Offseason Wishlist

ndirish1978

What do you guys think are some realistic expectations for this offseason? What moves would indicate that the FO is finally starting to "get it" for you?

In my opinion, for starters, it would be hiring a HC who is capable of bringing in a staff of established, well-respected coordinators. Whether that is B Schott or a big name like Cowher/Billick, we need good coaching at the positional level to get our underachieving youngsters ready to play ball.

Next. I don't want to see russ Brandon in a single press conference from here on out. I need to know that Nix is actually running the show.

I'd also like to see us land 1st tier free agents. We have no chance at doing that if we didn't hire a decent respectable head coach, so that should be telling.

What do you guys think are some realistic expectations for this offseason? What moves would indicate that the FO is finally starting to "get it" for you?

In my opinion, for starters, it would be hiring a HC who is capable of bringing in a staff of established, well-respected coordinators. Whether that is B Schott or a big name like Cowher/Billick, we need good coaching at the positional level to get our underachieving youngsters ready to play ball.

Next. I don't want to see russ Brandon in a single press conference from here on out. I need to know that Nix is actually running the show.

I'd also like to see us land 1st tier free agents. We have no chance at doing that if we didn't hire a decent respectable head coach, so that should be telling.

The trouble regarding free agency is that if there is not a new CBA, the "1st tier" free agents that are available will be extremely limited.

Ok here is my totally realistic free agency list. Now my offensive free agents are limited to one guy and thats either Chad Pennington or Kerry Collins (Would love to get Pennington if healthy). We need a vet QB to either teach Brohm or another QB we draft and take the hits from an O-line that is still growing and a possibly lacking skill position pieces.

Now on the defensive side of the ball this is where the Bills should make some hay in free agency. Now if we keep a 4-3 I would like to see Derrick Johnson of KC in order to sure up the OLB position (Could be had he was a bad fit for KC's 3-4 and his stock is low could probably be had for a similar offer we gave Mitchel). I would also like to see Jason Ferguson come here from the Fins. Ferguson is old and coming off an injury but is a run stuffer and we might be able to squeeze another year out of him.

As far as trades go Osi Umenyiora is a guy I would like to see get targeted he is a great pass rusher when he is on his game could be a good mentor for a guy like Maybin and could be had for a mid round pick (4th or 5th round) due to the fact he is coming off a disappointing year. Especially if Schobel is gone we need to try and get a pass rush and even if Schobel stays we still could use an upgrade.

So Chad Pennington/Kerry Collins, Derrick Johnson, Jason Fergueson, and Osi Umenyiora via trade isn't exactly a wish BUT they are all realistic possibilities that could seriously help this team fill some needs as fill other needs like LT, DT, QB, and WR via the draft.

There is no way they reach an agreement before the deadline so our FA options are pretty limited.

I say go after Levi Jones (who got his feet back under him the last 8 games in Washington and looked very good) to help out OT spot. Strange, that's what we all wanted last offseason...but hey, Nix gets a shot to make it right now. That way our O-Line would be Jones, Levitre, Hangartner, Incognito and Butler. Obviously Incognito goes out if Wood can make it back before training camp, but for the time being let's just consider him MIA. If we can't get Jones, get Wade Smith from KC who had a good year blocking for Jamaal Charles and can float between OT and OG as needed. Hell, sign em both.

Sign Kevin Walter, the WR from Houston...he had something of a down year this season so hopefully that drove his price down a little bit. But the guy doesn't drop a lot of balls and is a great possession type of receiver who can also throw a decent block. Should complement Evans well.

Linebacker help is tough to gauge until we know what system the Bills are going to run, but for argument's sake lets say they stick with the 4-3 in some form or another. Keith Bulluck, while getting up their in age, would provide good leadership to the squad and has ties to the area (Syracuse alum). Danny Clark from the Giants is another good player, but is also getting up their in the age department. Also, keep an eye on Scott Fujita, the OLB from the Saints. If the Bills switch to a 3-4, I'd love them to go out and sign Tully Banta Cain away from the Patriots and move Maybin to OLB (giving us Maybin, Mitchell, Poz and Banta Cain as our starting linebackers)

I honestly think the Bills will not bring in any DT help unless one of the stars of this year's college class falls to them at #9. If they do bring in help to the DE spots, Jarvis Green, Richard Seymour (under a 3-4 defense), Kyle Vanden Bosch or Derrick Burgess could help. Two guys who I think are starting to turn it on are Tyler Brayton and Cory Redding (finally), both of whom are UFAs.

Trade for Michael Vick. Yup. I think this has a very good chance of happening, especially if Brian Schottenheimer (who loves running wacky end arounds and wildcat formations) or Leslie Frazier (buddies with Dungy, Vick's new mentor) become our HC.

Release Edwards and let Fitzpatrick, Brohm, Vick and a 3rd round pick or higher duke it out for the 3 QB spots on the team.

Do NOT be surprised when the Bills make a substantial offer to RFA OT Marcus McNeil. Nix scouted and drafted him in San Diego and could be willing to part with a lot to get him.

In the Draft, take the best available OLB, OT or QB depending on what is done with FA. My gut tells me they'll go with an OT like Brian Bulaga or The Wall's early favorite, OLB Rolando McClain. Also, keep an eye on Colt McCoy in the 2nd...if he's there at the top of the 2nd round, Nix might trade up to get him.

These are the guys I hope we draft/trade/sign:

Richard Seymour (great DT in our scheme)

Anquan Bolden (Evans and Bolden!)

Gerald Warren (get him for cheap. Decent NT)

Tony Gonzalez (we need a capable TE for Trent to utilize)

Shawn Springs (still has gas in the tank)

Derrick Johnson (not a fit in KC)

&

Stacy Andrews (beast on the OL)

There is no way they reach an agreement before the deadline so our FA options are pretty limited.

I say go after Levi Jones (who got his feet back under him the last 8 games in Washington and looked very good) to help out OT spot. Strange, that's what we all wanted last offseason...but hey, Nix gets a shot to make it right now. That way our O-Line would be Jones, Levitre, Hangartner, Incognito and Butler. Obviously Incognito goes out if Wood can make it back before training camp, but for the time being let's just consider him MIA. If we can't get Jones, get Wade Smith from KC who had a good year blocking for Jamaal Charles and can float between OT and OG as needed. Hell, sign em both.

Sign Kevin Walter, the WR from Houston...he had something of a down year this season so hopefully that drove his price down a little bit. But the guy doesn't drop a lot of balls and is a great possession type of receiver who can also throw a decent block. Should complement Evans well.

Linebacker help is tough to gauge until we know what system the Bills are going to run, but for argument's sake lets say they stick with the 4-3 in some form or another. Keith Bulluck, while getting up their in age, would provide good leadership to the squad and has ties to the area (Syracuse alum). Danny Clark from the Giants is another good player, but is also getting up their in the age department. Also, keep an eye on Scott Fujita, the OLB from the Saints. If the Bills switch to a 3-4, I'd love them to go out and sign Tully Banta Cain away from the Patriots and move Maybin to OLB (giving us Maybin, Mitchell, Poz and Banta Cain as our starting linebackers)

I honestly think the Bills will not bring in any DT help unless one of the stars of this year's college class falls to them at #9. If they do bring in help to the DE spots, Jarvis Green, Richard Seymour (under a 3-4 defense), Kyle Vanden Bosch or Derrick Burgess could help. Two guys who I think are starting to turn it on are Tyler Brayton and Cory Redding (finally), both of whom are UFAs.

Trade for Michael Vick. Yup. I think this has a very good chance of happening, especially if Brian Schottenheimer (who loves running wacky end arounds and wildcat formations) or Leslie Frazier (buddies with Dungy, Vick's new mentor) become our HC.

Release Edwards and let Fitzpatrick, Brohm, Vick and a 3rd round pick or higher duke it out for the 3 QB spots on the team.

Do NOT be surprised when the Bills make a substantial offer to RFA OT Marcus McNeil. Nix scouted and drafted him in San Diego and could be willing to part with a lot to get him.

In the Draft, take the best available OLB, OT or QB depending on what is done with FA. My gut tells me they'll go with an OT like Brian Bulaga or The Wall's early favorite, OLB Rolando McClain. Also, keep an eye on Colt McCoy in the 2nd...if he's there at the top of the 2nd round, Nix might trade up to get him.

Rolando McClain at OLB??? He's a MLB and would clearly be the best LB on the team, Why play him out of position?