OT Drain Clog Remover

T-Bone

... tsnbd here ... i always use "Zep" ( Home Depot ) ... twice as much for half the price and works twice as good ... don't waste your money on the name brands ( Drano ) ... do all your drains while your at it ... tom

Ok guys, I just cleaned out the shower. My advice, forget the liquids. Open up the drain and snake it. Just a bit of advice, have gloves on and have a can handy for what you pull out. My wife has long hair too and when I pulled the drain up, well lets just say it wasnt pretty. None of the liquid cleaners opened up the drain and it was easy to see why.

tbone, if you haven't tried, unscrew the drain stopper and see if its gunked up. Mine was about a month ago because it was made of plastic. I just scraped it off into the garbage can and all was well. Now, if its deeper in the drain, then go for the chemicals.

Just remove the tennis ball and the water will begin flowing normally again.

Seriously, I'm assuming that the backup is caused by a scum buildup? :w00t:  Just go to the store and find out what will cut stojan the fastest.

122793[/snapback]

Tennis balls only work in toilets. :)

If you have an older house, be careful about chemical cleaners - especially the industrial strength stuff from the hw store - they can eat right through old metal pipes.

The drain in my bathtub seems to be clogged up.  Anbody have some advice on what a good brand would be to use?

Liquid Plumber perhaps?

122789[/snapback]

Holy stevestojan. How much of a lameass do you have to be to need help buying drain clog remover? :)

I'll have to try that "Zep" fro Home Depot. We have that problem from time to time Weve been using the Liquid Plumber foaming snake product, but it takes about three bottles of the stuff to get rid of the clog. If you've got time to waste and it is completely clogged, you can use a plunger, but you have to prepare. First remove the drain stopper. I normally means removing a couple screws. Then you have to find some way to seal the hole where the control for the drain stopper comes out. Otherwise you can't create any suction. It will eventually pull the clog out. Having seen such a clog, I can tell you it is mostly hair. Gross too!

T,

I have this problem in my one tub. It's been that way since we bought the house.

Initally I would dump a bunch of Liquid Plumber Gel down the drain. But, it only lasted a month at most. So, I took out the plunger and went to work on the drain. It's amazing how much "stuff" you can get out with the plunger alone. I did that then dumped another bottle of Gel down the drain and now it works like brand new.