Cincinnati steals another coach

PushthePile

Where is the outrage? This is the second time Cincy has done this to Central Michigan. Butch Jones has taken the job at Cincy and is not going to be present for Central Michigans bowl game. Sounds familiar right?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news...p&type=lgns

I do feel bad for the kids and it's a shame that college football has made this the norm. I do find the double standard amusing though.

That's why I always loved how Michigan handled their coaching situation back in 1989. When basketball coach Bill Frieder decided to leave and take over the Arizona State job @ season's end, the school's athletic director, the late Bo Schembechler, fired 'em and said he wanted, "a Michigan man" coaching the team in the NCAA tournament that year. Michigan promoted Steve Fisher to the head job, and all the Wolverines did that year was win the national title (damn you, Glen Rice for what you did to my Tar Heels that year!!). Classic.

That's why I always loved how Michigan handled their coaching situation back in 1989. When basketball coach Bill Frieder decided to leave and take over the Arizona State job @ season's end, the school's athletic director, the late Bo Schembechler, fired 'em and said he wanted, "a Michigan man" coaching the team in the NCAA tournament that year. Michigan promoted Steve Fisher to the head job, and all the Wolverines did that year was win the national title (damn you, Glen Rice for what you did to my Tar Heels that year!!). Classic.

Hear, hear.

This was a classic move by Bo. Frieder wanted to stay and coach the team through the tournament and Bo told him to go scratch. This is probably why you see a lot of these coaches taking the new job and bolting before their old team's bowl game. Because...as we all know...these bowl games don't mean a damn thing except for the money.

Where is the outrage? This is the second time Cincy has done this to Central Michigan. Butch Jones has taken the job at Cincy and is not going to be present for Central Michigans bowl game. Sounds familiar right?

I do feel bad for the kids and it's a shame that college football has made this the norm. I do find the double standard amusing though.

Let's be honest the NCAA is a joke. Think about all the money they make off of the "students athletes", and it starts with the NCAA clearing house, $75.00 just to apply to a school so you can possible play a sport. From there we can talk about the atheletes that cannot get a job to pay for over priced books, the BCS, Notre Dame, and its own TV contract, schools stealing coaches, etc etc. Granted football and basketball help pay for the non-revenue sports, but the NCAA really needs to clean up its act when it comes to Football and the division 1 championship series. Oh yeah it is still Division 1 single A to me. Another example of the NCAA being a joke....Merry Christmas and happy New Year

You need to get over the "Steal" crap, that is the system. To "Steal" something is to take it illegally or against the rules, this is just how the system is designed. Coaches want to move up for more prestigious positions and bigger paychecks just like anyone else. So if the Bills sign another team's Offensive or Defensive Coordinator as their new HC are they stealing him? Obviously they are under your theory. There is nothing "Stealing" about it and the only one who should be embarrassed is you-for starting this retarded post, which pops up every time a coach switches schools. Please, get over it.

You need to get over the "Steal" crap, that is the system. To "Steal" something is to take it illegally or against the rules, this is just how the system is designed. Coaches want to move up for more prestigious positions and bigger paychecks just like anyone else. So if the Bills sign another team's Offensive or Defensive Coordinator as their new HC are they stealing him? Obviously they are under your theory. There is nothing "Stealing" about it and the only one who should be embarrassed is you-for starting this retarded post, which pops up every time a coach switches schools. Please, get over it.

It's called sarcasm you moron. Don't you see the correlation to Brian Kelly and ND?

Good article by the Cincinnati Enquirer's Paul Daugherty in today's paper...

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2009121...tions+for+Jones

I am not the biggest college sports fan (I like a good college football game, but don't follow every team every season), because I kind of feel like colllege sports are not really all that competitive, about 90% of the time. Maybe I am missing something obvious ( I am sure someone will be happy to tell me if I am), but why can't they just make it a rule that any college team, cannot negotiate with any currently employed coach, before February 1st. They always harp on the sanctity of education, honor and all. In many cases, I am sure, coaches moving on doesn't mean that much to players, fans or administrators. But there does seem to be something very unsatisfying about a team playing a season, only to lose their coach for their "biggest" game of the season. They have rules for everything else, time restrictions for anything involving players, why not something for coaches?

I am not the biggest college sports fan (I like a good college football game, but don't follow every team every season), because I kind of feel like colllege sports are not really all that competitive, about 90% of the time. Maybe I am missing something obvious ( I am sure someone will be happy to tell me if I am), but why can't they just make it a rule that any college team, cannot negotiate with any currently employed coach, before February 1st. They always harp on the sanctity of education, honor and all. In many cases, I am sure, coaches moving on doesn't mean that much to players, fans or administrators. But there does seem to be something very unsatisfying about a team playing a season, only to lose their coach for their "biggest" game of the season. They have rules for everything else, time restrictions for anything involving players, why not something for coaches?

I read something a few weeks about a "National Signing Day" or some such, for high school prospects. Feb. 3rd comes to mind. I don't know why the NCAA can't/won't push that back? - the idea, as I have also read, being that getting a new coach on board early is to go and work the deals - dunno.

Yeah Cinci,

The thing with college is, the letter of intent day is in march or feb of next year. While you're with the old team in January for instance at a bowl, the other coaches are poaching your recruits so you pretty much have to leave a team high and dry.

In college bball the day is already passed, so if you want to leave you inherit the previous seasons' recruits without a hitch.

Yeah Cinci,

The thing with college is, the letter of intent day is in march or feb of next year. While you're with the old team in January for instance at a bowl, the other coaches are poaching your recruits so you pretty much have to leave a team high and dry.

In college bball the day is already passed, so if you want to leave you inherit the previous seasons' recruits without a hitch.

Thanks, LM - That's the impression re recruiting that I got.

This was your first post in the thread. If you had put forth any effort to read the original post you would have realized i agree with you. Instead you took the low road and went off for no reason.

Just a thought, does anyone understand that the student atheletes are getting a FREE education. It is the ticket to the rest of their lives, consider that the top 2% of college atheletes make it to the pros and have an average career, the other 98% of student atheletes are getting their education for either nothing or virtually nothing other than the hard work it takes to be a student athelete. Im sure their are plenty of people, myself included, who wouldve loved to have a full ride to a reputable D-1 school for some sport. The NCAA and schools make money on their sports, but they also provide for the atheletes (room, board, meals, tutors, tuition, books) not to mention a degree at the end of it all. Im so sick of people trying to make the schools out to be the bad guys they give these kids the chance to get a free college diploma, and the possibilitiy of getting to the pros, doesnt sound that bad.