I feel this is important....while I would love to have Shanahan

Two things:

- This team has been run so badly that there are SEVERAL coaches that would be a improvement.....

- The HC is not the only problem with this team

- To me the GM is going to as important if not MORE important

IF we cannot convince Shanahan to come here this team would also greatly improve by simply getting a REAL football GM that knew how to pick a good offensive minded HC who then knew how to pick his assistants. That GM is going to be aided by the fact that we will have a good salary cap situation, a top 5 draft pick, and a owner who now wants to spend the money on players it would take to overhaul (and the money it would take to get the good HC as well)

There is more then one way to skin this cat.

I think if Brandon has a good read on Shanahan and does not think he will accept an offer...... They need to act quickly and get a GM in place now, and allow that person to select the culture of the team and find a head coach. After Shanahan, all the GM/HC hybrids are gone. It is important the GM calls the shots with the HC.

I totally agree with you, John.

While he is a very qualified coach...Shanahan is certainly not the second coming. Let's not forget that he was fired from his previous job. (and too be honest... I couldn't stand that little rat while I was living in Colorado.)

To hear that he may get part-ownership makes me a little sick inside.

They really need to bring in an outside consultant to evaluate the organization and suggest a plan to move forward to Mr. Wilson. Having Russ Brandon jet around the country and present sales pitches to big name coaches indicates they are willing to consider something different this time around. That is a big step in the right direction for a team that has throughout their history taken their chances on uninspired retreads, promoting from within, and rookie HCs.

But, there is more to fixing this thing than just a new coaching staff. This team has done a dreadful job of putting together a competitive roster and that reflects poorly on the front office: contracts, self-scouting, pro-scouting, college scouting, knowing what it takes to put together a champion and leading the team down that path. While the latest hit of hope to the fans may be this hare and hounds chase of big name coaches, the entire organization should be put under the microscope for the boneheaded decisions that have been made. The track record of the decisions made by or with the approval of Brandon and Wilson, would give any skeptic cause for pause. The cynic must ask, "Is this just another marketing ploy? Does Brandon really know anything more about how to fix the front office (which he is nominally overseeing already) than he does about player personnel management, where he has shown he is inept?"

The guy I like is Charlie Casserly, he is about the only one I listen to in all the pre game shows. But I'm sure there are other guys out there that are as good or better at evaluating talent.

This franchise is in desperate need of a GM that is a Bill Polian clone, someone who will bring in the proper talent and hire the right assistant coaches. I think part of the problem the last few years is the FO listened to Jauron on personnel, which was not the smartest of moves.

The fans want Shanahan and deservedly so, but all the team really needs is a really good game manager, motivator and great assistant coaches. Guys like OC Cam Cameron in Baltimore and DC Mike Nolan in Denver would even make Dick Jauron look good, for awhile.

The franchise is desperate for a winner, lets hope they hire someone that is a proven winner.

Just say no to Charlie Weiss-Jim Haslett-Mike Martz-Jim Fassel-Dennis Green-Romeo Crennel

I just wonder if Urban Meyer would be willing to take the Buffalo job provided he gets a chance to draft Tebow with the Bills #1 pick. The NFL isn't ready to stop the option / wildcat full time, sure would be exciting to watch Tebow rush for TD's again and again against the Patriots, just a thought.

I just wonder if Urban Meyer would be willing to take the Buffalo job provided he gets a chance to draft Tebow with the Bills #1 pick. The NFL isn't ready to stop the option / wildcat full time, sure would be exciting to watch Tebow rush for TD's again and again against the Patriots, just a thought.

the thing that worries me about Tebow is the fact that he wont be able to allow himself the beating he takes in NCAA. Laying his body out there so frquently would allow these monster defensive players to really lay a hurting on him.

I am liking what I see in Fewell....his attitude seems 180 degrees from DJ's.....the worst thing in the world to me would not be retaining Fewell and bringing in a strong GM...JMHO

definitely NOT the worst thing in the world. I would be pleased as a matter of fact. Who is running the on field product is much more important that the head coach at this point.

The guy I like is Charlie Casserly, he is about the only one I listen to in all the pre game shows. But I'm sure there are other guys out there that are as good or better at evaluating talent.

This franchise is in desperate need of a GM that is a Bill Polian clone, someone who will bring in the proper talent and hire the right assistant coaches. I think part of the problem the last few years is the FO listened to Jauron on personnel, which was not the smartest of moves.

The fans want Shanahan and deservedly so, but all the team really needs is a really good game manager, motivator and great assistant coaches. Guys like OC Cam Cameron in Baltimore and DC Mike Nolan in Denver would even make Dick Jauron look good, for awhile.

The franchise is desperate for a winner, lets hope they hire someone that is a proven winner.

Just say no to Charlie Weiss-Jim Haslett-Mike Martz-Jim Fassel-Dennis Green-Romeo Crennel

After Ol' Whitey Tom Donahoe, I have worries of any coaching or GM candidate who has been a media pundit rather than actually doing their job the last few years.

PTR

After Ol' Whitey Tom Donahoe, I have worries of any coaching or GM candidate who has been a media pundit rather than actually doing their job the last few years.

PTR

Just stated I liked him for GM, didn't say I was married to him :thumbsup:

I'm not an insider who is privy to the up and coming GM hires, and since RW is the President I'm not certain he is either...

Two things:

- This team has been run so badly that there are SEVERAL coaches that would be a improvement.....

- The HC is not the only problem with this team

- To me the GM is going to as important if not MORE important

IF we cannot convince Shanahan to come here this team would also greatly improve by simply getting a REAL football GM that knew how to pick a good offensive minded HC who then knew how to pick his assistants. That GM is going to be aided by the fact that we will have a good salary cap situation, a top 5 draft pick, and a owner who now wants to spend the money on players it would take to overhaul (and the money it would take to get the good HC as well)

There is more then one way to skin this cat.

Agree John. Over the last two weeks I've generated about a half dozen posts saying essentially the same thing.

I'd rather have an excellent GM than a big name coach who we'll have to throw ridiculous money at. Money doesn't solve problems. Competence does. Another thing: if we're paying a coach $10 million per and Jauron $3 million, does anyone really think that Ralph is gonna start throwing crazy money around at free agents?

Back to my original point, going for the pie-in-the-sky coach is no different than signing Terrell Owens IMO. In other words, it would represent an expensive and desperate stab at placating the fans instead of being a sound, rationale plan for success.

Agree John. Over the last two weeks I've generated about a half dozen posts saying essentially the same thing.

I'd rather have an excellent GM than a big name coach who we'll have to throw ridiculous money at. Money doesn't solve problems. Competence does. Another thing: if we're paying a coach $10 million per and Jauron $3 million, does anyone really think that Ralph is gonna start throwing crazy money around at free agents?

Back to my original point, going for the pie-in-the-sky coach is no different than signing Terrell Owens IMO. In other words, it would represent an expensive and desperate stab at placating the fans instead of being a sound, rationale plan for success.

Jose,

But certainly you can agree that in order to get the CORRECT people in place that is going to require spending.....both coaches and free agents.

There are players that would help this team that have been available in past years.....and we let those players go to other teams without making a real play for them.

Specifically I am talking about offensive linemen......if we had brought in QUALITY VET LINEMEN then we could comfortably pick a QB in this draft (which I think we are going to do anyway)

Then you can feel good about taking a DL in the 2nd round a linebacker in the 3rd, and so on. If they take a DB at any point in this next draft I might shoot myself.

Jose,

Specifically I am talking about offensive linemen......if we had brought in QUALITY VET LINEMEN then we could comfortably pick a QB in this draft (which I think we are going to do anyway)

Bills fans are pretty dense at times.

There are very few "quality vet OL" available in free agency because teams are not stupid enough to let them get away.

Trying to build an OL through free agency results in crap

Bills need to draft quality OL every year with their premium picks to end up with a dominant OL

Bills fans are pretty dense at times.

There are very few "quality vet OL" available in free agency because teams are not stupid enough to let them get away.

Trying to build an OL through free agency results in crap

Bills need to draft quality OL every year with their premium picks to end up with a dominant OL

aside from the personal swipe at me.......

There are veteran offensive linemen that become available.....they just cost. And it is hard to draft quality OL when your draft evaluators suck........

We have gone through YEARS of not paying for the premium OL talent available and settling for the lower tier free agents. Then hoping that low round draft picks turn into Jason Peters and draft mid round guys like Duke Preston.