Anyone fired a machine gun before?

Fezmid

I've never fired a gun in my life, but it's something I've talked about wanting to do for some time. Well, for Christmas my wife signed us up for hand gun lessons - it's a 4 hour class on handguns, with some time on a firing range as well - should be interesting and I'm really looking forward to it!

The place we're going also offers machine gun lessons -- and if we like the handguns, we can get a 1 hour one-on-one class on machine guns and get some time firing those as well. Sounds like it could be fun, although a bit more intimidating. It's $60 for an hour, including rental - but ammo is additional, and I have no idea how much a bullet costs -- but I can imagine it's not cheap, especially when with a fully automatic weapon.

Just curious who else has done something like this, and if it's a good time. :wallbash:

I've never fired a gun in my life, but it's something I've talked about wanting to do for some time. Well, for Christmas my wife signed us up for hand gun lessons - it's a 4 hour class on handguns, with some time on a firing range as well - should be interesting and I'm really looking forward to it!

The place we're going also offers machine gun lessons -- and if we like the handguns, we can get a 1 hour one-on-one class on machine guns and get some time firing those as well. Sounds like it could be fun, although a bit more intimidating. It's $60 for an hour, including rental - but ammo is additional, and I have no idea how much a bullet costs -- but I can imagine it's not cheap, especially when with a fully automatic weapon.

Just curious who else has done something like this, and if it's a good time. :wallbash:

I've used almost all the major weapons systems the Army employed in my time. M-16, M-60, TOW, Claymore, Hand Grenade.

Nothing is more fun than firing a belt-fed machine gun. NOTHING. Loud, hot and it jars your shoulder. Lots of fun.

I reload so I don't keep close track of what factory ammo costs but I think that .223/5.56 ammo [i am assuming that's what the caliber of the"machine gun" you will be renting will be]is close to 50 cents a shot.

Who cares, put the selector switch on "full"and have a blast :wallbash:

Ammunition used to be cheap but since President Obama was elected the demand has far exceeded the supply so it's friggin' outrageous now. You used to be able to buy .223 for less than $200/1000 rounds but I'm sure it's at least double that now.

For people who haven't done it, it's worth the splurge one time - though it's much better to pound an inanimate object with one than a paper target. I doubt you'll get that option in that environment.

Why the hand gun lessons ? Neighborhood going down hill?

I believe you have to take the class before you can go to the range. Even if that weren't true, I'd want the class so I don't do something stupid since I've never been around guns before. :wacko:

Here's the machine guns you can rent:

http://www.billsgs.com/modules.php?set_alb...=view_album.php

I was looking at the AK47, because it's the only name I recognize.... Any suggestions? (notice that there's two pages of images :) ).

Glad to hear it's fun -- I figured it would be! Now to carve out time in our schedules to go. :)

I believe you have to take the class before you can go to the range. Even if that weren't true, I'd want the class so I don't do something stupid since I've never been around guns before. :)

I was looking at the AK47, because it's the only name I recognize.... Any suggestions? (notice that there's two pages of images :) ).

Glad to hear it's fun -- I figured it would be! Now to carve out time in our schedules to go. :)

I've fired the SAW 249 while in the Army and my buddy has the bushmaster xm15 that I've used. Out of your choices I'd go with the SAW 249, they call it the SAW for a reason :wacko:

I believe you have to take the class before you can go to the range. Even if that weren't true, I'd want the class so I don't do something stupid since I've never been around guns before. :)

Fez, that list has a few more you recognize. How about the Tommie gun or Uzi? I'd definately go for the Tommie gun first and then maybe the AK47. I've fired an AK47 alot of times and it's always fun. Sounds pretty cool, enjoy! :wacko:

I doubt he's looking for stopping power, he's shooting at paper targets, I happen to think the SAW is fun to fire... JMO

Paper targets or not, wouldn't you want to shoot something with a little more punch? IDK, I think some of the other choices are more unique and enjoyable.