Why is everyone so Ga Ga over Grimm?

DarthICE

From reading his background the guy was an all world OLineman, and a damn good OL coach....and that's it. I don't read anywhere where he has ran an offense, defense or even a special teams as a coordinator. Yeah he has been named assistant HC but so what? So was Bobby April who was at least a coordinator.

So honestly, other than maybe shoring up the OL, what does this guy honestly bring to the table? He has been passed over at least twice for HC jobs and now is OL coach for his former OC from Pittsburgh.

I mean wouldn't we want someone who at least was a coordinator of some sorts?

I repost my thoughts from another thread. Grimm is a guy I've wanted for a LONG time.

Lets start with the obvious: the Bills cannot pick HCs.

Lets see who can pick HCs...Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh had 3 finalists for HC..Mike Tomlin, Ken Whisenhut and Grimm. Whisenhut took the Arizona HC job because he was the odd man out. Came down to Grimm vs. Tomlin, Pitt liked both guys and took Tomlin (Rooney Rule?). Since, both Tomlin and Whisenhut have taken their teams to the SB. If the Pitts Steelers, IMHO the best top-to-bottom organization in pro football, considered Grimm to be a finalist for their HC job, I'm not too proud to accept their table scraps for my team.

Grimm was mentioned ever earlier (2004, I think) as a candidate for the Bears job, he interviewed, was offered but balked when the Bears mgmt wanted to pick his staff. Grimm would help us build a tough OL with a strong running game, critical elements necessary to win in the Buffalo weather.

We have, already, a decent defense that could use another piece or two to help with run-stuffing, but was otherwise outstanding vs. the pass this year. They were also on the field for more plays than any other unit. If we built a strong OL and strong running game, which I believe Grimm would do, it would only give our D more of a chance to be effective as they would be on the field much less.

Next, our best WR is a good deep threat, not much more. If we had a good running game, it should open up the bomb for Evans, no matter who is throwing the ball as the safeties come up in run support.

Grimm would lessen the need to find the next Jim Kelly (a task we have whiffed at for 13 seasons) and focus on running the ball and defense. Kind of like how the Jets did this year. Thats my hope and why I'm advocating Grimm for HC.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what sold me, per his wikipedia...

According to Mark May, a teammate both at Pittsburgh and on the Redskins, no one lived up to the "Hog" persona more than Grimm: "He was a blue collar stiff and proud of it." In his 2005 memoir, May recalled a Christmas party at his house in 1982: "I iced down a keg of beer and stationed it on the landing between the first floor and basement. Russ turned the landing into his headquarters for the evening. He grabbed a chair and a Hog shot glass (a 60-ounce pitcher) and parked his butt on the landing next to the keg. Except for an occasional trip to the bathroom, we didn't see Russ on the first level all night..."[2]

Sorry if already mentioned, the search function won't work for me.

I repost my thoughts from another thread. Grimm is a guy I've wanted for a LONG time.

Lets see who can pick HCs...Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh had 3 finalists for HC..Mike Tomlin, Ken Whisenhut and Grimm. Whisenhut took the Arizona HC job because he was the odd man out. Came down to Grimm vs. Tomlin, Pitt liked both guys and took Tomlin (Rooney Rule?). Since, both Tomlin and Whisenhut have taken their teams to the SB. If the Pitts Steelers, IMHO the best top-to-bottom organization in pro football, considered Grimm to be a finalist for their HC job, I'm not too proud to accept their table scraps for my team.

Grimm was mentioned ever earlier (2004, I think) as a candidate for the Bears job, he interviewed, was offered but balked when the Bears mgmt wanted to pick his staff. Grimm would help us build a tough OL with a strong running game, critical elements necessary to win in the Buffalo weather.

Great post, imo. There are a lot of reasons why I like Grimm but one of the main ones is that he is pre-vetted by the Rooneys. I don't trust Ralph to select a good head coach but I do trust the Rooneys and in my mind, it is a big positive in his favor that he was a finalist for the Steeler job.

We have, already, a decent defense that could use another piece or two to help with run-stuffing, but was otherwise outstanding vs. the pass this year. They were also on the field for more plays than any other unit. If we built a strong OL and strong running game, which I believe Grimm would do, it would only give our D more of a chance to be effective as they would be on the field much less.

Next, our best WR is a good deep threat, not much more. If we had a good running game, it should open up the bomb for Evans, no matter who is throwing the ball as the safeties come up in run support.

Grimm would lessen the need to find the next Jim Kelly (a task we have whiffed at for 13 seasons) and focus on running the ball and defense. Kind of like how the Jets did this year. Thats my hope and why I'm advocating Grimm for HC.

This team needs the next Jim Kelly. That has been the problem with this team. All the great teams have QB's. There is no getting around it. 'But the Jets...' Have a damn good OC and an up and coming stud at QB. Guess what? The Panthers have a better defense than us, one of the better OL's and had TWO 1100 yard rushers this year. They are sitting at home with just two more wins than us.

it is about the QUARTERBACKS in the NFL. This is a pass first league. Although we had Thomas in the backfield, Jim Kelly and Ted M always said 'We PASS to set up the RUN'. So does Indy, NE, NO, Arizona, Dallas and now you can add the Vikings to that list.

Defense? Seriously? We need three starting D Linemen and at least two LB's for this defense to even sniff being respectible. Pass defense? Hell yeah, because teams ran all over us this year. 'But they were on the field so long...' Um because they sucked?

Grimm is not qualified to be a HC yet in this league. Spend a couple years coaching up an entire offense, putting together game plans, doing day to day management of more than say 8 guys and then lets talk about him as a HC.

Great post, imo. There are a lot of reasons why I like Grimm but one of the main ones is that he is pre-vetted by the Rooneys. I don't trust Ralph to select a good head coach but I do trust the Rooneys and in my mind, it is a big positive in his favor that he was a finalist for the Steeler job.

Did he get the job? Nuff said.

Very well thought out post.I gotta say i like him alot more than Frazer and i think he would bring a nasty team to Buffalo.Hes my choice for H/c until he say thanks but no thanks.

Very well thought out post.I gotta say i like him alot more than Frazer and i think he would bring a nasty team to Buffalo.Hes my choice for H/c until he say thanks but no thanks.

Ok so you presume because he was a bad ass player that he can build a Bad ass team? Can you provide any proof to that or is it wishful thinking?

Frazier on the other hand just runs defenses that perform well. He understands the value of the front 7 esp the big asses that need to be in the middle. He has seen first hand how important a good OL is and now has seen that a great QB is what makes things happen, not a great RB.

But hey, lets not hire the guy who has had success as a coordinator, lets hire the guy who can't even get a coordinators job because he MIGHT be able to build a tough team.

Ok so you presume because he was a bad ass player that he can build a Bad ass team? Can you provide any proof to that or is it wishful thinking?

Frazier on the other hand just runs defenses that perform well. He understands the value of the front 7 esp the big asses that need to be in the middle. He has seen first hand how important a good OL is and now has seen that a great QB is what makes things happen, not a great RB.

But hey, lets not hire the guy who has had success as a coordinator, lets hire the guy who can't even get a coordinators job because he MIGHT be able to build a tough team.

Can you provide proof that he can't or is it just your typical negativity? Did Frazier brings those big guys into the middle, I don't believe so, he just uses what was given to him. Grimm played on one of the best O lines of all time and has been around big Ben and Warner the past few years so I think he understands the importance of the QB position. We've hired guys that have had success as a coordinator and they sucked as head coaches. You like Frazier better than Grimm, thats fine. But stop assuming success as a coordinator= success as a head coach.

The PIT O-line was pretty badass when he coached them. ARI has had a very good O-line since he and Whisenhut arrived, even utilizing our cast-off Mike Gandy. Coincidentally (or maybe not), both PIT and ARI have been very good teams when he was associated with those organizations. Both went to the SB.

Has Minn gone to the SB with Frazier's D?

From reading his background the guy was an all world OLineman, and a damn good OL coach....and that's it. I don't read anywhere where he has ran an offense, defense or even a special teams as a coordinator. Yeah he has been named assistant HC but so what? So was Bobby April who was at least a coordinator.

So honestly, other than maybe shoring up the OL, what does this guy honestly bring to the table? He has been passed over at least twice for HC jobs and now is OL coach for his former OC from Pittsburgh.

I think I could be quite content with that alone. For all his faults, Skeletor built the secondary into the strength of the team because that's his forte.

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

This is starting to feel like when the Skins would up with Zorn. We're working our way through 3rd tier candidates and we are still getting rejected.

Can you provide proof that he can't or is it just your typical negativity? Did Frazier brings those big guys into the middle, I don't believe so, he just uses what was given to him. Grimm played on one of the best O lines of all time and has been around big Ben and Warner the past few years so I think he understands the importance of the QB position. We've hired guys that have had success as a coordinator and they sucked as head coaches. You like Frazier better than Grimm, thats fine. But stop assuming success as a coordinator= success as a head coach.

Yeah its simple, he isn't qualified and NO other franchise has thought he was either or he would be hired by now. Hell no other franchise has even made him a coordinator. Only the most stupid football can misses the huge red flag right there. He is so damn good, so well thought of NO ONE has even made the guy a coordinator in his entire NFL coaching career.

And yeah you work you way up the ranks not sit there in a lower position and expect to become a HC, unless you interview with the cheap assed buffalo bills.