and the Bills Brass now consists of…

LGB

91 yr old Ralph Wilson, proclaimed marketing guy Russ Brandon and retired scout Buddy Nix who just fired the entire staff. If you were a potential coaching hire, would you want to walk into this enormous fire-rebuilding task with these three holding the reins? Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that one projected savior on this board - Bill Cowher is not interested. Other reports are flying around like lake-effect snow. But really when you think about it, who is out there that can build the scorched remains into a playoff-bound football team from the ground up before the moving vans arrive at OBD? How is this team any different than a new expansion team right now - with even less to work with? Hard to billieve that we went from just needing a taller WR to take the heat off Lee Evans a year ago- to now a total and complete clean the decks and rebuild.

If you were a potential coaching hire and you wanted to be a head coach, you'd absolutely take the job. There aren't going to be many openings outside of Buffalo, save for the Redskins (Shanny), Raiders (now truly no one wants to coach there), or possibly the Bears.

And the Bills have needed a new coaching staff since last year's post-5-1 collapse. But the extension for Jauron obligated Ralph to keep him another year.

I think RB and Nix have alot more respect than you think. Is RB respected as a football wizard, no, but I think he's done a pretty good job overall at what he does know. Four years back RW was the laughing stock of the football world for being one of two owners who voted agaisnt the CBA. One of his quotes was he didn't understand it. So how smart are the rest of the owners who voted for it, only now to opt out. Seems like RW is way ahead of the times. If the majority of the posters on this board were half as smart as RW, they'd be doing well.

91 yr old Ralph Wilson, proclaimed marketing guy Russ Brandon and retired scout Buddy Nix who just fired the entire staff. If you were a potential coaching hire, would you want to walk into this enormous fire-rebuilding task with these three holding the reins? Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that one projected savior on this board - Bill Cowher is not interested. Other reports are flying around like lake-effect snow. But really when you think about it, who is out there that can build the scorched remains into a playoff-bound football team from the ground up before the moving vans arrive at OBD? How is this team any different than a new expansion team right now - with even less to work with? Hard to billieve that we went from just needing a taller WR to take the heat off Lee Evans a year ago- to now a total and complete clean the decks and rebuild.

I am a tad disappointed.

For all of this ego that these 'Big Name' coaches tout, and parade around how they want say on personnel, etc...they sure do act like a cowardly lot when a real job like building a team from the bottom up becomes available.

I would think that they would look at it like a challenge.

Man, I love Parcells...

this is exactly wrong...top coaches want all the control, this sort of situation allows you, at least potentially, to make the entire franchise exactly how you'd want it

If you were a potential coaching hire and you wanted to be a head coach, you'd absolutely take the job. There aren't going to be many openings outside of Buffalo, save for the Redskins (Shanny), Raiders (now truly no one wants to coach there), or possibly the Bears.

And the Bills have needed a new coaching staff since last year's post-5-1 collapse. But the extension for Jauron obligated Ralph to keep him another year.

This is exactly the point; why wait until now to pull the plug on the coaching staff? Why didn't RB and RW get rid of Jauron after the the collapse last year? They should have fired him after going winless in the division. Why fire Bobby April? This looks like a long term project...one that might out-live RW and the Bills existence in WNY.

Guest three3
This is exactly the point; why wait until now to pull the plug on the coaching staff? Why didn't RB and RW get rid of Jauron after the the collapse last year? They should have fired him after going winless in the division. Why fire Bobby April? This looks like a long term project...one that might out-live RW and the Bills existence in WNY.

it is as if ralph is not even interested in the team. anyone with half a brain knew jauron blew chunks. sometimes i wonder if ralph even watches the bills games. remember, this is only one of his many holdings

Well, for one thing, they had to let the staff go because that is common practice when bringing in a new HC. Actually this would be more attractive, since the new guy doesn't have to accept some coordinators already here. Anyone but Cowher would jump at this job. You can only look good after the mess that was created. No one wants to follow a legend, really. Anyway, forget Cowher. Remember how we used to beat his teams pretty regularly in the 90s? I never thought he was the coach of the century. Also, I don't like giving a coach control over personnel. Hasn't really worked in too many places has it? Let the talent evaluators get the players and let the coaches teach and work the Xs and Os as it should be.

Well, for one thing, they had to let the staff go because that is common practice when bringing in a new HC. Actually this would be more attractive, since the new guy doesn't have to accept some coordinators already here. Anyone but Cowher would jump at this job. You can only look good after the mess that was created. No one wants to follow a legend, really. Anyway, forget Cowher. Remember how we used to beat his teams pretty regularly in the 90s? I never thought he was the coach of the century. Also, I don't like giving a coach control over personnel. Hasn't really worked in too many places has it? Let the talent evaluators get the players and let the coaches teach and work the Xs and Os as it should be.

Maybe this will make sense today, but I doubt it. Every coach had to be fired? Why such a fire-sale? That is sending the wrong message to quality people like Bobby April.

Maybe this will make sense today, but I doubt it. Every coach had to be fired? Why such a fire-sale? That is sending the wrong message to quality people like Bobby April.

It sends the message to Bobby April that he's free to pursue other opportunities in case the new coach is bringing in his own special teams guy. He still gets paid, and he could still ignore other offers and try to come back. But you don't put together a staff for your new coach, you let him do it. And as a courtesy to your old staff, you give them a chance to lock down other jobs rather than ride the wave.

It sends the message to Bobby April that he's free to pursue other opportunities in case the new coach is bringing in his own special teams guy. He still gets paid, and he could still ignore other offers and try to come back. But you don't put together a staff for your new coach, you let him do it. And as a courtesy to your old staff, you give them a chance to lock down other jobs rather than ride the wave.

Sorry, but I'm not buying that. The fact that you are a good coach (presumably too good to let go) and you have shown dedication, worked hard and got the job done, should be enough for the Bills to at least interview April as head coach also.

Marv always said that there are three parts to winning football; defense, special teams and offense. That fact that April has proven that he has what it takes to be successful in an otherwise suspect organization has me thinking that the "then there were three" group or the trio that are the complete brain-trust for the Bills now, screwed up here. This sends the wrong message to players who played hurt (went the extra mile) and/or really contributed.