Bryan Scott

PushthePile

i think we might go after wilfork. if we do we can go 3-4/4-3 hybrid, similar to what zona did in the play offs. with the crazy scheming fewell did against jax, assuming he can continue to have success with our rag tag D, he might be a great DC under a shanahan type who is 100% O.

on a 3-4 down we could have maybin and schobel at OLB, williams stroud and wilfork in the middle. poz and mitchel could play the middle, or i think we will get a thumper in FA or the draft and have him in there. on 4-3 we have plenty of depth to mix and match guys, and if mccargo shows he is worth keeping he can be inside outside too. i think our D line is good and deep (if maybin hits in his 2nd year it could be very good) and with a couple new LBs (the team needs them for depth, we just don't have enough) our front 7 will be pretty exciting. our secondary is pretty sick and deep, so that won't change much.

i really think of we switch up 34 and 43 opposing Os will have fits, and our nickle and dime packages would get a big boost. stroud williams kelsey schoble and maybin would be a good pass rushing front 5 with mclovin mcgee corner florence donte and byrd behind them. i think we are 2 or 3 guys on D (and not necessarily starters) from being sick.

So what's our ideal starting 11, if all are healthy?

Schobel-Stroud-Williams-Kelsay

Scott-Posluszny-Mitchell

McKelvin-McGee

Byrd-Wilson?

What's screaming for an upgrade there? DE and LB?

Defensively we need depth r a stud to make cirrent starters depth... Our Offense is th ebiggest problem this D has.......It has two many snaps...If you notice they usually falter in the fourth Quarter....I want Drives from our Defense that end in points! Hopefully more than 3/

Seriously, we have some solid players on D....Way too many injuries and players playing injured. Safety...Byrd, and Scott and Wilson is a nice problem. LB needs an upgrade at every position.......Does Mitchell remind anyone of say SPikes...a lot of Hype....even more over pursuit and rarely plays in lanes and is out of posiition. This guy is a bust! He might want to get a hair cut in the off season...oh that started months ago for him....Anyone notice he has been hurt throughout his career! Ellison is smart but too small......Puz is a bull but needs to play harder every play! I like th esecondary....We have players...Corner has had a good season! Mckelvin is a bust and week tackler! Mcgee should receive a contract extension......Scott needs to be in the mix and Whitner gone......So

Schobel, Stroud/Williams Kelsay ( upgrade hopefully)

Puz in th emiddle and 2 new OLB

Mcgee/Corner Youbouty

Byrd,wilson and Scott

No mitchell, Maybin or Whitner......

We need to focus on the a game changer and 3 OL men. Oh and a backup QB.I hope Brohm plays some before these 6 weeks are up! We need ot see what he has!

Scott has been a playmaker ever since he signed with the team- I cant believe he was a street FA back when. Best LB on the team last week. What an improvment over Ellison. Still like to see Harris in there though.

Wasn't Ellison leading the league in tackles up until his injury??? Just sayin, if we're gonna praise Scott for tackles, why not Ellison?? And don't give me that, "Ellison makes tackles downfield crap, that's a cop-out, oh wait, no it's not.....

See how I answered my own question? (Just wanted to clear this up before the "Ellison" crowd came in here). :lol:

i don't know why everyone is so enamoured with the 3-4 defense. People started jumping on the Tampa-2 trend after the Bucs showed their prowess at man-handling opposing offenses. Seems everyone wants 3-4 now as thats the new trend in the league. I do not mind the defense the way it is, id just like it mixed up a bit, more aggressive, more twists, and some better players. 3-4 defense obviously needs certain people to play. With more coaching staffs making the switch, the competition for these players rise. Id say keep the defense, trade whitner for a 6th rounder, release that joke of a player, Mitchell, who doesn't understand the rules of the game that say he can use his hands to tackle someone and sprinkle some new veterans on the D with some draft picks and lets fight. If our offense got more competent our defense could roll with any heavyweight offense in the league.

i don't know why everyone is so enamoured with the 3-4 defense. People started jumping on the Tampa-2 trend after the Bucs showed their prowess at man-handling opposing offenses. Seems everyone wants 3-4 now as thats the new trend in the league. I do not mind the defense the way it is, id just like it mixed up a bit, more aggressive, more twists, and some better players. 3-4 defense obviously needs certain people to play. With more coaching staffs making the switch, the competition for these players rise. Id say keep the defense, trade whitner for a 6th rounder, release that joke of a player, Mitchell, who doesn't understand the rules of the game that say he can use his hands to tackle someone and sprinkle some new veterans on the D with some draft picks and lets fight. If our offense got more competent our defense could roll with any heavyweight offense in the league.

I used to hate the 3-4, mainly because the Bills got trampled in their SB's because Jeff Wright wasn't a true NT. But if you have a real NT, and 3-4 sized DE's, you can tie-up the OL with just 3 men, leaving the other 8 to defend. I do agree that mixing it up is a good idea.

You do realize that Whitner is by far our best SS, right? He has the best combination of cover skills and run support. Scott is too slow to play outside the box, and can't guard anyone other than a TE. Wilson is just a bad cover man... He has a knack for being completely out of position, and isn't nearly as good in run support as Scott and Whitner. Wilson's WR hands are about the only thing that gives him serious value. Whitner isn't an elite cover safety, but he is regarded as one of the best in-the-box safeties in the league. If he can come back and play the rest of the season, we could get a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him... but why would a rebuilding team trade one of its better young players for a draft pick?

You do realize that Whitner is by far our best SS, right? He has the best combination of cover skills and run support. Scott is too slow to play outside the box, and can't guard anyone other than a TE. Wilson is just a bad cover man... He has a knack for being completely out of position, and isn't nearly as good in run support as Scott and Whitner. Wilson's WR hands are about the only thing that gives him serious value. Whitner isn't an elite cover safety, but he is regarded as one of the best in-the-box safeties in the league. If he can come back and play the rest of the season, we could get a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him... but why would a rebuilding team trade one of its better young players for a draft pick?

If the national view of Whitner is as high as yours, trading him would be a must. He is an average player and doesn't do anything special. He is no where near as good in run support as you say. Whitner actually makes zero gamechanging plays and has had alot of oppurtunity to prove that wrong.

Scott and Wilson aren't as highly touted in your magazines because no one outside of Buffalo knows who they are. You claim Scott is too slow to play safety yet his coaches have felt comfortable enough to start him 40+ times at the position.

Yes, Whitner is faster but he is faster than alot of superior football players. I don't see Donte's measurables translating onto the field.

Best SS on the roster? What are you basing this on? I'll gladly give up a shred of speed for a football player that fills a lane and makes a tackle. Scott gives this team that.

George Wilson might not be better than Whitner but he is not inferior. To me that says alot considering where these guys have come from. I don't dislike Whitner and it's not his fault where he was drafted but he is very expendable.

IMO donte seems afraid to half the time to make contact. And i just wish when he did hit someone a ball would pop out every once in a while. Now that i think of it, our defense doesnt have many forced fumbles at all does it? The only one i can think of atop my head is that Panther doing his best impression of that tiny twirp, joke of a player, laughing stalk of my friends and I, Roscoe Parrish. He muffed the punt, so that wasn't even a forced fummble. Donte just needs to step his game up and get a nother pick or 2. Maybe a sack off a blitz. JUST DO SOMETHING!!!!

Agree with the OP that Scott played well at LB. He has always outplaued Whitner at SS too. He's a keeper.

Whether we stay 4-3 or gp to a 3-4 next year, we need two or three REAL line-backers. There are some in the first round like McLain and Weatherpoon and Spikes and hopefully some FAs.

Our secondary is set (don't need slow and small Whitner anymore) and we have players on the D-line too. Line-backers is what we need; even Poz is weak at this position.

My only issue is why in the hell did it take us so long to get him on the field as an OLB? We picked up Draft when we had this guy already on our team... Really?!?

IMO, this is just another reason this coaching staff was horrible. Maybe Draft will get injured and they will have no choice but to put Maybin at the other OLB spot and we can finally see that he is not a bust. Or maybe he is, at least we will actually get him on the field to access his talet a bit more.

My only issue is why in the hell did it take us so long to get him on the field as an OLB? We picked up Draft when we had this guy already on our team... Really?!?

IMO, this is just another reason this coaching staff was horrible. Maybe Draft will get injured and they will have no choice but to put Maybin at the other OLB spot and we can finally see that he is not a bust. Or maybe he is, at least we will actually get him on the field to access his talet a bit more.

"Hacksaw" Aaron Maybin ain't not gonna play... EVER.

If the national view of Whitner is as high as yours, trading him would be a must. He is an average player and doesn't do anything special. He is no where near as good in run support as you say. Whitner actually makes zero gamechanging plays and has had alot of oppurtunity to prove that wrong.

Scott and Wilson aren't as highly touted in your magazines because no one outside of Buffalo knows who they are. You claim Scott is too slow to play safety yet his coaches have felt comfortable enough to start him 40+ times at the position.

Yes, Whitner is faster but he is faster than alot of superior football players. I don't see Donte's measurables translating onto the field.

Best SS on the roster? What are you basing this on? I'll gladly give up a shred of speed for a football player that fills a lane and makes a tackle. Scott gives this team that.

George Wilson might not be better than Whitner but he is not inferior. To me that says alot considering where these guys have come from. I don't dislike Whitner and it's not his fault where he was drafted but he is very expendable.

What magazines? Bryan Scott is a former CB who runs a 4.8-4.9 40. That's LB speed on a safety... which is NOT good enough to cover a WR. They started Scott because Whitner was the only one on the team that could play FS, and Scott is way, way, way too slow to play it. Whitner is by far the superior overall player, and would be starting no question if he wasn't injured. George Wilson is clearly inferior to Donte Whitner, or have you forgotten all those plays where Wilson was 10 yards away from a receiver as he walks into the end zone?

Do you really want to get into this argument PushThePile? You argued all summer that Jay Cutler was a very good QB, and look how that turned out.

What magazines? Bryan Scott is a former CB who runs a 4.8-4.9 40. That's LB speed on a safety... which is NOT good enough to cover a WR. They started Scott because Whitner was the only one on the team that could play FS, and Scott is way, way, way too slow to play it. Whitner is by far the superior overall player, and would be starting no question if he wasn't injured. George Wilson is clearly inferior to Donte Whitner, or have you forgotten all those plays where Wilson was 10 yards away from a receiver as he walks into the end zone?

Do you really want to get into this argument PushThePile? You argued all summer that Jay Cutler was a very good QB, and look how that turned out.

Flingon you are a goof. You call me out on Cutler but don't have the stones to admit your error on Edwards? Keep your 40 time nonsense, I'll take the guy who just makes plays. Donte has never been anything but mariginal and is often physically ineffective. I don't need to get in this argument with you, the thread is full of hardcore Bills fans who feel the same way. I'll take their word over yours every day of the week and twice on Sunday. ;)

On a sidenote Cutler is still starting and your boy can't beat out Ryan Fitzpatrick. Player analysis hasn't been your strength, now or in the past.

I used to hate the 3-4, mainly because the Bills got trampled in their SB's because Jeff Wright wasn't a true NT. But if you have a real NT, and 3-4 sized DE's, you can tie-up the OL with just 3 men, leaving the other 8 to defend. I do agree that mixing it up is a good idea.

Remember that '99 defense. How good were they when they had Ted Washington? Best in the league. Gimme a fat bastard in the middle that eats centers and guards all day, and build around him. That's how it's done.

Scott was out with a high ankle sprain when we picked up Draft