Edwards will start next year

Edwards is the best QB on the roster at the moment if a new coach can coach him up. That said, if he does start, I have $10 that says he doesn't start ALL 16 games.

Give Edwards to Josh McDaniels or Mike Holmgren and you have a quarterback who can be a starter in this league. Will Edwards be a Drew Brees or a Manning or a Brady or a Roethlisberger?

No

But can Edwards be a serviceable starter for a year or two while we find a franchise quarterback? He could be

Edwards was coached under Turk Schonert, as Edwards' QB coach in his first season and later as OC/QB Coach.

Schonert can't hold a candle next to McDaniels, Holmgren or other successful quarterback groomers/QB coaches

Bill Walsh felt Edwards could be a good QB and this coming from someone who was instrumental in Montana and Steve Young's development. No, Edwards won't be a Montana or a Steve Young.

But with the right type of quarterback coach, Edwards can be resuscitated into a serviceable starter, until a long-term answer is found.

And bringing in journeyman backups like Kelly Holcomb and Ryan Fitzpatrick has got us nowhere in the past.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Give Edwards to Josh McDaniels or Mike Holmgren and you have a quarterback who can be a starter in this league. Will Edwards be a Drew Brees or a Manning or a Brady or a Roethlisberger?

No

But can Edwards be a serviceable starter for a year or two while we find a franchise quarterback? He could be

Edwards was coached under Turk Schonert, as Edwards' QB coach in his first season and later as OC/QB Coach.

Schonert can't hold a candle next toe McDaniels, Holmgren or other successful quarterback groomers/QB

Bill Walsh felt Edwards could be a good QB and this coming from someone who was instrumental in Montana and Steve Young's development. No, Edwards won't be a Montana or a Steve Young.

Give it up with the Bill Walsh endorsement, like it actually means something.

Walsh has been wrong on numerous QB's, and in fact did NOT like Montana coming out of college.

I am hoping the Rams select Bradford and the Skins grind it out with Campbell another season.

Pipe dream......I know.

I just don't like the idea of Bradford.....didn't play in cold weather in college. Lets not make the same mistake...again.

I believe I read somewhere that Clausen never played in a game under 40 degrees, so his designation as a "cold-weather QB," would be inaccurate. I think the whole concept of CWQB is way over rated. This weekend will be the only snow game this year, and only the second game played in "winter" conditions. I understand the playoffs would be wintry, but we would have to make the playoffs, and then be fortunate enough to have been an high enough seed to secure a home game.

This is for the umpteenth time...Kelly played his college ball in Miami. Yes he grew up near Pittsburgh, but how many high school football games are played in wintry conditions? The answer is almost none. To look for a QB based on where he played is foolish. You need to look at a QB that has the tools to perform in the weather. Strong arm, ability to improvise, be a strong leader and make quick decisive reads. That is the formula for a cold weather QB.

To quote Buddy Nix: "It is hard to throw the ball when you are lying on your back."

The number one priority is to put together an NFL quality line that can punish defenses in Buffalo weather.

In my opinion, Trent is not starting because Evans and Owens threw him under the bus. In my view, Evans never liked Edwards because of his man love for Losman. Owens did so because that is what TO does. Neither one of them (much like many on this board) were able to see the forest from the trees.

In the end, it will not make any difference who we have back there until we upgrade the line.

My hope is that we spend our resources (picks and dollars) on upgrading the offensive line and run defense; let TO walk (he does not want to be in Buffalo anyway) and spend that money somewhere else; build a team that is strong at the point of attack and can play in Buffalo weather.

I think you misread Evan's preference for Losman...his man-love was simply just a case of "A QB that can get the ball down field, and actually be a teammate, not a check down throwing, how's my hair, "I'm not a fan," too good for you loner, like Trent. I supported Trent, but he lost his starting job because he was thrown into the fryer and couldn't take it. That is not an unusual response, but that is why franchise QB's are not a common commodity. Trent game up in Nashville, and got benched. He had no faith in his teammates, and they lost faith in him. Evans and TO got tired of having AVP sending them streaking down the sidelines every freaking passing play, only to come back after a false-start, which a good QB probably would have spent some extra time with the OL, or a sack, or a 2 yard completion.

the only qb on the roster that will be here next year is fitzpatrick, and that will be as a 3rd stringer.......

Fitzpatrick is the only one that, I think, should DEFINITELY not be back. He can't throw. Period. To say that Brohm will not be back is insane. I have a suspicion that we have him because Nix said to go get him. The kid is going to surprise a lot of people. You can save that and roast me for it if it isn't true. I think that Brohm has a future in the NFL, and I hope it's with the Bills. That being said, a decent FA would be a welcome addition, but we do not need to draft a QB when we could get a physical player, which is in serious need on this roster.

Give it up with the Bill Walsh endorsement, like it actually means something.

Walsh has been wrong on numerous QB's, and in fact did NOT like Montana coming out of college.

To say Walsh was wrong on a bunch of QB's could easily be, "A lot of QB's that Walsh could have turned into stars were thrust onto losing teams, and expected to perform by coaches that lacked the ability to develop a QB in the NFL."

I know there are a list of examples...Carr, Harrington, etc, but look at their situations.

Montana was actually scouted and drafted by Walsh. Walsh saw him as the leader of his ideal offense. He drafted him, mentored him, and constructed the West-Coast Offense around him. He the, subsequently, won a bunch of Super Bowls, and lead teams that were relevant for the remainder of his career. I have read that he didn't like Montana on this board before, but when I read about it, all I could find was what I said above, I didn't make this up.

All of this being said, one of the 2-3 quintessential qualities in a QB is confidence. Once somebody has their confidence shattered, it is almost impossible to pick up the pieces and resurrect a career. Trent is broken.

Trent was the best QB. Now after repeated blows to the head and bad coaching he's damaged goods. Turn the page

PTR

This may well be accurate, only time will tell.

If a true OC with successful experience coaching up young players gets hired, then things may actually improve regarding the QB situation.

No

Schonert can't hold a candle next to McDaniels, Holmgren or other successful quarterback groomers/QB coaches

But with the right type of quarterback coach, Edwards can be resuscitated into a serviceable starter, until a long-term answer is found.

And bringing in journeyman backups like Kelly Holcomb and Ryan Fitzpatrick has got us nowhere in the past.

Montana didn't have the strongest arm either and flourished in that west coast offense, the same offense Edwards learned while at Stanford.

Another QB Walsh stated could be great comming out of college was Jake Plummer, he was drafted and played at Arizona under Marc Trestman.

The coaches and scheme's these young QB's are trained in the first few years they get in the league are crucial to their development and future. The Buffalo Bills have ruined their fair share recently.

We are done with Trent. He was Jauron and Levy's guy. New gm new coaching staff = new qb. Not to mention the fan revolt that would ignite. I like the thought of Jimmy Claussen...cold weather qb. Bring in CW as the OC. Trade back up to 1st rnd and grab a LT DT or LB, whichever they determine is the most pressing need.

See Buddy this is easy!!!!!

Fan revolt??? Grow up! Fans don't mean anything except money at the gate.

Trent was the best QB. Now after repeated blows to the head and bad coaching he's damaged goods. Turn the page

PTR

As many have said Trent is Tim Conley without skates, but Tim at least has talent. Our New GM Buddy should Nik Perry "fouls" choice of Fitz and see what Brohm can show Sunday.

dude the team has to move on, he has had 3 years, if it hasnt happened yet it will never happen.... time for a fresh start, bring in the new qb!

3 years with the same inept HC and the likes of Steve Fairchild, Schonert, and AVP. That coaching would have destroyed Steve Young. For Trent's sake I hope he leaves this laughing stock of a franchise. Watch him go to Carolina this offseason with there running game, a quality OL, and Steve Smith. He'll lead them to the playoffs while we will be watching yet another Fitz incompletion or Brohm sack.

3 years with the same inept HC and the likes of Steve Fairchild, Schonert, and AVP. That coaching would have destroyed Steve Young. For Trent's sake I hope he leaves this laughing stock of a franchise. Watch him go to Carolina this offseason with there running game, a quality OL, and Steve Smith. He'll lead them to the playoffs while we will be watching yet another Fitz incompletion or Brohm sack.

I could also see Edwards on Denver, as Chris Simms is not the answer as the backup to Kyle Orton.

Josh McDaniels is the type of quarterback-friendly coach that could give Edwards the coaching and grooming that he lacked from the mediocre trio of QB coaches / OCs he played for here that you mentioned

And quarterbacks can be resuscitated into serviceable quarterbacks or at least reliable backups. Look at what Shanahan did with Jake Plummer in Denver

Wrong! Trent was never any good, he was just different than what preceded him!

exactly- JP was not a Jauron QB- he took too many chances like a big ben or romo except they had players around them to allow them to play that style and succeed as a team and grow into the position

Trent was exactly what Jauron wanted- make no mistakes- dump it off- keep the game close and hope to win/lose close at the end and say we tried

Trent was able to do that for a while until teams figured him out

than he got his head crushed and he turned into Dakota Fanning like Michael Jackson turned into Diana Ross

I believe I read somewhere that Clausen never played in a game under 40 degrees, so his designation as a "cold-weather QB," would be inaccurate. I think the whole concept of CWQB is way over rated. This weekend will be the only snow game this year, and only the second game played in "winter" conditions. I understand the playoffs would be wintry, but we would have to make the playoffs, and then be fortunate enough to have been an high enough seed to secure a home game.

This is for the umpteenth time...Kelly played his college ball in Miami. Yes he grew up near Pittsburgh, but how many high school football games are played in wintry conditions? The answer is almost none. To look for a QB based on where he played is foolish. You need to look at a QB that has the tools to perform in the weather. Strong arm, ability to improvise, be a strong leader and make quick decisive reads. That is the formula for a cold weather QB.

I think you misread Evan's preference for Losman...his man-love was simply just a case of "A QB that can get the ball down field, and actually be a teammate, not a check down throwing, how's my hair, "I'm not a fan," too good for you loner, like Trent. I supported Trent, but he lost his starting job because he was thrown into the fryer and couldn't take it. That is not an unusual response, but that is why franchise QB's are not a common commodity. Trent game up in Nashville, and got benched. He had no faith in his teammates, and they lost faith in him. Evans and TO got tired of having AVP sending them streaking down the sidelines every freaking passing play, only to come back after a false-start, which a good QB probably would have spent some extra time with the OL, or a sack, or a 2 yard completion.

Fitzpatrick is the only one that, I think, should DEFINITELY not be back. He can't throw. Period. To say that Brohm will not be back is insane. I have a suspicion that we have him because Nix said to go get him. The kid is going to surprise a lot of people. You can save that and roast me for it if it isn't true. I think that Brohm has a future in the NFL, and I hope it's with the Bills. That being said, a decent FA would be a welcome addition, but we do not need to draft a QB when we could get a physical player, which is in serious need on this roster.

Thank you for further describing cold weather QB. Not many games played at -2...we know. Wind, LOWER temps, etc.....Jimbo grew up playing in the slop. He therfore learned at an early age how to handle the weather conditions. Then he goes to Miami and lights it up because its beautiful. That makes sense. What doesn't work is growing up somewhere in Cali then trying to succeed in the B-lo.