 for 1 in the changing the tide for bad franchises department.

True, good point. I hate to say it but I just don't want Frazier due comparisons of Dungy and Jauron and any name seems appealing to me. I posted arguments against Grimm and now think maybe he is our best option, that article someone on the board posted got me excited.

True, good point. I hate to say it but I just don't want Frazier due comparisons of Dungy and Jauron and any name seems appealing to me. I posted arguments against Grimm and now think maybe he is our best option, that article someone on the board posted got me excited.

Quiet before ICE hears you :thumbdown:

I agree with some of ICE's points on Grimm but am open minded especially if he has a strong candidate in mind as an offensive coordinator.

I heard Clayton say about an hour ago that Mooch was interested in the Raiders but not the Bills. It is sad that Grimm and Frazier are starting to look mighty tasty to some of us who were solidly not in either of their camps... :thumbdown:

The thing about Mariucci is that he was handcuffed in Detroit by the moron pres /gm Matt Millen. He was initially hired to help their new young QB Joey Harrington succeed.

Marty Mornhinweg was the head coach who drafted Joey Harrington in 2002 and the team went 3-13 that year and he was fired and replaced by mooch.

The problem was that Harrington was already damaged goods and every time Mooch tried to fix the O line there was Millen drafting a WR with that #1 pick. Basically Mariucci wanted Harrington to sit and learn and Millen wanted him to play, no win situation.

Mooch brought with him the west coast offense, it took John Elway almost three years to learn that same offense with Shanahan. Millen had no patience and wanted to win right away and he kept blowing things up when it didn't happen.

I heard Clayton say about an hour ago that Mooch was interested in the Raiders but not the Bills. It is sad that Grimm and Frazier are starting to look mighty tasty to some of us who were solidly not in either of their camps...  :thumbdown:

Hahahaha, that is truly laughable.  Mooch probably knows that the Bills have no interest in him so he is gonna make it seem like Oakland is his choice and not his only option. 

Depressing though, I hated the idea of Grimm but am starting to really lean that way now.  Still am having a hard time getting behind Frazier, I just can't take a coach who is going to show no emotion..

It is funny how my standards keep lowering, I started off thinking Shannahan or bust, then started to convince myself that Cowher was the man for job even though I never cared for him, then Billick, both Shots, now Grimm.  I think by the end of this I will somehow have convinced myself that the hiring of Rusty Jones as our new coach ain't that bad!

C'mon...he washed out in Detroit...are we THAT bad that we'd consider a Lions castoff?

(OH WAIT--Jauron was a Lions castoff...'nuff said)

Agreed. Classic case of fans loving a guy as an analyst and assuming he must be a great coach.

I wonder how Bill Belichick would be on NFL Countdown haha

Agreed. Classic case of fans loving a guy as an analyst and assuming he must be a great coach.

I wonder how Bill Belichick would be on NFL Countdown haha

If your point is that good coaches are dry and wouldnt make great analysts then I present to you, Dick Jauron. I'm sure Dick Jauron would also be a riot on NFL Countdown. I don't think it's a case of fans loving a guy as an analyst and thinking it makes him a great coach, it's more a case of being desperate for a candidate with the some experience. For all his faults, he did have good years in San Francisco and comes from the Walsh coaching tree which has fared well.

He is not an ideal choice for me, as he is clearly a West Coast guy and probably wants to stay on the West Coast hence his preference of Oakland over Buffalo.