Toronto Argos

BillsNYC

Was watching Biography: John Candy this morning, and was surprised to learn that he was from the Toronto area and at the end of his life, was a minority owner of the Argos in the early 90s. He also did all the promoting for the stadium and the team in the area.

Does anybody else from the Buffalo area remember that? The Bills Super Bowl run must have overshadowed it for me. Apparently Candy died right after learning that they sold the team and was crushed.

Was good to see that Candy was a great guy in real life, just like his onscreen characters.

Was watching Biography: John Candy this morning, and was surprised to learn that he was from the Toronto area and at the end of his life, was a minority owner of the Argos in the early 90s. He also did all the promoting for the stadium and the team in the area.

Does anybody else from the Buffalo area remember that? The Bills Super Bowl run must have overshadowed it for me. Apparently Candy died right after learning that they sold the team and was crushed.

Was good to see that Candy was a great guy in real life, just like his onscreen characters.

I knew he was from Canada and SCTV was part of his rise to fame (and many other comedic stars), but I do miss that guy..

Wow. This is REALLY weird. I was just "away" for a little bit, as many people know, and one night I was bored. I got into the movie cabinet at this place, and pulled out "Uncle Buck" and "Only The Lonely."

The next day I said to somebody, "Man, I remember John Candy as a kid, he was such a great actor. I really miss that guy, and Chris Farley. They made some funny *bleeping* movies."

He was a co-owner along with Gretzky i believe and one other guy. I do remember Candy was a part owner with 2 other guys.

Bruce McNall was the third (he was the owner of the LA Kings). The whole ownership thing fell apart because McNall was charged with insider trading (I think..I know it was a white collar crime) and ended up losing all his money and going to jail. The end result was all his assets had to be sold including his ownership in the Argos. Since Gretzky and Candy were 1/3 owners, the new ownership group wanted 100%, so they had to sell.

Candy was as hands on as you could get with a team. He LOVED owning the Argos. He traveled with the team, watched from the sidelines in frigid outdoor Canadian stadiums. He was great for the team and the league. I remember meeting him at the Pancake House in Winnipeg before a Bombers game. One of the nicest, most affable people I have ever met in my life.

I still laugh at when, during the CFL Awards Show, while the President was prattling on about the state of the league, he sauntered up behind him holding a sign that said: "Argos Season Tickets? Call Me: 1-800-CANDY-ME" Crowd was howling.

Bruce McNall was the third (he was the owner of the LA Kings). The whole ownership thing fell apart because McNall was charged with insider trading (I think..I know it was a white collar crime) and ended up losing all his money and going to jail. The end result was all his assets had to be sold including his ownership in the Argos. Since Gretzky and Candy were 1/3 owners, the new ownership group wanted 100%, so they had to sell.

Candy was as hands on as you could get with a team. He LOVED owning the Argos. He traveled with the team, watched from the sidelines in frigid outdoor Canadian stadiums. He was great for the team and the league. I remember meeting him at the Pancake House in Winnipeg before a Bombers game. One of the nicest, most affable people I have ever met in my life.

I still laugh at when, during the CFL Awards Show, while the President was prattling on about the state of the league, he sauntered up behind him holding a sign that said: "Argos Season Tickets? Call Me: 1-800-CANDY-ME" Crowd was howling.

He was a class act. :wallbash:

He was a class act. :wallbash:

Heels20X6 is right: McNall made his fortune as a coin collector and he was instrumental in the trade that brought

Gretzky to L.A. in 1988. As for John Candy we can still see reruns of the shows he hosted in the 1980's on

Game TV in Canada. He was an avid sport fan and he got involved as much as he could in the Argos venture.

Heels20X6 is right: McNall made his fortune as a coin collector and he was instrumental in the trade that brought

Gretzky to L.A. in 1988. As for John Candy we can still see reruns of the shows he hosted in the 1980's on

Game TV in Canada. He was an avid sport fan and he got involved as much as he could in the Argos venture.

I remember all of that as well, being Canadian myself, these guys were very visible.