Christmas

BillsNYC

We started talking about the Christmas...err...HOLIDAY season yesterday and all of the politics that go into it.

Yesterday, I consulted last year's World Almanac (that I keep in the can for effective reading)

Get these stats on America's religious breakdown:

85% of Americans are Christian

2% are Jewish

4% are other

10% don't have a religion

Based on this, WHY ARE PEOPLE TRYING TO PREVENT CHRISTMAS FROM DOMINATING THE HOLIDAY SEASON LIKE IT ALWAYS HAS????

85% of the country celebrates the birth of Jesus on December 25th and celebrates Christmas trees, Nativity scenes, Santa Clause, Frosty, stockings over the fireplace, presents, caroling, and everything else that is associated with Christmas.

Based on these facts, why should I have to stop saying Merry Christmas or calling the next month Christmas Season???

Oh yeah…Mr. Hankey wears a Santa hat so he’s included in this too…

So from me to you:

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate what you are saying.

Christmas is, by definition, a Christian holiday. It seems like our PC culture is always trying to take the "Christ" out of Christmas" and make it into some sort of generic holiday.

It is a great holiday and season. There is nothing to be ashamed of in celebrating Christmas. Similarly, jews and muslims etc. should be able to celebrate their holidays without having to water them down.

First of all, EFF off for bringing up Christmas on November 18.

Second, I have a few of Jewish friends who think all the "holiday" stuff is nonsense. I wish them a Happy Chanukah, and they wish me a Merry Christmas. We've been at their house with our child when they light the Minora (sp) and their kids help us decorate the tree. Big friggin' whup.

What really kills me on this is that on December 24th, the TV crews will be at local malls reporting on "Holiday" shopping. Look, on December 24th, it's CHRISTMAS shopping.

I think it's OK to wish people happy holidays as a general December greeting, but I always go with Merry Christmas in our Christmas cards, even to our Jewish friends. And when I see those same friends, I wish them Happy Chanukah.

Anyone, and I mean anyone, who gets offended by "Merry Christmas," is an idiot. I play basketball in a league with a lot of Jewish guys. I'm sometimes presumed to be Jewish, and will get Happy New Years after Yom Kippur and the like. You know what? I accept the well-wishes, pass them back, and move on. I don't stop and say, "Actually, I can't accept your goodwill because I'm not Jewish."

Exactly. If I was to have somebody come up to me and say "Happy Kwanza", I'd return it with a "Happy Kwanza" of my own. What's wrong with that?

I do the decorations for our office every year because I LOVE Xmas. But since my office is half jewish, I always email everybody and ask "who wants to help me decorate for the Holidays". In that context I can deal with it. But other than that, Merry Christmas!

122969[/snapback]

What's eff?

Oh..it's xmas time by my book. I live in a big shopping disctrict of Brooklyn called Bay Ridge (where Saturday Night Fever was filmed!) and the Xmas lights are up all the way down the street and there's xmas sales and signs in all the stores.

Second, I have a few of Jewish friends who think all the "holiday" stuff is nonsense. I wish them a Happy Chanukah, and they wish me a Merry Christmas. We've been at their house with our child when they light the Minora (sp) and their kids help us decorate the tree. Big friggin' whup.

What really kills me on this is that on December 24th, the TV crews will be at local malls reporting on "Holiday" shopping. Look, on December 24th, it's CHRISTMAS shopping.

I think it's OK to wish people happy holidays as a general December greeting, but I always go with Merry Christmas in our Christmas cards, even to our Jewish friends. And when I see those same friends, I wish them Happy Chanukah.

Anyone, and I mean anyone, who gets offended by "Merry Christmas," is an idiot. I play basketball in a league with a lot of Jewish guys. I'm sometimes presumed to be Jewish, and will get Happy New Years after Yom Kippur and the like. You know what? I accept the well-wishes, pass them back, and move on. I don't stop and say, "Actually, I can't accept your goodwill because I'm not Jewish."

122969[/snapback]

Exactly.

Good Yom Tov!!!

What's eff?

Oh..it's xmas time by my book. I live in a big shopping disctrict of Brooklyn called Bay Ridge (where Saturday Night Fever was filmed!) and the Xmas lights are up all the way down the street and there's xmas sales and signs in all the stores.

122984[/snapback]

Hey, Good Day NY was at a diner down there this AM. Man I miss a good Bklyn diner, we have nothing up in the burbs.

I also miss the steet lights on Avenue U, 18th Avenue and other busy streets during the Christmas season. And from going from store to store in the bitter December cold (before the greenhouse effect kicked in) we hardly went to the mall back then.

I also hate the shopping theme that has dominated Christmas. Those reporters on Christmas eve, can take the night off, run last years tape and noone would notice. Luckily for me, my wife does all the shopping so I actually get to enjoy the season.

And as far as bringing up Christmas too soon, at least its after Halloween!

What's eff?

122984[/snapback]

Eff is the sound that the letter "F" makes. So Eff off is really F--- off, and I stick by it in the context of you wishing me Merry Christmas in November.

Hey, Good Day NY was at a diner down there this AM.  Man I miss a good Bklyn diner, we have nothing up in the burbs.

123022[/snapback]

I saw that! It's about 10 blocks from me, been there several times. I was very tempted to go down there and meet Mike Woods. I love Fox 5 in the morning!

We started talking about the Christmas...err...HOLIDAY season yesterday and all of the politics that go into it.

Yesterday, I consulted last year's World Almanac (that I keep in the can for effective reading)

Get these stats on America's religious breakdown:

2% are Jewish

4% are other

Based on this, WHY ARE PEOPLE TRYING TO PREVENT CHRISTMAS FROM DOMINATING THE HOLIDAY SEASON LIKE IT ALWAYS HAS????

85% of the country celebrates the birth of Jesus on December 25th and celebrates Christmas trees, Nativity scenes, Santa Clause, Frosty, stockings over the fireplace, presents, caroling, and everything else that is associated with Christmas.

Based on these facts, why should I have to stop saying Merry Christmas or calling the next month Christmas Season???

Oh yeah…Mr. Hankey wears a Santa hat so he’s included in this too…

So from me to you:

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!

122933[/snapback]

Seems to me that in fact, Christmas does "dominate" the holidy season. I am not sure what the complaint is here. You can say "Merry Christmas" all you want.

What I do think is uncalled for are the mocking references to Kwanzaa. Whenever I hear a reference to Kwanzaa, it is usually by someone mocking it out as just another example of PC. There are those who do not accept it as a legitimate holiday and so make a joke of it. If that was done with regard to Christmas, there would be candle light vigils by millions of tearful Christians demanding a Constitutional Amendment banning manger jokes.

Ann Coulter for example calls Kwanzaa "...a lunatic blend of schmaltzy '60s rhetoric, black racism and Marxism." Tony Snow has claimed that "There is no part of Kwanzaa that is not fraudulent." David Limbaugh, Rush's brother, complained about kids chanting "Celebrate Kwanzaa" at a Tupelo elementary school he claimed had removed all christian references from Christmas songs. Coulter repeated (typicall right wing parrot/echo chamber, spread the crap far and wide stuff) that charge in her own column. Of course, Limbaugh was wrong and had to withdraw the charge. The kids routinely sang religious music including Christmas Carols.

I don't think that the holidays other people celebrate are any of my business but then again, I live in a blue state so what do I know. I guess when some people prattle on about religious and political tolerance, what they really mean is tolerance for their religion and their politics. Any one else's are fair game for ridicule.

By the way, with numbers like that, why is it that Christians cultivate and air of perpetual beleagueredness and persecution? They are an incredibly dominant majority and are certainly not shy about throwing their weight around. Christmas is a good example. It is EVERYWHERE. From Thanksgiving to the big day, Christmas oozes from every pore of politics, industry and culture. In reading your post however, one might conclude that Christmas is the holiday that dare not speak its name as if we were all hiding from the wrath of Pharoah.

I saw that! It's about 10 blocks from me, been there several times. I was very tempted to go down there and meet Mike Woods. I love Fox 5 in the morning!

123028[/snapback]

Yeah Mike Woods is a stud....oh man this is getting gay.

In reading your post however, one might conclude that Christmas is the holiday that dare not speak its name as if we were all hiding from the wrath of Pharoah.

123058[/snapback]

But thats the point, we light up NYC, the stores start selling the deocration in August, but if someone in an office says Merry Christmas then we are insenstive to non christians.

here is little diddy that annoys me just enough for me to make a post about it.

i would disagree with Mickey slightly.

The term "Christmas" is subltely being removed.

Call some local Museums or other non-for profit organizations....and ask what their hours are.

They will say something to the effect of:

"We are open every day of the year except December 25th and New Years Day."

December 25th huh? Why not say Christmas? If you call them and ask....why are you closed on December 25th? They will say because of the "holiday". If you ask them, "which Holiday"....they finally break down and spit out the word "Christmas".

what gives?

Some of us might say "Happy Holidays" because it's all-inclusive. If someone doesn't celebrate the religious aspects of any specific holiday, they still recognize New Years Day.

So, to all of you I say, "Happy Holidays!"

Instead of worrying about what people say in a salutation, perhaps the more pious among you might want to focus your energies on those whole celebrate Christmas yet leave out the Christ part. IMO, that'd be a better way to "save" Christmas than worrying about what people call it.

From Thanksgiving to the big day, Christmas oozes from every pore of politics, industry and culture.

123058[/snapback]

Uhh...that's because this country was founded by Christians, and Christmas is older than the country itself. On top of that, as I stated before, 85% of Americans celebrate the holiday.

And in regards to your "Christmas is the holiday that dare not speak its name as if we were all hiding from the wrath of Pharoah", It's now not PC to call it Christmas season, it has to be called Holiday season. Look at the stores again, it's not Christmas they are advertising, its the Holidays. Huge difference.

Instead of worrying about what people say in a salutation, perhaps the more pious among you might want to focus your energies on those whole celebrate Christmas yet leave out the Christ part.  IMO, that'd be a better way to "save" Christmas than worrying about what people call it.

123101[/snapback]

what'd you guys want to do to me? :lol:

I'm not christian...am an atheist conservative libertarian brought up in a buddhist household...I actually enjoy the christmas season and celebrate it because i enjoy the company of friends and it's an excuse to buy something nice for people once a year (ok, maybe not once since there are birthdays, valentines day, baby showers, bachelor parties...etc...but whatever)...you could say I'm celebrating the holidays, but I refer to it as christmas because that is how i've always known it...i don't see why people get all up in arms about all this religious stuff...being christian these days is worse to some people than it is to be a transvestite

anyhoo, i feel that people should be able to do whatever they want, as long as they don't try to convert me...i've already looked at many religions and none of them interest me

what'd you guys want to do to me?  :lol:

I'm not christian...am an atheist conservative libertarian brought up in a buddhist household...I actually enjoy the christmas season and celebrate it because i enjoy the company of friends and it's an excuse to buy something nice for people once a year (ok, maybe not once since there are birthdays, valentines day, baby showers, bachelor parties...etc...but whatever)...you could say I'm celebrating the holidays, but I refer to it as christmas because that is how i've always known it...i don't see why people get all up in arms about all this religious stuff...being christian these days is worse to some people than it is to be a transvestite

anyhoo, i feel that people should be able to do whatever they want, as long as they don't try to convert me...i've already looked at many religions and none of them interest me

123113[/snapback]

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! :D

2% are Jewish

4% are other

From my perspective, the ACLU has made themselves the mouthpiece of the liberal agenda. This really is not fair to liberals, because the ACLU in fact has redefined liberalism as something that isn't even palatable to most of those who reside on the left (and who would be proud to call themselves liberals if it wasn't for such extremists).

What does this have to do with Christmas? Well, the ACLU in essence is an organization with a lot of money and a lot of lawyers. They justify their existence by searching for every last crumb to prosecute. Thus we have the case involving the reference to God in the pledge where the plaintiff wasn't even bothered by it. Thus we have the PC police trying to remove Christmas from mainstream society. Thus we have a lot of other silly cases meant to make America a vanilla country instead of a melting pot.