King on Cowher

LABills08

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that is what we are doing. Fewell is going to be the first one interviewed.

The Bills were looking at GM candidates as well as HC candidates up until the hiring of Nix. Thus if there is any need to make a case that they are doing their first HC interview to satisfy the Rooney Rule then that case can easily be made.

Actually, I have never seen a Rooney Rule requirement that the first interview must be a minority candidate and this makes little sense to me if it is the rule (Perhaps after Det and Millen so flagrantly ignored it with the hiring of the long since let go Mariucci without the semblance of any competitive interview process ridiculous things were required to deal with a ridiculous situation where the good old boy network resulted in few qualified minority candidates getting HC jobs while idiots such as Rich Kotite got multiple shots).

As best as I can tell the Rooney Rule represents a great step forward for the NFL as it does not simply require a hiring quota creating unqualified folks to get hired but does set an opportunity quota where an obviously aggrieved group gets a shot at inteviewing.

The blatant silliness of qualified applicants who happened to be of minority descent not getting HC jobs was clear by the numbers in the NFL. Rather than a hiring quota the NFL instituted an internship program to feed the pipeline of minority candidates. Though by the numbers the HCs do not come near to matching the racial breakdown on the players (an obvious major source of qualified candidates though clearly not an exclusive source) quite quickly we are seeing qualified minority candidates getting more HC jobs but also seeing them exceed with folks like Dungy and Tomlin HCing their teams to SB wins.

My guess is that Fewell has greatly increased his leverage in market place by toting up a 3-4 record as an HC of a team which was 3-6 when he got it. It seems clear to me that since he failed to achieve a winning record with the squad there is no way the Bills should keep him. However, by going through the interview process once (likely unsuccessfully unless Nix is totally deranged) and logging a near 500 record with a team that easily could have given up he has put himself on the track to be named asst HC somewhere in the DC role as well.

By the numbers, the Rooney Rule seems to work well.

Bill Cowher, the Buffalo Bills next head coach.

Hmmm...How many of us thought we'd sign TO?...Not me....I'll just say..Never say never.

I can't help it. I'm ALL in on this!

We're gonna change the tune around here from Buffalo Blues to 'CHIN' music!

King, Clayton... bunch of nerd losers who are lucky to be paid to do what they do

Anybody else catch the new guy on the 550 pregame show yesterday who kept saying "when john clayton says something about Bill Cowher that means a lot to me"?