Ask Tim Graham: Part III

TimGraham

Tim,

What are your thoughts on the direction Buffalo goes in R1? We all have our thoughts an ideas but I am curious to see what someone who covers the AFC east and has a totally different vantage point thinks. Nix has been the king of double talk and subliminal messages for some time now and I do not think I can stand reading another mock from some guy who has never stepped foot on a field, or in a locker room and interviewed players. Thanks.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim,

What are your thoughts on the direction Buffalo goes in R1? We all have our thoughts an ideas but I am curious to see what someone who covers the AFC east and has a totally different vantage point thinks. Nix has been the king of double talk and subliminal messages for some time now and I do not think I can stand reading another mock from some guy who has never stepped foot on a field, or in a locker room and interviewed players. Thanks.

Purely my gut feeling based on my observations and not from any inside knowledge, but my prediction is Jimmy Clausen if three tackles are gone.

Purely my gut feeling based on my observations and not from any inside knowledge, but my prediction is Jimmy Clausen if three tackles are gone.

Ok, follow up. You are Nix- Okung and Trent Williams are gone. Who do you take? Assuming Bradford, Suh and Mccoy have been picked. Do you think Clausen is there at 9 or do the Raiders or Browns take him?

I wouldn't say it's an obsession. It's logical to speculate that a player with baggage, who has been suspended already and is one more mistake away from a long suspension, who has not shown up for offseason workouts a year after losing his job, who looked nothing like a Pro Bowl running back last year, who will be playing for a coach trying to establish a new culture and might be looking to make a statement in the locker room, is a prime candidate to be traded.

And you can't say Lynch isn't a cancer in the locker room. You don't know that, and neither do I. The only way you know for sure is when somebody confirms it. There are tons of instances where teammates or a coach didn't confirm a problem until the player was gone because they were trying to make the best of a situation. I covered one of those guys in Miroslav Satan. When a player is wearing your jersey, you remain diplomatic.

When I used to watch Lynch on the sidelines during preseason games he seemed to be chatting it up with everyone. He and Jackson seemed to be close based on reports. Perhaps, though, he is that guy who won't stop annoying people.

So... I was just thinking about dropping you a line to ask if you'd picked up a Sabres playoff gig, and then I clicked on Riter's podcast and heard you talking about it. Fun to cover the pucks again? And did you ask for your old seat? :thumbsup:

So... I was just thinking about dropping you a line to ask if you'd picked up a Sabres playoff gig, and then I clicked on Riter's podcast and heard you talking about it. Fun to cover the pucks again? And did you ask for your old seat? :lol:

I loved being at the rink again. I was able to cover the Sabres angle for the Boston Globe. Didn't get my old seat, though, because I was in the visitor's press box.

I'll do it again if there's a Game 7. Can't cover Game 5 because it conflicts with the NFL draft.

When I used to watch Lynch on the sidelines during preseason games he seemed to be chatting it up with everyone. He and Jackson seemed to be close based on reports. Perhaps, though, he is that guy who won't stop annoying people.

I wouldn't put much weight into the fact people talk to him on the sidelines. Everybody has worked with the guy who walks from desk to desk in the office, chatting away and not getting his assignments done.

Tim, I am really starting to get the feeling that offensive tackle is not going to be the pick at 9. Based on the players that are likely to be available, It doesn't seem like Trent Williams or Anthony Davis would fit in with Buddy Nix's strategy (via the luncheon) of picking guys that are safe bets to be productive. If Jimmy Clausen isn't the pick, linebacker would make much more sense. Their are more productive players at the position, like Sergio Kindle, Jerry Hughes, or Derrick Morgan. I could even see Rolondo McClain being picked, despite our new found depth at ILB. What do you think?

Tim,

Could Levitre play LT and be solid, or is he purely a guard who can fill in at tackle in a pinch?

Is Eric Wood a good enough Center to trade down with a G.B. or Philly to get a G?

If either of these guys are suited to move would it be feasible that Nix could be considering moving down with G.B. or Philly to pick up extra picks and draft a Iupati or Pouncey in mid 1st?

If not -- considering the top 2 tackles are off -- would Williams be the most logical choice vs. reaching on Clausen?

And most importantly -- please tell me they won't draft Tebow .....

Tim,

d you know if there has been any talks about the bills making a play for big ben?

Sorry I didn't get to answer this one before it was rendered moot. The thread disappeared during the draft. But based on everything I've heard, the Bills were not interested in Roethlisberger.

Please grade our draft Tim.

I give it a B-

I'm not going to grade a draft now. The Bills drafted a lot of players from smaller conferences I didn't see playing on my television. Neither you nor I have any clue how well they're going to perform on Sunday afternoons.

Sorry I didn't get to answer this one before it was rendered moot. The thread disappeared during the draft. But based on everything I've heard, the Bills were not interested in Roethlisberger.

Yeah...my apologies for that. I still saw the thread, so didn't realize that it had been set as invisible to most everyone else until the disappearance was pointed out to me earlier today. Although in retrospect, maybe I should've wondered a little earlier why nobody was posting in it... :P

Hope you're well. Sorry the Sabres couldn't give you another game to cover tonight.

I'm not going to grade a draft now. The Bills drafted a lot of players from smaller conferences I didn't see playing on my television. Neither you nor I have any clue how well they're going to perform on Sunday afternoons.

Leave it to a national sports writer to be the one to show some sense on this board...

True. Takes at least three years to grade a draft.

How do you feel about Spiller? He's certainly a talented football player but was this a luxury pick? A luxury we couldn't afford given the needs at QB and LT. I guess it really speaks to how Nix felt about the QBs available in the draft. Any thoughts about this? Thanks.