Edwards will start next year

I'm renewing. I love the Bills, for all their warts and challenges. And whoever the signal caller this team decides is the best they can place on the field, I will support him and the team.

I'm the same way.....but many people aren't.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Montana was actually scouted and drafted by Walsh. Walsh saw him as the leader of his ideal offense. He drafted him, mentored him, and constructed the West-Coast Offense around him. He the, subsequently, won a bunch of Super Bowls, and lead teams that were relevant for the remainder of his career. I have read that he didn't like Montana on this board before, but when I read about it, all I could find was what I said above, I didn't make this up.

Actually, Steve Fuller from Clemson was Walsh's favorite choice, and was scouting him when he "discovered" Dwight Clark. IIRC, Clark was the TE for Clemson, and was the guy running routes and catching the ball from Fuller during Walsh's visit.

He couldn't draft Fuller because the 49ers traded away their first round pick to the Bills (for OJ).

His second choice was Steve Dils, QB from Stanford.

Somebody within the 49ers organization convinced Walsh to draft Montana instead of Dils. (I have never been able to find any reference to who it was)

As for creating the offense "around" Montana, that is not really correct. He may have "tweaked" it (like any good coach should) to match Montana's abilities, but Walsh created and implemented his offense when he was an assistant with the Bengals.

I had the vast majority of this stuff linked in a post I did, but I believe the post was lost in the last great server crash a couple of years ago. And unfortunately, like an idiot, I did not save any of the links.