Potential, A little lesson in roster cuts

Pitta

I thought I'd start this conversation here since there are so many random posts out there in which people are projecting which players will make the final 53 man roster.

Guys with "POTENTIAL" generally do not make the final roster. Guys with "POTENTIAL" are lucky to find themselves on the practice squad. Guys with "POTENTIAL" generally do not displace vets unless the guy with "POTENTIAL" has completely outplayed the vet and shown himself to be invaluable during mini-camp and the preseason.

Every player who makes the final roster is going to be expected to contribute in some way or fashion - if it's not with the first team, they better be able to do something on special teams. An exception to this general rule would be someone like Losman - a first round draft pick they are grooming to be the quarterback of the future, who could, however, step in with the first team and contribute if there was a need. There is no way that an NFL team would pay a guy with "POTENTIAL" the league minimum (for rookies, it's $200k+) to sit on the bench and do absolutely nothing during the game.

The only players you might see on an active roster who wouldn't necessarily be expected to contribute right away are draft picks (Losman, Sape last year, etc.) - the team already has a vested interest in these players by paying them signing bonuses and using a draft pick on them. This is definitely not the case for undrafted rookie free agents - they are a lot more likely to find themselves on the practice squad initially or booted all together regardless of their potential.

So, for those who think Jason Peters' POTENTIAL is going to be enough in and of itself to earn him one of three TE spots on the active roster, it just does not happen that way. Even someone like Luke Lawton has clearly shown more during the preseason and camp and still, all we hear about him is that he'll probably make the practice squad. Sure, having a TE the size of Peters is exciting. No one is denying that Peters' sheer size and alleged speed present some unique opportunities for a team - but Peters physical attributes and talent will not be enough for him to make the final roster (unless we keep 4 TEs) because he just has not been able to pick up the offense during camp. Because he doesn't have the mental part of the game down, his size on the field could in fact become more of a liability than an attribute - a big guy his size in the wrong place at the wrong time could cause some serious injuries to our own players!

So please, enough with this "POTENTIAL" thing already. "POTENTIAL" does not beat out experience and performance in determining who will make the 53 man roster.

I thought I'd start this conversation here since there are so many random posts out there in which people are projecting which players will make the final 53 man roster.

Guys with "POTENTIAL" generally do not make the final roster. Guys with "POTENTIAL" are lucky to find themselves on the practice squad. Guys with "POTENTIAL" generally do not displace vets unless the guy with "POTENTIAL" has completely outplayed the vet and shown himself to be invaluable during mini-camp and the preseason.

Every player who makes the final roster is going to be expected to contribute in some way or fashion - if it's not with the first team, they better be able to do something on special teams. An exception to this general rule would be someone like Losman - a first round draft pick they are grooming to be the quarterback of the future, who could, however, step in with the first team and contribute if there was a need. There is no way that an NFL team would pay a guy with "POTENTIAL" the league minimum (for rookies, it's $200k+) to sit on the bench and do absolutely nothing during the game.

The only players you might see on an active roster who wouldn't necessarily be expected to contribute right away are draft picks (Losman, Sape last year, etc.) - the team already has a vested interest in these players by paying them signing bonuses and using a draft pick on them. This is definitely not the case for undrafted rookie free agents - they are a lot more likely to find themselves on the practice squad initially or booted all together regardless of their potential.

So, for those who think Jason Peters' POTENTIAL is going to be enough in and of itself to earn him one of three TE spots on the active roster, it just does not happen that way. Even someone like Luke Lawton has clearly shown more during the preseason and camp and still, all we hear about him is that he'll probably make the practice squad. Sure, having a TE the size of Peters is exciting. No one is denying that Peters' sheer size and alleged speed present some unique opportunities for a team - but Peters physical attributes and talent will not be enough for him to make the final roster (unless we keep 4 TEs) because he just has not been able to pick up the offense during camp. Because he doesn't have the mental part of the game down, his size on the field could in fact become more of a liability than an attribute - a big guy his size in the wrong place at the wrong time could cause some serious injuries to our own players!

So please, enough with this "POTENTIAL" thing already. "POTENTIAL" does not beat out experience and performance in determining who will make the 53 man roster.

Give credit where credit is due - this is not your post. You copied it from my post over on the BB message boards. I guess you liked it since you copied it. Just give me a little shout out or something when plagiarizing my work!

Pat Williams.

I'm assuming you bring up Pat Williams because he was an undrafted rookie free agent who managed to meet his potential, no? I think you can name a whole bunch of guys who've started out their NFL careers as undrafted rookies and made their impact, even on this team. Here's a short list:

Ross Tucker

Antonio Brown

Mark Campbell

Ryan Neufeld

Josh Stamer

Pat Williams

Travis Brown

Joe Burns

Ken Simonton

Jeff Posey

London Fletcher

Rian Lindell

Jon Dorenbos

And I bet you'd find similar lists on most NFL rosters.

I think the point the post was making is that potential in and of itself is not enough for a guy to make an active roster. I'm sure most of the guys on the list above spent some time on practice squads here and there and have had to bust their butts to get on an NFL team. So while potential is good, you have to show more to eventually make an active roster.

Give credit where credit is due - this is not your post.  You copied it from my post over on the BB message boards.  I guess you liked it since you copied it.  Just give me a little shout out or something when plagiarizing my work!

9975[/snapback]

Stealing someone elses post and claiming it for their own = RJ + KG

Pitta if you did this you will forever be known as pitta-pathetic!

UHSLA you should supply a link if he really did this.

Well Pitta-pathetic there are three things about you:

1. You know how to copy and paste.

2. You know how to steal other people's ideas and thought and fraudulently claim them as your own.

3. You're a LOSER!

PITTA-PATHETIC

ps. I will NEVER let you live this down! That is if you ever show your Pitta-Pathetic ass around here again.

Guest BAD-OL

I'm hoping the Bills can hang onto him on the practice squad and that he turns into another Ray Brown. That guy was the same type of talent, but it took awhile for him to emerge. Then he played at a dominating level from age 28-38.