How can you not love Kurt Warner?

Steely Dan

Despite the Jesus freak tendencies, I've always loved the guy. Good story, and a good person, if a NY Times profile of him last year is to be believed.

Amen!

God knows I wanted us to sign him back in 2004.

Re: Christians...there's a verse about God's eye being on the sparrow. If it's on the sparrow, it's probably on a football game too. Personally I think that God cares about everything we do, to some extent or another. I'm sure he'd be the first to say that God doesn't care about football like he does about big issues facing humanity. That doesn't mean God does not care about human pursuits. Sports brings out some of the best aspects of humanity, and let's face it, humans are REALLY REALLY interested in sports. It can be a vehicle for an athlete to...dare I say...be a role model.

The annoyance some feel about Warner's articulated faith has more to do with us than with Warner. Because frankly, if Warner is wrong, does it really matter? For him? For us? Hell, his faith may very well make him a better football player. Beats PEDs.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's too bad that you have the screenname of such an awesome band when you have such a weak take. Yes, Warner is a good QB who has had the good fortune to have awesome weapons 2X in his career. However, when he had a less stellar supporting cast (see NY Giants) and OF coordinator, he was horrific.

I also cannot stand the "thank you Jesus!" poster boy that he seems to be. But I am from the old-school or religion (see non- born again, non-fundamentalist), where you set an example by the life you lead, not by the first microphone you get in front of. That aspect of Kurt Warner makes me want to puke in my suit. But, if you want him, you can have him.

He was injured; his thumb took a full 3 years or so to heal.

Three years to heal??? Was it torn off like John Wayne Bobbitt's talleywhacker? Was he "beating the bishop"so much to avoid having to sleep with his wife? No, perhaps it is because he now has all-world Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin and he use dto have Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce and Marshall Faulk. Warner is a good QB, just not the omnipotent, all-world, Bible-thumping QB this board seems to think he is.

He was injured; his thumb took a full 3 years or so to heal.

Three years to heal??? Was it torn off like John Wayne Bobbitt's talleywhacker? Was he "beating the bishop"so much to avoid having to sleep with his wife? No, perhaps it is because he now has all-world Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin and he use dto have Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce and Marshall Faulk. Warner is a good QB, just not the omnipotent, all-world, Bible-thumping QB this board seems to think he is.

He had a tendon issue that kept re-occuring as he 'played through it', on his throwing thumb. Once he took some real time off and got it completely healed he was back.

29-33 for 5 tds is not all on the receivers, sorry. Kurt gets a little credit for todays win and for being an excellent player. Bible thumper and all.

I live in AZ and my daughter went to school with his kids (public school). He's authentic. What you see is what you get and always friendly and approachable. If his faith keeps him sane in this crazy world, who are we to comment.

+1

If he would stop with the Bible thumping after every game it would be great.

I cannot stand players that thank God after a win. Do you think God gives two flying craps about the outcome of the football game? And moreover, why don't you every blame God after a loss? Keep the Church stuff at, well, church. It makes the reporter uncomfortable, it makes the audience uncomfortable.

How about thanking your offensive line and going to the locker room.

I agree. That annoys me too. Other than that he's a great guy, IMO.

Rarely do I agree with you and I'm starting to have second thoughts now about Warner, but I do have to say that he appears to be a class act, classic overachiever and is about as clutch as it comes. He's a classy winner!

I just may have to delete this thread now. Get rid of the evidence. :flirt::wallbash:

I was the only person on this board who didn't want to draft Lynch so you can spare me that. And I could care less about Warner's religion; if he takes pride in his faith, more power to him. Right or wrong, I just don;t get the sense he's as sincere as he makes out; and apparently I'm not the only one picking up on it.

I was in the do not draft Lynch camp. The shooting at him, the accusations of the woman (who had inconsistencies in her story, the rape allegations) I think there's more I'm forgetting. After the stories seemed to be all BS I changed my mind and when the Bills drafted him I assumed they had vetted him well. So I was with you for awhile but changed my mind. Looks like you were right.

Honestly, what annoys you more, the fact that Kurt Warner means what he says and says what he means and acknowledges God who he believes has helped him through his life, or people sucking up and kissing butt to Tom Brady? Seriously, there are more important things to argue about, like bias in the media involving professional sports (see Tom Brady)

Seriously, why does everything that is meant for entertainment purposes or natural interest, whether in sports or in entertainment, always seem to be dragged into a political or religious debate???

Warner makes it that way. If he didn't have the Jesus freak thing going on it never would've come up. JMO

I had a friend in St. Louis whose young son was in the children's hospital for a few months. Guess who personally visited him 5 different times in those few months....

Trying to prolytize the poor little kid, a captive audience.

I was the only person on this board who didn't want to draft Lynch so you can spare me that. And I could care less about Warner's religion; if he takes pride in his faith, more power to him. Right or wrong, I just don;t get the sense he's as sincere as he makes out; and apparently I'm not the only one picking up on it.

one of my current colleagues in the church was Kurt's pastor when they were both in Iowa ... according to my colleague, Kurt was an extremely dedicated, real Christian. Unless he's changed dramatically, I would guess he still is. I find it interesting that the biggest critics of who is a sincere Christian or not are those who don't even have faith in Christ. Many times the best story is ratting out someone who just isn't as perfect as Jesus ... as tough as that may be ... :huh: