Profiling

Why is it not ok to profile?

Think about this:

If we had considered this bomber dude had been called out three times by his own father, was a radical mormon, had purchased a one way ticket with cash, brought no luggage and was already on a watch list could we have stopped this easily?

Before you say "profiling is bad and against our belief system" answer the following honestly:

You walk into a room and they ask you to pick out the person with the lowest IQ. They emphatically state that it is not a trick question. There is a million dollar prize for picking the right person. There are 30 people of varying shapes and sizes. One guy has a dirty baseball cap with a Maple Leaf on the front, very few teeth, appears drunk and says "eh" a lot. Are you going to pick him or the guy in a Bricks Brothers suit?

My point is this: Everybody profiles every day. Sometimes it is wrong, but sometimes it is right. Worrying about Mormon bombers is no different than realizing Canadians are dumb. Wishing something would go away does not make it go away.

Why is it not ok to profile?

Think about this:

If we had considered this bomber dude had been called out three times by his own father, was a radical mormon, had purchased a one way ticket with cash, brought no luggage and was already on a watch list could we have stopped this easily?

Before you say "profiling is bad and against our belief system" answer the following honestly:

You walk into a room and they ask you to pick out the person with the lowest IQ. They emphatically state that it is not a trick question. There is a million dollar prize for picking the right person. There are 30 people of varying shapes and sizes. One guy has a dirty baseball cap with a Maple Leaf on the front, very few teeth, appears drunk and says "eh" a lot. Are you going to pick him or the guy in a Bricks Brothers suit?

My point is this: Everybody profiles every day. Sometimes it is wrong, but sometimes it is right. Worrying about Mormon bombers is no different than realizing Canadians are dumb. Wishing something would go away does not make it go away.

I think I hired them to put my fireplace in, so I'm disqualified.

My point is this: Everybody profiles every day. Sometimes it is wrong, but sometimes it is right. Worrying about Mormon ombers is no different than realizing Canadians are dumb. Wishing something would go away does not make it go away.

You're right and I must admit to profiling. I would never hire a fat Italian plumber with a mustache for fear he'll eat some mushrooms, start jumping around, and take all my coins

You're right and I must admit to profiling. I would never hire a fat Italian plumber with a mustache for fear he'll eat some mushrooms and start jumping around all over the place looking for a princess

Me too. Every time Dib posts a new avatar, I scrutinize her profile till I stop droolin'.

I saw some ACLU schmuck on TV yesterday saying there is no accurate profile for terrorists because how would you explain Timothy McVeigh?

Seriously? There MUST be tens of thousands of home-grown hick terrorists running around trying to kill Americans at every opportunity.

Let's randomly search grandma and grandpa but let Osama get on the plane because we don't want to be accused of profiling.

With incompetent Obama in the White House do you think it really matters?

I mean, you DO realize that the next time terrorists strike they WILL be successful, don't you!

We (only) lucked out on Christmas. :rolleyes:

Because it wouldn't have happened with McCain, Nader or Mike Huckabee. Sorry, but this is part of living in the real world, not fantasy land.

Because it wouldn't have happened with McCain, Nader or Mike Huckabee. Sorry, but this is part of living in the real world, not fantasy land.

So other candidates don't bring different views on policy, which don't get communicated to the agencies charged with carrying them out by the political appointees?

Or are you saying that on the question of the appropriateness of profiling, all candidates think alike?

Does Janet Napoleatano (however she spells it) make you feel safe? She makes you feel confident that under her leadership Homeland Security will improve? You yourself as President would have looked at all the possible candidates for the job and would have picked her?

Does Janet Napoleatano (however she spells it) make you feel safe? She makes you feel confident that under her leadership Homeland Security will improve? You yourself as President would have looked at all the possible candidates for the job and would have picked her?

I wonder at just what point in the interview process that he said to himself, "Yep! She's the one I want to hire."