Could the Bills be playing 'hardball' with Cowher?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that they are playing hardball.

As evidenced by the Shanahan courtship, the Bills are not afraid to throw entire banks worth of cash at their next coach.

Money is not the issue.

I think that the issue truly is a belief held around the NFL (true or not) that someone or some group of people in the Bills organization are real problems with truly building a winning team.

Whether that's Overdork, Brandon, Wilson, whomever. People 'in the know' know that something either is or has been dysfunctional with the team, and don't want to go near it.

On the one hand, I am amazed at how these supposedly big deal coaches with Super Bowl wins want everything handed to them; which I imagine is to not tarnish their precious records or "legend". Which to me is cowardly and too self-serving to warrant any further consideration.

But on the other hand, reports are leaking out about all of these coordinators- supposedly hungering for their shot at an NFL franchise- suddenly content at their current position. First the young Schottenheimer, now Rivera and Grimm are rumored to be saying the same thing.

I grew up with the Bills of the late 80's and early 90's. But I can remember how Jim Kelly elected to go to the USFL instead of the Bills. How Bruce Smith grumbled about coming to Buffalo. Bennett the same thing. NOBODY wanted to come to Buffalo.

I don't see this as any different.

If the Bills really wanted to play hardball, they would publicly state that Cowher had his chance and they are moving on. That, atleast for me, would make me proud that they are serious this time around, and no prima donna coach looking more to pad his stats than truly build a winner need apply.

One person I am starting to become interested in (in part because of his brother's success in Baltimore and also in part because of his play when he was a QB of the Colts) is Stanford's Jim Harbaugh. His play was always Flutie-esque, and he played with heart. I think that he'd be a good fit.

I don't think that they are playing hardball.

As evidenced by the Shanahan courtship, the Bills are not afraid to throw entire banks worth of cash at their next coach.

Money is not the issue.

I think that the issue truly is a belief held around the NFL (true or not) that someone or some group of people in the Bills organization are real problems with truly building a winning team.

Whether that's Overdork, Brandon, Wilson, whomever. People 'in the know' know that something either is or has been dysfunctional with the team, and don't want to go near it.

On the one hand, I am amazed at how these supposedly big deal coaches with Super Bowl wins want everything handed to them; which I imagine is to not tarnish their precious records or "legend". Which to me is cowardly and too self-serving to warrant any further consideration.

But on the other hand, reports are leaking out about all of these coordinators- supposedly hungering for their shot at an NFL franchise- suddenly content at their current position. First the young Schottenheimer, now Rivera and Grimm are rumored to be saying the same thing.

I grew up with the Bills of the late 80's and early 90's. But I can remember how Jim Kelly elected to go to the USFL instead of the Bills. How Bruce Smith grumbled about coming to Buffalo. Bennett the same thing. NOBODY wanted to come to Buffalo.

I don't see this as any different.

If the Bills really wanted to play hardball, they would publicly state that Cowher had his chance and they are moving on. That, atleast for me, would make me proud that they are serious this time around, and no prima donna coach looking more to pad his stats than truly build a winner need apply.

One person I am starting to become interested in (in part because of his brother's success in Baltimore and also in part because of his play when he was a QB of the Colts) is Stanford's Jim Harbaugh. His play was always Flutie-esque, and he played with heart. I think that he'd be a good fit.

Im liking the idea of Harbaugh also if Cowher is out.

I think Cowher has lost the fire otherwise what a perfect job. Show people you really were as good as people claimed by lifting Buffalo from the ashes. I just think he has lost the fire or isnt sure of his abilities.

I agree. In Pittsburgh, he had to have great drafts, and was constantly rebuilding. They would keep a few core players, but for the most part replaced players when their FA time came.

The Bills spend money too, just on the wrong guys. We would just need to redirect where we spend, and he would have to actually coach young players.

I think he wants to walk into a playoff situation, and if that's the case, he isn't the guy for us. We are close, we are not St. Louis, but we need a coach who wants to build a legacy, not pad one.

I think I could coach the Bills I had a guarantee that I could spend whatever, whenever. The fact that Cowher left the game to begin with raises questions about his commitment. I think he is the best available, but I do question his willingness to work.

No way... he has more leverage than any coach has ever had with any team. Owners view him as a commodity because not only will he sell tickets for years to come, but, he's a proven winner and can guide a team into thinking they're a winner. If Cowher would have coach the 2009 edition of the Bills, they would have been over .500 and probably would have finally beaten the Pats. That's a big season for us Bill fans.

We've got pleeb assistant coaches with other teams confirming that they aren't coaching with us yet the most coveted name refuses to comment either way?

CBS goes through and entire pre-game show and makes NO MENTION of the ONLY coaching vacancy in the NFL and the fact that Cowher is a candidate. None of Cowher's co-host even make a joke or reference it?

I'm not a detective but something is fishy.

I agree it's just too wierd. Rivera comes out and says no. Grimm apparently may be saying the same. Yet Cowher is too polite to say anything? BS

Maybe it's a deal where the Bills agreed not to pull the trigger on someone else until checking with Cowher, and Cowher was allowed to keep other options open until getting the final drop-dead notice from the Bills.

Here's what I don't get:

I think it's a long shot for Cowher to come her because of Ralph's reputation. However, until Bill Cowher or the Buffalo Bills say: "I/Bill will not be coaching the Bills next year" then the story is very much alive. I really don't give a **** what forum rumor smacktards say or the "insiders". If they were as inside as they claim, they'd just ****ing call Cowher and get an definitive answer. NO ONE, NO ONE, NO ONE has reported that Bill Cowher has declined the job. Every report is the same nonsense that starts with "a source". Well until BC is the source I'm not convinced.

This is the piece that puzzles me the most. If all of the media pundits are confident that Cowher will not be coaching in Buffalo why doesn't Cowher or the Bills just come out and say it? There's absolutely no reason for him not to kill this story UNLESS he is considering coaching in Buffalo.

We've got pleeb assistant coaches with other teams confirming that they aren't coaching with us yet the most coveted name refuses to comment either way?

CBS goes through and entire pre-game show and makes NO MENTION of the ONLY coaching vacancy in the NFL and the fact that Cowher is a candidate. None of Cowher's co-host even make a joke or reference it?

I'm not a detective but something is fishy.

I agree. The only time you don't talk about something is when you are in negotiations. I'm not saying Cowher is coming to Buffalo for sure, but I am convinced that he is in some type of negotiations about salary or player control or some sticking point for him to be HC. Based on what? Simply based on the fact he has not out right denied his candidacy for the position and he didn't talk about it at all on CBS yesterday.

The Bills have no leverage. Crappy economy, crappy team, terrible ownership and management. Cowher will stay at CBS making mucho bucks and watching his daughter play sports. He will return to the NFL when he wants and it will be on his terms, not the Bills. I sometimes wish the Bills will move so I can root for anther team. This is pathethic! An NFL franchise cannot even convience someone who is worth a darn to even interview for the job!

I agree. The only time you don't talk about something is when you are in negotiations. I'm not saying Cowher is coming to Buffalo for sure, but I am convinced that he is in some type of negotiations about salary or player control or some sticking point for him to be HC. Based on what? Simply based on the fact he has not out right denied his candidacy for the position and he didn't talk about it at all on CBS yesterday.

Agree that he may be in negotiations and we are going through the motions of others just in case it all falls thru.

No way... he has more leverage than any coach has ever had with any team. Owners view him as a commodity because not only will he sell tickets for years to come, but, he's a proven winner and can guide a team into thinking they're a winner. If Cowher would have coach the 2009 edition of the Bills, they would have been over .500 and probably would have finally beaten the Pats. That's a big season for us Bill fans.

Yeah, but Cowher did not really develop a Super Bowl legacy until Big Ben arrived.

That has me wondering how much of it was truly Cowher and how much of it was finally getting a franchise QB.

For all of the (what I am sure is flattering) interest in Cowher (do we really need to inflate that ego anymore than it already is?), his tap-dancing is getting really old, really fast.

Either be a man and say 'no, you are not interested', or sit down and talk out a deal.

At this point, and with all of these coordinators who now seem so happy in their current post, I like Jim Harbaugh in Stanford.

Yeah, the CBS broadcast sucks royally (I keep wishing that Bruce Smith comes ripping from off stage and then sacks Marino, knocking him to the ground, causing Marino to cry to the producer), as none of them are charming or really informative. James Brown is the sole bright spot, and Esiason with a better cast could be respectable.

One thing that irritates me is how irrelevant the Bills are. I would even notice during the season how Brown would not even mention the Bills final score, as if they did not even play. Now, based upon what we have watched this season I would have to agree, but to not even mention the game is a serious slight.

Cowher is really starting to irritate me. Like the previous poster said, if he wanted to squash the story he would just come out and say that he is not interested. Instead, he is not doing that. He is playing games. I say quit the tap-dancing already. Either ****, or get off the pot!

I would like to see the Bills pursue Jim Harbaugh.

Agree that he may be in negotiations and we are going through the motions of others just in case it all falls thru.

I agree things seem askew - but

how long are these f..ing negotiations?? Shanahan done, Carroll done... they could have been working on this for months. when was Jauron fired??

cant take much more

:huh:

I agree things seem askew - but

how long are these f..ing negotiations?? Shanahan done, Carroll done... they could have been working on this for months. when was Jauron fired??

cant take much more

:huh:

Well look at how long it took from time Buddy came in here as Chief Scout to appointment to GM. Ralph and Russ could have named him shortly after the DJ firing.

Yeah, but Cowher did not really develop a Super Bowl legacy until Big Ben arrived.

That has me wondering how much of it was truly Cowher and how much of it was finally getting a franchise QB.

For all of the (what I am sure is flattering) interest in Cowher (do we really need to inflate that ego anymore than it already is?), his tap-dancing is getting really old, really fast.

Either be a man and say 'no, you are not interested', or sit down and talk out a deal.

At this point, and with all of these coordinators who now seem so happy in their current post, I like Jim Harbaugh in Stanford.

a winner doesn't mean a superbowl winner. he had playoff runs with: bubby brister, neil o'donnell and slash. these were not good quarterbacks, but fit a scheme the coaches designed on the strengths of other players around the team... where the qb could succeed. that's a mark of a great coach.

Well look at how long it took from time Buddy came in here as Chief Scout to appointment to GM. Ralph and Russ could have named him shortly after the DJ firing.

The Bills may have already had Buddy in line to be the GM when they hired him. They essentially interviewed only him, as the John Guy interview appears to be a sham. What is worrisome, is the lack of changes thus far. I know its early and the playoffs aren't over, but I don't see why there hasn't been a real front offic shakeup that was promised.

a winner doesn't mean a superbowl winner. he had playoff runs with: bubby brister, neil o'donnell and slash. these were not good quarterbacks, but fit a scheme the coaches designed on the strengths of other players around the team... where the qb could succeed. that's a mark of a great coach.

How dare you insult the offensive prowess of the Bubster?

He is the only QB I've ever seen have a pitch play picked off.