Billick, Brian S, Rivera....what happened to Cowher?

DarthICE

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Coach Sal said this was a slam dunk or something like it? Out of all the listed above I would go with Billick for his offensive mind and previous head coaching exp.
Sal was very careful to hedge his report and never said it was a certainty. And I'll take Russ Grimm over all these 3.

I hope not. He is by far the weakest candidate out there. That would be a fail in my opinion for a HC hire.

Agreed...if we're going to go the coordinator route, lets at least go with Rivera. He's had success and is considered around the league to be a future head coach one day.

As opposed to Schottenheimer's kid who is considered around the league to continue being Schottenheimer's kid.

Agreed...if we're going to go the coordinator route, lets at least go with Rivera. He's had success and is considered around the league to be a future head coach one day.

As opposed to Schottenheimer's kid who is considered around the league to continue being Schottenheimer's kid.

I agree....This sounds like it could be another David Shula about to happen.

In fairness you might be a bit too dismissive of B Schottenheimer. From what I've seen he is pretty well respected young assistant. He's 36 years old and was under consideration for the Miami Head Coaching job after Nick Saban left. He withdrew his name from consideration though.

Last year before the Jets hired Rex Ryan, Schottenheimer was a finalist for that job also. It may say a lot that the Jets really wanted to keep Schottenheimer even after they passed him over for the head coaching job.

The last two quarterbacks he's worked with were Brett Favre whose diva act and injured bicep made him both uncoachable and ineffective. This year he had to coach a rookie QB who had something like 16 total starts in college.

This is a guy who might be in that Jason Garrett category...a young respected offensive mind. He was a college quarterback at Kansas and Florida and has been an assistant coach for the last 12 years with a father and brother who were/are also NFL coaches.

I thought Coach Sal said this was a slam dunk or something like it? Out of all the listed above I would go with Billick for his offensive mind and previous head coaching exp.

Cowher has already said he will not interview for ANY TEAM until the season is over, so they can't even have him in until Monday at the earliest

One thing is for sure...if we don't hear about Cowher coming in to Buffalo for an interview in the next 48 hours it's not going to happen. Just my two cents, basing it off of the aggressiveness of Buddy and the rumours of other people starting to hit the airwaves.

cowher saw buddy's presser and headed for ze hills.

You don't think there will be a stampede of big name coaches to join the Bills now that Buddy Nix is in charge? If anything, those who know Wilson's reputation and read his comments about how he decided on Nix as GM will not touch the HC job here with a ten-foot pole. I have the feeling that whomever is hired as HC will be a guy who is desperate and doesn't feel he could get an HC job elsewhere*.

* IMO there is one worse HC job: being Davis' puppet on the Oakland Raiders.

One thing is for sure...if we don't hear about Cowher coming in to Buffalo for an interview in the next 48 hours it's not going to happen. Just my two cents, basing it off of the aggressiveness of Buddy and the rumours of other people starting to hit the airwaves.

I couldn't care less about Bill Cowher. He did a very good job in Pittsbugh over a long period of time, but the last time he was called on to change a team's culture, was back in 1992- that's a very long time ago and he has only proven he can do that one time. I give no preference to him over any other candidate.

The leverage angle isn't going to be much. I think there are going to be less job openings than people realize. The most likely senario is that Cowher stays with CBS and The bills hire a 2nd tier (or worse) coach.

That's what I'm thinking too. A few weeks ago it looked like Dallas, Carolina, and Tampa would be open, but that's not the case anymore.