Ten Years Ago This Football Week

This is when the Flutie curse ends then! I think there is a 10 year maximum on curses by guys of Fluties stature.

The curse is over!

The curse is over!

The curse is over!

If we believe it's over it will end!!!!

Good move to put RJ in. Unlike Flutie, he did not fumble at the end of the playoff game at the goal line as Flutie did against the Dolphins. People seem to forget that one.

In the end, we have the same problems that we had ten years ago - bad offensive line. At least with that team, we also had a good defense.

Good move to put RJ in. Unlike Flutie, he did not fumble at the end of the playoff game at the goal line as Flutie did against the Dolphins. People seem to forget that one.

In the end, we have the same problems that we had ten years ago - bad offensive line. At least with that team, we also had a good defense.

correct. we also had a worse RB situation then we do now. oh super bowl winner antwain smith...

And I still have never once heard validation that RW made Wade put him in or that wade wanted Flutie. Its always been people gossiping saying "well ralph gave him money, etc etc." If someone has factual evidence or a link I'd love to see it. Lets also not forget RJ led us on a game winning drive and won us a playoff game.....until we decided to lose it.

I wonder what would've happened if the Bills didn't have Flutie on the roster when RJ was here. The video link in this thread basically says he wasn't comfortable being #1, that he wasn't close with everyone on the team -- but I distinctly remember reading many articles and posts about Flutie trying to take over the locker room and cause the discourse. Without Flutie, what would RJ have done differently? Maybe nothing, especially with the injuries... But who knows?

If I remember correctly, the game meant more to the Colts than the Bills. Johnson started in place of Flutie because the Bills traditionally rested the starters when the team had clinched either a playoff birth, or did not need to win any more games. Plus, Flutie's arm was getting tired. Johnson had a great game, and Ralph ordered Wade Philips to start Johnson. The thought process at the time was Johson had a cannon for an arm, was young, and "fit the mold for a qb in the NFL". I must admit that I was a Johnson supporter (even though I wanted Flutie to start againts the Titans) and my wife was a Flutie supporter. Boy was I wrong!

If I remember correctly, the game meant more to the Colts than the Bills. Johnson started in place of Flutie because the Bills traditionally rested the starters when the team had clinched either a playoff birth, or did not need to win any more games. Plus, Flutie's arm was getting tired. Johnson had a great game, and Ralph ordered Wade Philips to start Johnson. The thought process at the time was Johson had a cannon for an arm, was young, and "fit the mold for a qb in the NFL". I must admit that I was a Johnson supporter (even though I wanted Flutie to start againts the Titans) and my wife was a Flutie supporter. Boy was I wrong!

No you weren't. Johnson had that playoff game won. It wasn't HIS fault noone could STAY IN THEIR FRICKING LANES!!!

Oh, and it also wasn't his fault the refs BLEW an illegal foward lateral.

But you're wife wasn't right either. Flutie was atrocious in losses vs. Seattle, the Jets, Raiders and Giants, where his turnovers and inaccuracy (he was 28th that year in completion percentage) cost us a playoff home game, and probably the division.

Looking back, we were all like two kids arguing whether our ice cream needed asparagus or spinach. :rolleyes:

But you're wife wasn't right either. Flutie was atrocious in losses vs. Seattle, the Jets, Raiders and Giants, where his turnovers and inaccuracy (he was 28th that year in completion percentage) cost us a playoff home game, and probably the division.

Looking back, we were all like two kids arguing whether our ice cream needed asparagus or spinach. :rolleyes:

Word. I remember that Jets game, he was HORRIBLE.

but I distinctly remember reading many articles and posts about Flutie trying to take over the locker room and cause the discourse.

I never, ever believed this, and frankly, an awful lot of what I heard about the state of the locker room was from the geniuses on this message board that are so gosh darned smart about how a QB should look, and who knew how all-fired important QB rating is (seemingly not knowing that sacks aren't a part of the equation.....or conveniently ignoring it).

And the part about Wilson overruling Wade? Marcellus Wiley has stated this on ESPN about a thousand times. I think he probably knows something about this since he, Doug, and Wade all wound up together in SD.

Just watching that, boy could Rob ever through that ball.Cannon for an arm.but shiiiiiit for brains........ :rolleyes:

Yeah, **** for brains for sure. Isn't he still the most sacked passer in NFL history per pass attempts?

His stats were so important to him that he would rather take a sack than an incompletion.

In fact I distinctly remember 3 times where he was outside the tackle box and could have thrown the ball away with no intentional grounding penalty but each time he ran out of bounds...for a loss of yardage. Such a team player.

What a piece of crap Johnson was.

Yeah, **** for brains for sure. Isn't he still the most sacked passer in NFL history per pass attempts?

His stats were so important to him that he would rather take a sack than an incompletion.

In fact I distinctly remember 3 times where he was outside the tackle box and could have thrown the ball away with no intentional grounding penalty but each time he ran out of bounds...for a loss of yardage. Such a team player.

I was in the process of writing this same post. Darn you and your fast fingers!

Something I hadn't seen before, but apparently Ralph admitted he had a hand in the midget's benching

http://www.billsdaily.com/weekinreview/2001/apr1.html

actually, the reason why was that he was coached that way...as I recall, his college coach had told our new QBs coach in 2001 that he had drilled into him to try to make the big play....that, added into a lack of trust with his WRs, was Johnson's biggest downfall

actually, the reason why was that he was coached that way...as I recall, his college coach had told our new QBs coach in 2001 that he had drilled into him to try to make the big play....that, added into a lack of trust with his WRs, was Johnson's biggest downfall

Philster, the reason why what? The reason he would prefer to take a sack rather than throw the ball away? Or the reason that he would rather run out of bounds for a loss of yardage rather than legally intentionally ground the pass?

Nothing against you, but I'm not buying this excuse for his extreme suckitude. I later on remember his time in Tampa Bay and watching Gruden scream at him repeatedly for not throwing the ball away.

Avoiding negative yardage is something good quarterbacks do with ease. It's not that hard to do. Especially when the rules allow it.

A sack is a major drive killer. An incomplete pass? Not so much.