LOST...Season 6

duey

I think you're right...that destroying the island would release MIB.

Does the light being extinguished mean that the good in all men is extinguished as well? I think that's the big implication here. MIB getting off the island while the island is intact is bad because he's a mean and dangerous evil entity, but the island being destroyed [/the light going out] has even more terrible consequences.

Agreed.

We don't know what exactly the light means or what Mother meant in saying that there is a small bit of the light in every person. But we can reckon that it is something positive, like Hope, Free Will (or, rather, moments of Free Will) or the like. Something big, that if extinguished, the world goes to hell whether the Smoke Monster is free or not.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're right...that destroying the island would release MIB.

Does the light being extinguished mean that the good in all men is extinguished as well? I think that's the big implication here. MIB getting off the island while the island is intact is bad because he's a mean and dangerous evil entity, but the island being destroyed has even more terrible consequences.

I don't think that extinguishing the island light has that big of an influence. I think it influences the people connected to the island, not all of humanity. It may be that since MIB was essentially created by the log flume of light, if that light is extinguished, so is MIB, as well as the island.

Points well taken.

We're yet to know, and perhaps we won't ever, what makes Des special. We know he's got something pretty good going on, and it's not to MIBs benefit, but what it is and why he has it is still left unexplaned.

Well... what made Michael special (when he tried to kill himself off-island)?

He still had something to do such that the universe/Island wouldn't let him die.

Same goes for Desmond.

I don't think that extinguishing the island light has that big of an influence. I think it influences the people connected to the island, not all of humanity. It may be that since MIB was essentially created by the log flume of light, if that light is extinguished, so is MIB, as well as the island.

I disagree. Remember, Jacob and MIB's mother said that there is a little of that light in all men...I'm pretty sure she didn't mean just those on the island. And I have to believe that the light's importance, as stressed by the mother, is much more far reaching than just the island.

Well... what made Michael special (when he tried to kill himself off-island)?

He still had something to do such that the universe/Island wouldn't let him die.

Same goes for Desmond.

Very true.

I disagree. Remember, Jacob and MIB's mother said that there is a little of that light in all men...I'm pretty sure she didn't mean just those on the island. And I have to believe that the light's importance, as stressed by the mother, is much more far reaching than just the island.

Yep...I understand what you are saying. It's just contrary old me....I have the impression that those words are more metaphorical than literal. A "feel good" about humanity if you will....like "there's some good in everyone." Or maybe I'm just looking for curve balls on every pitch.

Yep...I understand what you are saying. It's just contrary old me....I have the impression that those words are more metaphorical than literal. A "feel good" about humanity if you will....like "there's some good in everyone." Or maybe I'm just looking for curve balls on every pitch.

LOL Well, either way we should find out in four days. :thumbsup:

LOL Well, either way we should find out in four days. :thumbsup:

You know.....I don't think I've ever been this engrossed in a television show. At least, not for this long. Same for my wife. I feel sort of embarrassed admitting this, but the ending of this show is going to leave us both feeling a bit......uh....Llllll.....nope, I'm not going to say it. This series was so thought provoking, frustrating, enthralling and enjoyable, it really is going to leave a void, at least for a while. I had high hopes for Flash Forward and V. FF got nuked and V apparently stands for "Vapid" (yeah, I know that was snotty). I like Fringe quite a bit, but it's not in the same league with Lost. Gotta love Walter Bishop.

Lost was THE television show that my wife and I really looked forward to. Honestly, everything else fell into the "meh" category. Well...I guess I should qualify this with me and Bills games....that's a given priority that needs no explanation.

But after Sunday, there is going to be a period of time where my wife and I look at the TV guide and say, "Well, NOW what?" It's a little like losing a friend, for crying out loud.

Or is is just me?

You know.....I don't think I've ever been this engrossed in a television show. At least, not for this long. Same for my wife. I feel sort of embarrassed admitting this, but the ending of this show is going to leave us both feeling a bit......uh....Llllll.....nope, I'm not going to say it. This series was so thought provoking, frustrating, enthralling and enjoyable, it really is going to leave a void, at least for a while. I had high hopes for Flash Forward and V. FF got nuked and V apparently stands for "Vapid" (yeah, I know that was snotty). I like Fringe quite a bit, but it's not in the same league with Lost. Gotta love Walter Bishop.

Lost was THE television show that my wife and I really looked forward to. Honestly, everything else fell into the "meh" category. Well...I guess I should qualify this with me and Bills games....that's a given priority that needs no explanation.

But after Sunday, there is going to be a period of time where my wife and I look at the TV guide and say, "Well, NOW what?" It's a little like losing a friend, for crying out loud.

Or is is just me?

youre definitely not alone. and there will be MILLIONS of others that will miss this show dearly. it has been everything ive ever wanted from a TV show. but im glad it's going out on top instead of fizzling away 5 years from now.

cant wait to see how they wrap up the story this weekend...

...and then i can start watching the entire series all over again, knowing what we know. :thumbsup:

Or is is just me?

Dude...that's exactly the way it is with my wife and I. We both gave FF and V a chance and bailed on both. Unfortunately, Lost has completely spoiled me and I imagine I'm going to be holding new shows up to its high bar for some time. I like a few of the half hour comedies (Two and a Half Men, Big Bang, The Middle, etc.), and I like House, but when it comes to dramas, Lost is going to be the be all, end all.

Dude...that's exactly the way it is with my wife and I. We both gave FF and V a chance and bailed on both. Unfortunately, Lost has completely spoiled me and I imagine I'm going to be holding new shows up to its high bar for some time. I like a few of the half hour comedies (Two and a Half Men, Big Bang, The Middle, etc.), and I like House, but when it comes to dramas, Lost is going to be the be all, end all.

I've held out on buying any of the previous season on DVD. I always felt that I had seen it all once, that would be good enough. But now I know that I do want all the seasons, so I'm hoping for all six in a sweet BlueRay box set just in time for the holidays. :thumbsup:

I've held out on buying any of the previous season on DVD. I always felt that I had seen it all once, that would be good enough. But now I know that I do want all the seasons, so I'm hoping for all six in a sweet BlueRay box set just in time for the holidays. :thumbsup:

yeah, ill be watching 1-5 on netflix streaming and figure ill get through them just in time for the Bluray Boxset, WHICH by the way will contain an extra 20 minutes of footage of the finale...

per TV Guide:

Turns out two and a half hours just wasn't enough screen time for Lost producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse to tell the whole story they wanted to tell us. An ABC source confirms to me that after Sunday’s series finale, airs from 9 – 11:30 pm ET/PT, the season six DVD (as well as the complete series collection, out on DVD and Blu-ray August 24) will continue the saga with upwards of twenty minutes of additional storyline.

“It’s in production now,” confirms the source, who couldn’t yet confirm the actual running time of the new scenes. “Damon and Carlton wanted to offer fans answers to additional questions they couldn’t get to in the body of the final show.”

Lindelof and Cuse have also ordered up some spectacular packaging that should make the DVDs a must-purchase for show fans.

Is it because pre LOST your life had no meaning? I only ask because I heard Jacob's speech I felt like he was talking more to the viewers then the remaining candidates. Maybe it's just me. Thanks for the confirmation on the Hurley thing too as it proved interesting.

In terms of some other thoughts I didn't get to post prior. It definitely sounds like Desmond and the light are going to play a big part. Ben is the most evil SOB in the history of television but as UConn James comment I love him to death. That said I have to think that Ben is playing Flocke as can't see him killing the rest of the Lostaways. As I can't see him wanting to be all alone on the island by himself. Also what is going on with Claire? Flocke leaves her at the dock by the sub and we haven't seen her since.

We haven't seen Juliet all season. She just has to be Jack's ex-wife, right?

That seems to be the way things are leading to.

Boy, you're right on the $$ about raising the bar. Damn near half the time my wife and I are watching some show and there is a pregnant pause right before "The Big Line", I nail "The Big Line" during the pregnant pause. That is not a testimonial to me, that is a kick to the groinal region of the so-called script writers (May Flocke eat their souls).

I hope JJ and the gang get the itch again REAL soon.

I hear you as well. LOST is not just a TV show, it is an EVENT every week. We love it and discuss it amongst the 2 of us after each show. Most other shows we just watch and forget about it.

In the fall, there is another show that has some promise: Terra Nova, produced by Steven Spielberg.

Terra Nova

youre definitely not alone. and there will be MILLIONS of others that will miss this show dearly. it has been everything ive ever wanted from a TV show. but im glad it's going out on top instead of fizzling away 5 years from now.

cant wait to see how they wrap up the story this weekend...

...and then i can start watching the entire series all over again, knowing what we know. :thumbsup:

I think I will wait a while before I watch it again. Even then, I may not. I'm the same way with books. I like to remember the powerful, initial impact. The 2nd time around, I may understand more (theoretically), but the impact is greatly diminished. My wife is the polar opposite. You would need a Cray to count the number of times she's seen Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction and reread those horny cave people books by Jean Auel.

Or is is just me?

To a certain degree, absolutely.

I have made from-scratch pizza on LOST nights for the past six years. It's a routine. And it's ending.

But, as I've written since S1, this show is like a Dickens novel come to screen. And with any novel, the end comes, and before you know it, there's another novel you want to read. Now, I don't think there are going to be any shows that can even touch LOST as far as getting my interest. I could be wrong, but probably not. Most of the rest of what we watch is PBS.

You scavenge what you can and fall into/adapt to other routines. I'm probably going to start doing pizza on one of the weekend nights... Sundays for football season. Saturday pizza & movie night for the rest of the year. We may start a Netflix subscription and catch up on some classics and such. And we'll always have the DVDs/BD of LOST to revisit. Nothing wrong with re-reading and re-re-reading your favorite title every so often.

This is also why, as I've written, I see it as a nice touch that not everything will be answered in this show. I will still be able to reflect from time to time. In a similar way to the death of a loved one, it's not gone if you're still thinking/wondering about it and remembering the good bits of your experiences.

Along with the S6 set, that is slated for a late-August release... IIRC, the 24th. We've gotten all the DVD sets along the way, but now that we have Blu-ray, it's tempting to upgrade, but we'll see.

I hear you as well. LOST is not just a TV show, it is an EVENT every week. We love it and discuss it amongst the 2 of us after each show. Most other shows we just watch and forget about it.

In the fall, there is another show that has some promise: Terra Nova, produced by Steven Spielberg.

Terra Nova

Hooo boy, I've got a baaaad feeling about this one, already. Jurassic Park - Rise of the Jetsons.

Yeah, yeah.....I know I'm being all snarky. :thumbsup:

To a certain degree, absolutely.

I have made from-scratch pizza on LOST nights for the past six years. It's a routine. And it's ending.

But, as I've written since S1, this show is like a Dickens novel come to screen. And with any novel, the end comes, and before you know it, there's another novel you want to read. Now, I don't think there are going to be any shows that can even touch LOST as far as getting my interest. I could be wrong, but probably not. Most of the rest of what we watch is PBS.

You scavenge what you can and fall into/adapt to other routines. I'm probably going to start doing pizza on one of the weekend nights... Sundays for football season. Saturday pizza & movie night for the rest of the year. We may start a Netflix subscription and catch up on some classics and such. And we'll always have the DVDs/BD of LOST to revisit. Nothing wrong with re-reading and re-re-reading your favorite title every so often.

This is also why, as I've written, I see it as a nice touch that not everything will be answered in this show. I will still be able to reflect from time to time. In a similar way to the death of a loved one, it's not gone if you're still thinking/wondering about it and remembering the good bits of your experiences.

Along with the S6 set, that is slated for a late-August release... IIRC, the 24th. We've gotten all the DVD sets along the way, but now that we have Blu-ray, it's tempting to upgrade, but we'll see.

I agree with you that leaving some questions unanswered is a good and prudent thing to do. After all, if all the questions are answered, there is that much less to reflect on, no? I'm sure I will find something else to latch on to. But in the short term at least, it will be called, "settling."