Bills QB situation

bfw1234

I believe Brohm is the answer at QB - solidify Oline, dline and lb. get a good HC, OC and give him a year. If the same guy who played at Lousiville doesn't show up next year, then draft Mallet or Locker (if available). but I think w/ a stronger Oline and with time to throw, Brohm will have a big career - the talent is self-evident, just build the line and let him throw.

Incidently, Edwards had time to throw at the beginning of the year but "checked down" so it is possible for Bills QBs to get time - I think the Oline will be mostly 2nd yr players next year but they should get some solid vet help. I like Incognito and Levitre at guard. and when Wood is healthy, I'd like to see him return to his natural position center. Recall he was Brohm's college center. We need to solidify the tackle spots. but not through draft -

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree with your bolded text. Any time you throw a young QB into the fire, without having had the chance to learn the offense, and without pass protection of any kind,
. The two differences are that Brohm received worse pass protection than did the rookie Manning, and Brohm had less time to learn the offense than the rookie Manning had.

Rather than getting too caught up in Brohm's one game performance as a Bill, or even his time in Green Bay, I'd tend to focus more on his college career. If there's a chance to draft a significantly better college QB than Brohm had been, then by all means the Bills should take advantage of that opportunity. In particular, I've heard a rumor that Brohm's college offense only required him to make one read, and to dump the ball off if that read was covered. If there's an available QB who proved more than Brohm did in college (either by making more reads, or in some other way), the Bills should take him. But if there isn't a guy like that out there, the Bills should go in a different direction with their early draft picks. There'd be no shame in using the 9th overall pick on a LT, then trading back into the first round for a big DT.

Under that plan, the Bills would fill two needs at critical positions. They'd start Brohm for 16 games. If he's as bad as some people think, the Bills could easily end up with an early pick in the 2011 draft. That pick could be used on a QB, who might turn out to be a better player than any of the QBs available for the Bills in 2010. If, however, Brohm succeeds, then the Bills could use that pick on some other position. The main pitfall is if Brohm plays somewhere between these two extremes. What we don't want is the next J.P. Losman: a guy who shows just enough flashes to keep getting fed opportunities and chances, but who never does enough to prove he's the answer. A guy like that can be a coach and GM killer, as Losman was.

"

Brohm ran a pro-set in college. go back and look at the tapes. He had multiple recievers. I doubt he made one read and dumped the ball off. Did you hear that from Andrew Filliponi on WGR? Filliponi is a Brohm basher

If this team goes into 2010 with Brohm as the quarterback, we have less of a chance to win than we did with Fitz or Losman or Edwards or Rob Johnson for that matter. If they go into 2010 content with Brohm, that means that all they got for a new Head Coach was another Yes Man, who has won nowhere.

I'd be more scared going into the season with Bell starting at LT again. In my opinion, LT should be the number one priority in the draft, if possible. What's the point in drafting a new QB, just to watch him get killed. I wouldn't be surprised if all three current QBs are on the roster next year with no one new being brought in. I don't want that to happen, but I think it might. :lol:

Guest dog14787
Preseason game #1:

3 of 10 for 18 yds, 0 TD, 2 INT, 1 Sack

Preseaon game #2:

12 of 19 for 83 yds, 0 TD, 1 INT, 0 Sack

Preseason game #3:

4 of 5 for 45 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT, 0 Sack

Preseason game #4:

20 of 28 for 154 yds., 0 TD, 0 INT, 2 Sack

If I did not know better, but based strictly on these stats, the dude looks like the second coming of Trent Edwards.

No, thanks.

Good grief, the steady improvement is right there in front of you.

"Brohm ran a pro-set in college. go back and look at the tapes. He had multiple recievers. I doubt he made one read and dumped the ball off. Did you hear that from Andrew Filliponi on WGR? Filliponi is a Brohm basher

Thanks for this information. The rumor I heard about Brohm having only one read was something I'd read on these boards. I reiterated the rumor here in hopes that other posters might be able to definitively confirm or refute it.

If Brohm made multiple reads in college (which running a pro set does not necessarily prove), it would indicate that his chances of becoming a bona fide NFL starter are considerably higher than I had previously believed.

I'd be more scared going into the season with Bell starting at LT again. In my opinion, LT should be the number one priority in the draft, if possible. What's the point in drafting a new QB, just to watch him get killed. I wouldn't be surprised if all three current QBs are on the roster next year with no one new being brought in. I don't want that to happen, but I think it might. :lol:

We need both like a car needs gas, but I would think it would be easier to find a good LT in free agency than a quarterback-and vice versa, easier to find a franchise QB in the draft than free agency-or off someones practice squad which has been the motto for the 2009 Bills. It is just a matter of spending the money to get one.

Fitz #1! LOL!!! :lol:

I don't know. Fitz seems to be the cold weather QB we've all been craving. 3 TD passes and 30 points in that snow storm. He didn't even look cold. And he had no glove on his throwing hand. Any thoughts as to what Trent would have done in that game?

Best snow storm performance by a Bills QB since 12/17 2000 when Flutie and Bledsoe duked it out in snow storm at the Ralph. I was at that game. Pats and Bills were content to run until RJ got hurt and Flutie came in throwing the long ball. Bledsoe followed suit. We ended up losing on a Ventari FG in OT.

Guest dog14787
I don't know. Fitz seems to be the cold weather QB we've all be craving. 3 TD passes and 30 points in that snow storm. He didn't even look cold. And he had no glove on his throwing hand. Any thoughts as to what Trent would have done in that game?

Best snow storm performance by a Bills QB since 12/17 2000 when Flutie and Bledsoe duked it out in snow storm at the Ralph. I was at that game. Pats and Bills were content to run until RJ got hurt and Flutie came in throwing the long ball. Bledsoe followed suit. We ended up losing on a Ventari FG in OT.

No doubt, Fitz is fearless and would only get better behind a good O-line in my opinion.