LOST...Season 6

duey

For those that want to get nostalgic...TBD's first thread on Lost (12/2004):

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...c=12926&hl=

EDIT - might not be the "first", but the oldest one I could find. Funny to read some of the comments

Wow...that's great! We were all so clueless...or at least I was. I love how everyone referred to the crash as a Rosen. :worthy:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have liked to know why MIB turned into smokey for being thrown into the cave, but no one else was affected by it (save for the skeletons at the bottom).

It may have had something to do with MIB just having killed the protector of the island (and the woman who raised him)...I don't think Desmond or Jack were on that level of evil. And don't forget...it wasn't just that they were in the cave...you had to actually go over the waterfall into the light cork pit.

That was because when the MIB went into the light, he was sent there by Jacob -- who, according to his mother's godly rules, was not allowed to kill him. Thus, the light did the only thing it could do: make him Smokey. That way he wasn't dead, but he wasn't "alive" either. He was trapped in an eternal state of flux.

Read your post after I posted mine...good point...and I have to concede because your da man in da know. :worthy:

No Mr. Eko in the finale?

There's another wormhole that goes unexplained. He was a huge part of season three if I recall.

FYI...Eko was invited back, but wanted too much money to return this season.

http://www.digitalspy.com/cult/s10/lost/ne...inale-spot.html

Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje reportedly turned down the chance to appear in the series finale of Lost.

According to E! Online, the actor was asked to reprise his role as Mr Eko in one scene of the episode.

However, Lost and ABC sources have now claimed that Akinnuoye-Agbaje wanted a fee five times higher than the one he was offered and negotiations broke down.

Akinnuoye-Agbaje was reportedly originally intended to appear on the show for four seasons but was released from his contract when he decided to leave the programme.

....and exactly what is Mr. Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje doing with himself these days? Tearing up the movie & TV industry?

LOL According to IMDB ( http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0015382/ ) he didn't do a damn thing for three years after he was on Lost. Now he's involved in a few movies.

I remember hearing that he wanted off the show after he was killed by smokey ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BurUNDYqirc ). I loved his character and was really bummed when he died. That scene that I posted the link for is one of my favorites.

Funny video, regarding the unanswered questions.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1936291

While I agree that the show didn't NEED to answer every last detail to be excellent, you have to wonder why the writers included so many sub-plots and mysteries that were left unaddressed.

Ah...that's great! Hey...when you have six years of writing and literally hundreds of different characters to deal with, a few details are sure to slip by. :worthy:

I think this is exactly why even though I very recently had many of the same issues that John Adams has today, this last episode was so beautifully done and it took me to a place where, just like seeing a classmate after 20 years, the circumstances just didn't matter. The shared bond was a beautiful thing, and when you reunite with someone after so long, it's a very emotional thing.

It was pretty clear that this finale wasn't some immediate segue from their lives on the island to the afterlife. For at least most of them, A LONG DAMN TIME had passed from the initial crash of the oceanic flight until the church reunion. When that happened, it's almost like it made the circumstances of the island irrelevant, or at least secondary, to their "awakenings" and the realization that it was the bond they established through the shared experience of the last six years (our time) that mattered most.

If your afterlife consists of being with people on your Facebook page, I'm not sure I want to go there.

As a small plaque we have reads, "HEAVEN is where you meet all the dogs you ever loved." Re-watching last night, I full-on cried when Vincent cuddled up with Jack.

Kate said, meeting with Jack outside the concert tents, "I have missed you so much." There was some part of me that questioned whether the Ajira plane actually got off the island/island bubble, but that confirmed they did. Sawyer, Kate, Miles, Richard, Lapidus, and Claire (the Ajira Six?) lived out their mortal lives off-island. In my mind, Claire raised Aaron, as she was supposed to; Kate and Sawyer's relationship grew albeit slowly and respectfully of Juliet and Jack; Richard would find Isabella's grave and try to live the rest of his life (however it happened wrt the aging process either un-pausing or if it caught up rather fast); I imagine Lapidus maxing on a beach with sunshine and margaritas. But Miles, I'm not sure. He stops exhorting people, maybe he starts using his gift more responsibly... if he still has his gift. Could the opening of the Light plug have taken it back in the same way it made FLocke mortal?

Also, thinking back to Richard Malkin and his daughter. Just wondering, now that we know what we know, if he experienced some small bits of "Island Enlightenment" when he touched Claire. For all of his bum's-rush explanation to Eko that he was a fraud, he really did see something.

Been away for about a day, catching up on some sleep and 3 pages sprung up! Awesome post, tgregg. We've really appreciated your input, as much as you were allowed.

LOL According to IMDB ( http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0015382/ ) he didn't do a damn thing for three years after he was on Lost. Now he's involved in a few movies.

I remember hearing that he wanted off the show after he was killed by smokey ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BurUNDYqirc ). I loved his character and was really bummed when he died. That scene that I posted the link for is one of my favorites.

IIRC, he asked to leave the show very shortly after getting a DUI in Hawai'i and went back to the UK. I guess whatever happened really soured him.

IIRC, he asked to leave the show very shortly after getting a DUI in Hawai'i and went back to the UK. I guess whatever happened really soured him.

Wow...wasn't aware that he had a DUI out there too. With Libby and Ana Lucia each picking up one of those as well, it makes one wonder what the environment was that might have caused it. Like the starts said in the warm up show the other night, conditions at times were pretty brutal. I guess some people might just blow off some steam a bit too enthusiastically.

Maybe tgregg can shed some light on this...how dealing with situations as this hampered the flow of the show. We all had heard about Libby and Ana being killed off because of the legal issues. And what of Paulo and Nikki...at what point did the writters realize that they guys weren't going anywhere and had to be dealt with?

Also thinking about Dave.... It was like his mindset was in the Sideways world, had figured out the sideways world... but was metaphysically in the real world.

Also, the skeletons in the Light cavern. I wonder why people who B word about the Mother story aren't bitching that we don't get these skeleton's story. Just goes to show that the deeper you try to delve into the past (or the future) the murkier/more Impressionistic your answers will be. We are given Jack's story, full-circle. The other stories of these other bones aren't in the cards for us. It should be enough to know from this that this struggle has been going on from the start of time, and will continue until the end of time.

Doc Jensen's LOST Finale recap, Part I: And in the End....

The preservation of The Island and the promise that it lives in our imaginations under the stewardship of big-hearted Hurley and his humble Number 2, Benjamin Linus. Under their regime, a new era of the soul awaits mankind, which I think was one of the big points of it all: Let us rediscover and reinvent spirituality for a new generation that finds it's both too easy to fall for dubious ideas and too hard to believe in anything.

Oh, wow! Deep.

Opinions also seem to be changing as emotion fades and brains take over. Was the finale profound or mawkish? What was more important: the journey or the destination? Did the Greater Point To It All effectively render all the unanswered questions of the series moot, or does an ironic allegory for ''letting go'' and ''life is filled with loose ends and dangling plot threads'' not absolve a story from, you know, actually resolving all its gosh darn storylines?

I think fans and haters — and fans and fans-until-last-night — will be debating this for a while. NEWSFLASH! The argument will never be settled. I expect in the days to come, as I find myself in conversations with people who were disappointed, I will be asked to mount a defense of the series. I will be put on the spot to show them why it all ''made sense,'' and failing that, prove them that the show really did have a ''Greater Point To It All.'' But what is certain is that I will convince them of nothing. I also think it would be wrong and even disrespectful of me to try. Your experience of Lost is your experience of Lost, and it is valid. I presume you are intelligent people who are not blinded by personal bias. I am sorry you feel let down. But I do not share your perspective. Does that mean we can't ride the same church bus to heaven together? I hope not.

Even the Gods (read: Jacob) and Monsters (read: Smokey) and mythic heroes (read: Richard Alpert) revealed themselves to be just like you or me, give or take some smoke and some superpowers. It's funny that so many people cynically B word about Lost not having ''a master plan'' — the Lost story is all about the folly of ''master plans.'' Anyone who has ever had a master plan on this show has failed catastrophically. Mother. Jacob. The Man In Black. Ben. Charles Widmore. Jack. Sawyer. The best we can do is live our lives with enlightened improvisation — to be so self-aware and fearless that we can live fully in the present and redeem our every moment and every human connection.

He found a carrot-shaped obelisk jammed into a hole at the bottom of a reflecting pool. Radiant energy emanating from below the Earth (or just existing naturally in the cave? I couldn't tell) filled the cavern and formed a cone around the plug. The light should have ripped the smokey soul out of his body. But Desmond, uniquely immune to fantasy story mystical hoo-ha, remained intact as an integrated spiritual/material unit. He yanked on the stone. The warm and buttery radiance faded. The unsealed chasm glowed with wine-red anger. Desmond's face went uh-oh. It was as if Father Failsafe had turned off heaven and unleashed hell; it was as if he had shut down the spiritual operating system of reality. As a consequence, an old curse lost its power. The Man In Black, bonded to The Island since childhood and robbed of his body by his brother's coil-stripping blunder some 2,000 years earlier, was finally unchained from his tropical ball and got his humanity back. But in the process, MIB also turned into something that Jack could murder; the angry old man became exclusively and perilously human, wholly flesh and blood. In that protracted moment in which evil was allowed to hold sway, I think everyone — the castaways; possibly all life in the world — lost their souls. In ''The End,'' the struggle wasn't just between life and death — it was a struggle to preserve the promise of eternity from a new modality of total annihilation.

It was also a kind of flashback to the Swan computer.... BAM, it's triggered. Everything's going to hell, destruction is afoot. But there is a little bit of time for things to be set right again, for the numbers to be punched in and crisis averted. As someone asked here, not everything came spilling out of the bottle when the cork was removed. Evil was bottle-necked. But, if given more time, it would have been fully released.

I don't want to quote too much from Doc's entry. His numbered sequence on page 6 is dead-on. The "if this doesn't happen, God help us all" and similar lines of "you and everyone you love will ___" are explained. MIB escaping (which required the destruction of the island) would mean no more souls for mankind, and no possibility of togetherness in the afterlife. MIB said, "I want you to know that you died for nothing." Perhaps it was that MIB had never known real friendship, had never had a community of people that he was linked to, like our Lostaways in the church were connected to each other. What Jack died for was not nothing.

I'm very intrigued by the idea of Hurley and Ben doing there thing for God knows how long. As I said above, at some point you would think Hurley gave Ben the gift of eternal life as Jacob had given Richard. And without a mortal enemy to battle ala Jacob and MIB, one would think their time on the island was a lot less exciting and aggravating.

tgreg, looks like your post is making the rounds...

http://www.spoilertv.co.uk/forum/viewtopic...342&start=0

http://www.theprpboard.com/showthread.php?p=438737

http://www.thecomicforums.com/forum2//inde...p;#entry1398297

even another football board!

http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3062091

i can say that any post that has "John's questions" instead of "John Adam's questions" was probably lifted from my page since I edited the name down so people wouldnt think you were talking to a dead president :lol:

edit: WOW if you google the first line or so of tgreg's post, it's been spreading like wildfire... just goes to show how badly the fans want some "inside information" even if it just verifying things we've known for years.

I'm very intrigued by the idea of Hurley and Ben doing there thing for God knows how long.

I think you could look at the reign of Hurley as the potential fulfillment of all the things aimed at by the Hanso Foundation, Valenzetti Equation, Dharma Initiative, etc... They were trying to identify and change something fundamentally flawed about human nature.

Look at the fact that Hurley’s destiny was shaped by the numbers. These are the same numbers in the Valenzetti equation—they’re supposed to represent something self-destructive that has been constant about human civilization throughout history. Jacob, in his search for a solution to his MIB problem, apparently came to realize the importance of the numbers too. Each of these six numbers stood for one of his final batch of candidates. It’s no coincidence then that Hurley is the one to finally take his place as guardian of the light of humanity for a new era. Remember that Ben mentions towards the very end that “that was Jacob’s way of running things.” Hurley is free to invent his own rules and it seems he is the right guy for the job of making a better world.

I think you could look at the reign of Hurley as the potential fulfillment of all the things aimed at by the Hanso Foundation, Valenzetti Equation, Dharma Initiative, etc... They were trying to identify and change something fundamentally flawed about human nature.

Look at the fact that Hurley’s destiny was shaped by the numbers. These are the same numbers in the Valenzetti equation—they’re supposed to represent something self-destructive that has been constant about human civilization throughout history. Jacob, in his search for a solution to his MIB problem, apparently came to realize the importance of the numbers too. Each of these six numbers stood for one of his final batch of candidates. It’s no coincidence then that Hurley is the one to finally take his place as guardian of the light of humanity for a new era. Remember that Ben mentions towards the very end that “that was Jacob’s way of running things.” Hurley is free to invent his own rules and it seems he is the right guy for the job of making a better world.

+1 Excellent post. :lol: