Chad Pennington and Derrick Johnson

billsfan89

Meadowlands was what, 4 or 5 years ago? And the reason they let him go was because of his ball velocity and arm strength. He's also on his what, 4th or 5th upper body/shoulder injury? I believe there is talk that he might not even be able to come back to play in the NFL. Understand what you are going for, but don't have the right guy. Especially with a burner like Lee Evans. And to be honest, I'm sick of watching dinking and dunking Buffalo Bills football....hasn't really gone all that well.

When have you watched dinking and dunking in buffalo. I would love to watch dinking and dunking in buffalo. What I see of our offens is picking and punting.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 playoff appearances was Pennington Vick had 2 or 3. And you continue to ignore Vicks accuracy issues and the fact that he hasn't started FOR 4 years. Also Vick has Started only in Atlanta a dome and in a hot weather division. Pennington is 33 But his skill set is not as prone to decline at that age.

My friend you are still ignoring the fact that Penny is easy to defend .You for get that Vick played and singlehandly beat Bret Farve at home for Division championship in January.We can go on and on the fact is Penny is done. You did your argument a disservice when you said that Penny age is not prone to decline at that age ......his lack of arm-strength for Buffalo winter ,no Offensive line and inability to strech a high school defense leave your argument HOLLOW AT BEST. If you are a BILLS fan (I believe that you are) just give Vick all the support you can because you and I want the same thing which is a good BILLS football product............People he will be A BILL so get over it .....................there is nothing better out there not Broehm, Orton , Culpepper, I mean no one .....

Actually he is not a FA. He signed a 2 year deal with the Eagles. Unless they cut him of course. Here's my list of FA QBs I'd take in order: Kyle Orton, Chad Pennington (if healthy), Tavaris Jackson, Jeff Garcia, Duante Culpepper, Charlie Batch. Except for Kyle, all stopgaps, but I'm OK with that.

They already said that they will cut him ......they will not have a 5 mill player not playing with Big Mac there

Actually he is not a FA. He signed a 2 year deal with the Eagles. Unless they cut him of course. Here's my list of FA QBs I'd take in order: Kyle Orton, Chad Pennington (if healthy), Tavaris Jackson, Jeff Garcia, Duante Culpepper, Charlie Batch. Except for Kyle, all stopgaps, but I'm OK with that.

He wll be cut so its just the same as FA in my book ..........................If you are fine with that list........ Vick will have no problem knocking that weak group of QB prospects out that you have in order (Thank God Bills not looking at your weak list what a JOKE)

Pass on Jackson, Garcia is going to be 40, Culpepper is a backup, so is Batch, and Orton won't hit the market. Pennington (if healthy) is our best option on the free agency market.

You might want to rethink Jackson. Last year in 9 games of which he only started 5, he threw 9 TDs and 2 Ints with QB rating of 95.4. He's gotten better year after year and after studying under Saint Brett this year. I don't know, I think he might be alright.

If healthy, I'd love to see Chad in a Bills suit as the opening day starter in 2010. But, that's a big if. As far as Charlie Batch and Culpepper being backups, sometimes those long time backups when given a chance after studying football for years and years can work wonders. Remember Rich Gannon?

My friend you are still ignoring the fact that Penny is easy to defend .You for get that Vick played and singlehandly beat Bret Farve at home for Division championship in January.We can go on and on the fact is Penny is done. You did your argument a disservice when you said that Penny age is not prone to decline at that age ......his lack of arm-strength for Buffalo winter ,no Offensive line and inability to strech a high school defense leave your argument HOLLOW AT BEST. If you are a BILLS fan (I believe that you are) just give Vick all the support you can because you and I want the same thing which is a good BILLS football product............People he will be A BILL so get over it .....................there is nothing better out there not Broehm, Orton , Culpepper, I mean no one .....

VICK HASN'T STARTED IN 4 YEARS. Vick lacks accuracy even during his prime let alone being 4 years removed from the league. Vick beat Favre at home but that was 7 years ago what Vick is now is a guy who is slowly relearning his position at the age of 30. Pennington is not perfect he has concerns thats why he is going to be available BUT he is a professional QB not a project who is 30.

If we are going to sign Vick why not just start Brohm or draft a guy in round 1 or 2. By the time we rebuild Vick (Which is going to take a year probably 2) he will be 31-32 and his skillset is prone to quick decline. At least if we start a young pick or Brohm by the time he would be good (If ever) will be in their mid 20's.

Pennington can't stretch a D BUT he can play smart and keep you in games. And unlike Captain Check Down Pennington throws well 15-30 yards down the middle of the field and gets the ball into the hands of his playmakers who can make big plays (Lee Evans would be a lot better with Pennington).

ALSO Pennington has value as a teacher. IF we draft a guy in round one or two Pennington can teach the guy how to play in the NFL. A role Vick won't be good at (In fact the guy needs a teacher). You can rag on Pennington all you want but the guy is a professional who will stabilize this team and can give young QB's a great teacher. Pennington is accurate, doesn't turn the ball over, has won this division twice, played in the playoffs 5 times, took the Jets to within 2 missed field goals of the AFC title game, and has played in the cold weather outdoors all of his career (Even in college).

Vick isn't going to be in Buffalo. He is a hot weather QB (One game in Green Bay 7 years ago doesn't mean he can be consistently good in cold weather) who hasn't started for 4 years and even in his prime had accuracy issues. Pennington has injury issues and arm strength issues but out of all the free agent options available he is the best.

You might want to rethink Jackson. Last year in 9 games of which he only started 5, he threw 9 TDs and 2 Ints with QB rating of 95.4. He's gotten better year after year and after studying under Saint Brett this year. I don't know, I think he might be alright.

If healthy, I'd love to see Chad in a Bills suit as the opening day starter in 2010. But, that's a big if. As far as Charlie Batch and Culpepper being backups, sometimes those long time backups when given a chance after studying football for years and years can work wonders. Remember Rich Gannon?

No way I have seen Tavaris Jackson bounce a pass off the ground to a wide open wide receiver 3 yards away with absolutely no pressure on him. My dad is a Vikings fan and saw Jackson almost every game and knew the guy was terrible. He only finished strong because the Vikes took the ball away from him and just asked him to manage games and put the ball in the hands of AP.

Jackson is a guy who needs a great supporting cast to succeed and Buffalo doesn't have the kind of cast the Vikes had. Culpepper and Batch are backups at this point and the odds of them having a late career Renaissance is slim. I think Culpepper has a chance to be a Rich Gannon type but he needs a good situation to do that. Pennington is the exact kind of QB that wins in less then stellar situations (Fins last year won a lot by playing tight and not turning the ball over).

Personally, I would like to see Jason Campbell brought in. He is an absolutely horrible fir in Washington's offense, but I think he could flourish in an offense where he can throw downfield more. I would like to see him, a fullback and 2-3 potential OL starters brought in. Aside from that, we need serious defensive help, specifically on the line.

Defenses aren't afraid of Vick throwing the Ball. Teams don't fear guys who are inaccurate and careless with the ball. The Vick won that game against Green Bay was what 7 years ago. Vick next year will be an athletic QB whose skills will be eroding thanks to his age (Past the 30 years old mark) and he has had a big two year absence in his career AND in his come back tour he hasn't played any serious snaps.

So rather then take a guy with 5 playoff appearances, a guy who has played in cold weather, won this division multiple times, and is an accurate passer you want a guy with accuracy issues, a guy who hasn't had meaningful playing time in over three seasons, a guy who hasn't had a whole lot of experience in cold weather, and a guy who best skill set (His legs) are only prone to decline due to his age.

Give me the savvy professional in Chad Pennington. Yes there are the injuries BUT he has been discounted more then once in his career and knows how to battle back from injuries. Yeah he struggles to get the ball out quick past the 25 yard mark BUT he does win when healthy and can put guys in positions to make plays.

Heck Bledsoe was savy but he cant get a way from this Line ....You keep saying if Penny is this if Penny is That ....the fact is Defenses dont fear him . I felt very comfy(as a Bills fan) when we faced Chad because I KNOW WE CAN DEFEND HIM EASILY.I will take my chances on what Defenses fear not a good ole guy.....we have enough Schoebels,Kelsays ,Dennys on the team . I Admire your support for PENNY (even hurt you try to defend him thats cool thats what you look for ).But have that same love for the BIlls because he (VICK)will be the QB due whats not out there and then we can focus on the LINES

No way I have seen Tavaris Jackson bounce a pass off the ground to a wide open wide receiver 3 yards away with absolutely no pressure on him. My dad is a Vikings fan and saw Jackson almost every game and knew the guy was terrible. He only finished strong because the Vikes took the ball away from him and just asked him to manage games and put the ball in the hands of AP.

Jackson is a guy who needs a great supporting cast to succeed and Buffalo doesn't have the kind of cast the Vikes had. Culpepper and Batch are backups at this point and the odds of them having a late career Renaissance is slim. I think Culpepper has a chance to be a Rich Gannon type but he needs a good situation to do that. Pennington is the exact kind of QB that wins in less then stellar situations (Fins last year won a lot by playing tight and not turning the ball over).

You do realize they had both a decent Line and a heck of a running combo ......Penny couldnt do crap they wouldnt have a come up with wildcat if he was a decent QB on his own ........................stop with the Penny love......lol.......Defense respect fear and Penny provides none of that

Heck Bledsoe was savy but he cant get a way from this Line ....You keep saying if Penny is this if Penny is That ....the fact is Defenses dont fear him . I felt very comfy(as a Bills fan) when we faced Chad because I KNOW WE CAN DEFEND HIM EASILY.I will take my chances on what Defenses fear not a good ole guy.....we have enough Schoebels,Kelsays ,Dennys on the team . I Admire your support for PENNY (even hurt you try to defend him thats cool thats what you look for ).But have that same love for the BIlls because he (VICK)will be the QB due whats not out there and then we can focus on the LINES

Didn't Chad Pennington have a winning record against us? Pennington puts up the W's ; Vick 4 years older and 4 years removed from starting isn't the answer. DEFENSES DON'T FEAR VICK ANYMORE and I think thats because he is 4 years removed from playing and not a great passer.

Build the lines and let Pennington man the fort for one year. Vick is a 30 year old washed up project. Pennington provides a experienced winner who can teach a young QB.