The "It's Hard to win in this League" quote

stevestojan

I hear this quote constantly and I just can't find where he said it. After searching, I found one article where Chris Kelsay said it:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/...3618_recap.html

"'Never once on the sidelines was there any doubt that we were going to win the game,'' Bills defensive end Chris Kelsay said. ''Regardless if it's an ugly win over not, it's hard to win in this league.''

Maybe I'm just out of the loop and the "it's hard to win in this league" quotes were referring to this Kelsay quote and blaming Dick for putting him in that mindset.

Otherwise, I'm beered up and confused.

I thought the quote was "I invented the internet" Who cares, he's gone.

But he might come back in a few years with a manifesto about how the world will end if people don't listen to (and pay for) his advice on how to coach football.

Pick a DJ press conference. Any press conference. You'll have the evidence you need...

I'd say pick any pre season/training camp press conference. I don't think he had said it very often during the season, but more like when talking about whatever changes he was trying to make to the team, he would just throw it out there.

There is something remarkable about how when a misquote (if this is a misquote) becomes so representative of people's feelings about a person, it becomes more relevant than anything true. Or sometimes, not even a misquote: a parody will suffice. Sarah Palin never said "I can see Russia from my house," but Tina Fey's line sort of got to the heart of what people thought she was like. Ditto Al Gore's "I invented the internet." He didn't say it - but it was a pithy version of his bad habit of exaggerating his accomplishments after eight years of VP obscurity. Or Gerald Ford's falling down, or, I guess, Dick Jauron's line. He said a lot of stuff like that, so if he didn't say the actual line, it's what people think he meant.

I'm not saying this is good. Anyone see "The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance?" When the legend becomes fact, print the legend. People's sense of journalists wasn't any better 50 years ago.

I thought it was at his very first press conference when he was introduced as head coach of the Bills. It was along the lines of: "I want to build a winning team here in Buffalo but we have a lot of work to do...it's hard to win in the NFL."

The quote itself was taken out of context but represented him so well that it became his mantra.

There is something remarkable about how when a misquote (if this is a misquote) becomes so representative of people's feelings about a person, it becomes more relevant than anything true. Or sometimes, not even a misquote: a parody will suffice. Sarah Palin never said "I can see Russia from my house," but Tina Fey's line sort of got to the heart of what people thought she was like. Ditto Al Gore's "I invented the internet." He didn't say it - but it was a pithy version of his bad habit of exaggerating his accomplishments after eight years of VP obscurity. Or Gerald Ford's falling down, or, I guess, Dick Jauron's line. He said a lot of stuff like that, so if he didn't say the actual line, it's what people think he meant.

I'm not saying this is good. Anyone see "The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance?" When the legend becomes fact, print the legend. People's sense of journalists wasn't any better 50 years ago.

Actually, Bill Billacheat said it exactly after they won their home opener this year against The Bills - at 3min:55sec into the video. The full transcript is there if you can't stand to listen to him for that long.

"Q: Is this one of the wins you are really proud of for your team?

BB: Look, I'm proud of every win. I'm proud of every win. It's hard to win in this league. Every team's got good coaches, they got good players, they work hard, they practice hard and if you're not ready to play you won't win in this league."

Here's Al Gore's statement to Wolf Blitzer, "

." - at 49 seconds in to his explanation of why he should be his party's nominee for POTUS.

Here's what Governor Palin said,

"They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska."

Tina Fey said, "I can see Russia from my house."