Question For All of You

When was the last time you saw this happen? Teams (other than the Bills) keep these guys. They don't trade them or let them walk; it doesn't happen.

The UFA OT they shoud focus on imo is Jeremy Trueblood to play RT.

Well since they haven't been extended or resigned yet, I would think they're going to FA. It's not that the Bills aren't capable of getting a guy, it's just that they've make the wrong choices...I just don't like the idea of having a rookie LT and rookie QB, unless the LT is a guaranteed stud; but there's never a guarantee with NFL players, it's only projections and assumptions. I'd rather have my QB of the future being protected by a veteran LT.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okung should be off the board by the 9th pick. If he is there is your pick.

But I am not a huge fan of any of the top QB's in this draft. Beside they might be gone by the time the Bills draft.

They know they need a playmaking LB. We know they need a playmaking LB. McClain if he comes out fits that mode.

It really depends on who they get during the free agent signing period. If they manage to get a LT that way and they like McClain enough they will take him IMO.

Not singling you out, but I've always had a big problem with the "you don't take X position that early in the round" because all that does is provide cover for inept talent evaluators. I know that people will provide verifiable data that shows X position being taken after certain slots in round one as justification for shying away from a player, but that data is suspect because evaluating draft prospects is more art than science, so if there's a question between players the GMs will resort to a safe pick of who "should" be taken that spot. An example is TD taking Mike Williams because he didn't like McKinney, but also knew that he had to take a tackle, because numbers tell you that with the 4th overall pick you take a big body.

But in the end, you want your first pick to be for a guy who will contribute to the team and who will be a very good football player. If you have good personnel people, they should be able to discern if a player will make your team better.

Using other examples, was it wise in retrospect for every team to pass up Chris Spielman in the first round because he was slow and small? Zach Thomas lasting into 5th round? Saint Bruschi into 3rd?

McClain may not have the raw athleticism of a Mike Mamula, but scouts probably don't discount a defensive coordinator who's on the field and understands the game and has the instinct to know where the offense is going. That alone could make McClain the best LB Bills have had since a healthy Spikes. I'll take that with the #9 pick any day.

The Bills have to build a better team, not just patch a hole or two, hence it's the player. Do you spend your 1st round pick on John McCargo because you need a DT or Cade McNown because you need a QB and he's the best one left or do you go with the best player (using your example) Cornelius Bennett, even though you already have an average LB?

You can say what we want now but nothing will make sense until free agency. I believe that we will address the left tackle thing in free agency. If we do then we should be able to get McClain during the draft. I do not watch college football but if he is as good as some of the fans say he is then it would be a mistake not to get him. Move Poz to outside linebacker. Hopefully we get a decent linebacker during free agency as well.

I admit that yesterday was the only game I've ever paid close attention to McClain. He just didn't stand out to me athletically as much as I was expecting him to. Part of that may be what he does on that defense, but it kind of looked like he was the 2nd or 3rd best player on that defense last night. Everytime I saw him come in on a read blitz, he got nowhere, just disapeared into the line.

He also looks a lot smaller than 6'4, 258 lbs. You can't tell me that he looks as big as Aaron Schobel out there.

I understand that he doesn't have to be a Patrick Willis athlete to be a great player and worthy of a high pick, but I kind of disagree about his field generalship being enough to justify picking him at #9 when we have no left tackle.

Also what's the deal with "Mount Cody"? Why wasn't he ever on the field except as a fullback?

I admit that yesterday was the only game I've ever paid close attention to McClain. He just didn't stand out to me athletically as much as I was expecting him to. Part of that may be what he does on that defense, but it kind of looked like he was the 2nd or 3rd best player on that defense last night. Everytime I saw him come in on a read blitz, he got nowhere, just disapeared into the line.

He also looks a lot smaller than 6'4, 258 lbs. You can't tell me that he looks as big as Aaron Schobel out there.

I understand that he doesn't have to be a Patrick Willis athlete to be a great player and worthy of a high pick, but I kind of disagree about his field generalship being enough to justify picking him at #9 when we have no left tackle.

Also what's the deal with "Mount Cody"? Why wasn't he ever on the field except as a fullback?

Texas is not a running team, they're a passing team. They use the big guy to stuff the run. Cody has always been a situational player. He's not an every down guy.

Texas is not a running team, they're a passing team. They use the big guy to stuff the run. Cody has always been a situational player. He's not an every down guy.

ok, that's what I figured. If he's a situational player while still in college, he's not getting picked very high. 2nd round at best. That said, we should consider him in the 2nd round, lol.

He was, just in DT rotation. Saw him bulldoze straight up a couple times. Will be a good NT.

Was hoping to see him run the ball in end tho, Fridge-style.

They're probably have around the same measurables, difference being: Maybin is at that size trying to play defensive end, while McClain is playing linebacker at that size with better speed. Big difference there.

Maybin weighs 5 lbs. than Jason Taylor and is 2" shorter. So let's stop using his size as a knock against him. If he fails, it will because of lack of ability IMO. http://www.nfl.com/players/jasontaylor/profile?id=TAY338550

http://www.nfl.com/players/aaronmaybin/profile?id=MAY287870

ok, that's what I figured. If he's a situational player while still in college, he's not getting picked very high. 2nd round at best. That said, we should consider him in the 2nd round, lol.

i was going to say as much myself. i would think it would be a no brainer if he was still there in the second. but he'll probably end up going late-first. he's definitely not a top-10, and maybe not a top-20, pick.

but then again, who knows when it comes to this draft stuff. especially in January...

Maybin weighs 5 lbs. than Jason Taylor and is 2" shorter. So let's stop using his size as a knock against him. If he fails, it will because of lack of ability IMO. http://www.nfl.com/players/jasontaylor/profile?id=TAY338550

My response to the comparison that he made to Maybin's size wasn't meant to be a knock of Maybin as a player. Just saying that the comparison wasn't a good one because they play two different positions in the first place.

I just guessing here but when they did the interview with Frazier one of the questions I am SURE they asked him is ....

how would you use Maybin in your Defense?

One of the things that bugged me last year was the fact that Fewell did not get him on the field more often, you cant learn when you are sitting the bench. WAY to early to say Maybin is a bust IMO.

For those who weren't impressed last night, here's a quote from Rolando after the game:

"I just want to go home and take another shower and go to sleep," McClain said. "That’s how weak and tired I am right now. But my team needed me. They needed me to be a leader, and I couldn’t let them see that I was sick. I couldn’t let them see that I wasn’t 100 percent. For them, I’d do anything"

For those who weren't impressed last night, here's a quote from Rolando after the game:

"I just want to go home and take another shower and go to sleep," McClain said. "That’s how weak and tired I am right now. But my team needed me. They needed me to be a leader, and I couldn’t let them see that I was sick. I couldn’t let them see that I wasn’t 100 percent. For them, I’d do anything"

Great...he's weak. Pass.

:thumbsup:

I just guessing here but when they did the interview with Frazier one of the questions I am SURE they asked him is ....

how would you use Maybin in your Defense?

One of the things that bugged me last year was the fact that Fewell did not get him on the field more often, you cant learn when you are sitting the bench. WAY to early to say Maybin is a bust IMO.

Not to completely side track this thread but it's hard to blame guys coaching for their jobs not to put out players they have questions about. The training camp situation really hurt him and the coaches' trust in him. Hopefully with a full offseason of conditioning and a full training camp, we will see some production out of him.