So how is your 401K?

MarkyMannn

When they went down the tubes in 08/09, I lost 50%. Poor decision making on my part could have limited it to a 25% loss. Well as of today I am almost whole now, at 90% of the peak. Still putting what I can into it, mostly aggressive too.

I saw an article on GE in March of this year, put a good chunk into it and made 54% as of today :lol:

A loss opportunity: Around 3/1 this year, on a Harley forum, it was posted it was at 6.5 and to buy. Since then it has gone to 26. :thumbsup: Still, a company with a shaky status and future, I can't understand it.

Also been thinking about income property, a double, although I really have no experience there. Part of my scheme was my kids want to move to their own place. Why not move into 1 unit and pay me? :ph34r:

So what are your plans or advice to everyone?

I am federal employee... I use their TSP. I have always stashed money in there rather conservatively and timed the market with funds that assume risk... Probably didn't pay-off well years ago when things were going well, but when things crashed, I didn't lose a whole bunch either... Under 5%.

I know all the preaching and the "you are young part." But, still... Ever since things tanked, I yanked everything out of anything with a risk and have it all in the G Fund where it can't lose money and is guaranteed to make something.

I still have a bunch of money that I am happy with and feel is acceptable without the added fear of losing money while things in the economy work themselves out. Money still compounds more and more.

Key Features

The G Fund offers the opportunity to earn rates of

interest similar to those of long-term Government securities but without any risk of loss

of principal and very little volatility of earnings.

The objective of the G Fund is to maintain a higher return than inflation

without exposing the fund to risk of default or changes in market prices.

The G Fund is invested in short-term U.S. Treasury securities specially

issued to the TSP. Payment of principal and interest is guaranteed by

the U.S. Government. Thus, there is no "credit risk."

The interest rate resets monthly and is based on the weighted average

yield of all outstanding Treasury notes and bonds with 4 or more years

to maturity.

Earnings consist entirely of interest income on the securities.

Interest on G Fund securities has, over time, outpaced inflation and

90-day T-bills.

I'm in about the same boat as you. I lost about 50% and am back up to about 90%. I don't make any of my own investments,I'd be lost. So I really can't help with advice. I have a financial advisor at my bank that I talk to and he invests it for me. I am looking into real estate tho. There's some good deals out there.I Would like to get another rental or maybe 2. Problem is,the real estate market out here in California is scandelous. Lots of shady deals going on. It's not just like you put in a bid on a property and you either get or you don't. I know lots of friends who have had their bid accepted and waited monthes thinking that the property is theirs,only to not get it in the end. And sometimes they're not even told. They just quit hearing from everyone and after many phone calls are told the deal fell thru. Still,I'm keeping my eyes open looking for a good deal.