Chances TO signs an extension in '10?

CosmicBills

Anyone know what the average of the top 5 WR salaries is? 'Cause that's what it'll cost to slap the franchise tag in him. That said, I do like the guy - he seems to have either matured, of had a major attitude adjustment. The Bills benefit from a veteran like T.O. - especially our QB, and I hope he finishes his career here.

Senator,

The franchise figure as of last off season was $9.88 million.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

Owens is making what? $6.5 million? I guess there's so many moving parts right now as far as who is in the new regime, who the other free agents are, how much the Bills spend on a new regime, and the effects of an uncapped year.

In the right circumstances I would welcome him back, too. However the franchise figure for a wide receiver is higher than that of an offensive lineman by almost $1.5 million.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2009 numbers aren't out there from what I can find in a lazy google search, but based on 2008 numbers you're looking at an average of at least $14.1MM. Generally, you'd think that the numbers are never going down but contracts are a bit different from year to year and teams could have back- or front-loaded them. Still, in the neighborhood of double his 09 salary (and that's a low estimate) seems steep, even if he's still got it.

2008 top WR salary numbers (approx):

L Fitz: $17MM

R Moss $14MM

TO $13.7MM

Berrian $13.7MM

Javon Walker $12MM

avg~14.08MM

this is from USA Today

Don't know why there's no NFL equivalent of Cot's Baseball Contracts to help out here...

I don't think that's an accurate list. I believe USA Today includes a signing bonus, if received during that calendar year, in their salary totals. But for the purposes of the franchise tag, I think you just pay the average of the top 5 annual salaries, not including signing bonuses, etc.

Edit: Here is the more relevant list: http://content.usatoday.com/sports/footbal...on.aspx?pos=133

The question isn't so much whether we would want him back or not. The question is whether we would want to pay him app. $10 million for one season (or $20 million for two seasons).

Especially if there are any good free agent offensive linemen (Matt Birk and Jason Brown were available last year).

The other question is whether Owens would want to come back.

Anyways it's all premature, I think.

I would like to have him back. Not sure if he would like to stay. However with TO here Steve Johnson and Hardy won't develop so who knows.

Hardy and Johnson can develop in the #3 position on the depth chart. If we are serious about making a run.

I feel that you talk to T.O. get his honest assessment of the team, it's direction, and where it should go from here. I think you respect his fire, knowledge, and maturity. I think you make him proactive in the direction of the team, and creation of a potent offense. I feel that potentially being able to turn this team into a champion, if the team is exhibiting the desire to do that, is too great for him to walk away from.

Think about it. TO knows his legacy. For him to slide in to a team that was already a champion would show that he had a knack for jumping on at the right time and going for the ride. Would it diminish his being a champion? No, but wouldn't it be much better if he was involved in the Richie J Regime and it's total ineptitude, then became a key cog in our turning it around? I think he is the kind of veteran that we need and has the kind of personality to help that happen. Win, win.

Maturity? TO? Yes, he has matured. I always felt he was just an intense competitor that was cornered by media into saying the wrong things, or close enough to the wrong thing that they could run with it. I think his flamboyant, outgoing personality was taken advantage of. I am not saying he is a saint, but I am saying that he is what the Bills have been missing for a long time.

Ok, so we offer him contract, respect and seek his opinion (does not mean we take his word as gospel, only show that we his view merits consideration) and make him a part of the franchise. If he doesn't like that because he wants to swing from Brady's nuts...Franchise him and trade him. He won't make waves because that will for sure be the end. If we are going to thrown $50 mill at a coach that hasn't been successful in 4 years, why not throw 7-8 million at TO, who has helped give our team swagger down the stretch? It is a worth while gamble.

Reed will either be gone, or come at a discount. He is not TO and age is catching up to him. That leaves Johnson and Hardy, and despite the "HOF'er in waiting," opinion of Johnson, and based on what we have seen so far out of Hardy. You can't afford not to do it.

I don't think that's an accurate list. I believe USA Today includes a signing bonus, if received during that calendar year, in their salary totals. But for the purposes of the franchise tag, I think you just pay the average of the top 5 annual salaries, not including signing bonuses, etc.

Edit: Here is the more relevant list: http://content.usatoday.com/sports/footbal...on.aspx?pos=133

I think you're right. It seemed too out of whack; thanks!

Edit: this'd make the franchise # for 09 (based on 08 numbers): $7.02MM

Seems low based on the other links? Still doesn't answer the question for numbers based on this season.

TO's time here in Buffalo is just an audition for other, more competitive teams out there, in hope of him signing one last deal that is commensurate with his abilities .

I think the Bills hold just one bargaining chip and that is the possible franchise tag that they could use on him if they can't sign him to an extension.

I just don't see the Bills shelling out top 5 $$$ to a WR, and I can't see TO signing a long term (3-4) year deal with this team unless he feels its going to either A) Contend for the playoffs in the next 1-2 years, or B) Ensure some stability from the top down.

I agree that he is the best player on the Bills, but if a new regime comes in and decides to clean house and rebuild from square 1, TO doesn't fit into that mold and the best thing to do would be to let him walk.

I never said anyone would trade a top pick. I simply said we could potentially franchise him and then trade him, similar to how Donahoe handled Peerless Price a few years ago. In T.O.'s case, it would not be for a 1st rounder, but better to get something for him than nothing at all.

Nobody wanted him after his, what, ninth consecutive 1000-yard season (excluding his shortened season in Philly), but they'll want him after his 800 yard season this year, one year older? Get real. And giving him top dollar at this age is nuts. I would love to bring him back for one more year, but don't think his value is any higher. Another year at $6-7M would be in store.

TO's history is that he's a pretty good soldier his first year (so far that's been true in Buffalo). It's the second year and beyond that he turns into a prima donna. That said, I'd be quite happy to see him come back for another season. What's the probability that he will return? My guess is somewhere between no way and probably not. That equation depends on which other teams might be interested in him.