so it begins.. Ron Rivera

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Highly doubt it....

unless it is a move to fill the Rooney rule, that's about all I see into it.

Wouldn't the interview Nix said they would give Perry Fewell fulfill the Rooney rule? Rivera's been someone who has been up for jobs for probably 5 years now. Has coordinated top NFL defenses in Chicago and San Diego using both the 4-3 and 3-4. While I would prefer Bill Cowher, if they're unable to get him I'd be excited by this hiring.

Wouldn't the interview Nix said they would give Perry Fewell fulfill the Rooney rule? Rivera's been someone who has been up for jobs for probably 5 years now. Has coordinated top NFL defenses in Chicago and San Diego using both the 4-3 and 3-4. While I would prefer Bill Cowher, if their unable to get him I'd be excited by this hiring.

i agree.

Nix would prefer an experienced coach, but Rivera is on the due diligence list. He's a coordinator who has had major success, and has a real shot to be a winner.

It's all a negotiating ploy to make Cowher think he's going to lose the gig if he doesn't act fast ... he says, tongue-in-cheek ....

We're going to see a lot of this now. Just because they are talking to him doesn't mean he's first on their list, but you all know that. It would be a slap in the face for them to hire a guy with no head coaching experience after what Nix highlighted in his press conference the other day. That is, of course, unless there simply are no good experienced coaches out there willing to come to Buffalo, which is possible.

how about mcclain and merriman to go with poz and mitchell? LT Marcus Mcneil from San Diego is also a free agent, maybe nix can get merriman and Mcneil? That would take care of our LT need, Mcclain and merriman would turn our linebacker core around to a great one. Then we have the rest of the draft to get some O and D line depth or maybe a WR at some point if TO isnt resigned.

:bag:

How'd you know that?

Didn't "know," but started suspecting based on the results -- and the timing -- of the GM announcement. I just hope that the "rumors" floating around didn't begin with my posts here or the e-mail I sent to Riter (which he mentioned at the end of his show) on Thursday.

I will point out, though, that there isn't as much overlap between Rivera and Nix as one might think. Nix retired following the 2008 draft; the Chargers didn't promote Rivera to DC until the middle of the following season.

He seems to be a versatile defensive mind. I like that he learned under Buddy Ryan and Jim Johnson. He's been to a Super Bowl both as player and coach. He has no prior HC experience at any level, and I think that has really hurt him in the past when he has gone up for HC jobs. The list of successful HCs who have had no prior head coaching experience is just as long as the list of guys who have had prior coaching experience.

I think the biggest factor in hiring a guy with no HC experience is will he be willing to surround himself with coaches who may be more experienced than he is and can he convince some of the top offensive and defensive minds to come here and be a part of his staff.

I think a major problem in the past has been the fact that our coaches have been unsuccessful in bringing in top tier OCs and DCs at times when we obviously needed them.

I don't know about you all, but I would love this if we hired him. Say what you want, but our defense is just missing a proper scheme and few more players, and it has a chance to become a dominant defense. Our offense is a disaster and should take some time, but if our defense is so close, why not complete that first. Just look at the talent we have.

Schobel

Maybin

Williams

Stroud

Poz

Mitchell

McGee

McKelvin

Florence

Whitner

Byrd

If we get just a bit more talent on the front 7, and get a proper scheme goign with a good coach then bam.

Its just a guess, but I suspect that on the day when the Bills do name their next head coach, Rivera and the Chargers will still be preparing for their next playoff game. At the absolute earliest, they can't hire him before the 18th, and possibly as late as February 8th. I think Nix wants to get this over with, and while I don't expect a hire this upcoming week, I do think it'll be sooner rather than later.