Does anyone else think the Bills are going about the coach search all

ACor58

Any GM with a set of marbles would like to be hired BEFORE the head coach is brought in. (Look at the mess in Cleveland). Ther names that are being dropped (Cowher, Shanahan, Holmgren) are good coaches but were never very good at doing both. I think the Bills should be thinking fooball guy first, coach second.

Any GM with a set of marbles would like to be hired BEFORE the head coach is brought in. (Look at the mess in Cleveland). Ther names that are being dropped (Cowher, Shanahan, Holmgren) are good coaches but were never very good at doing both. I think the Bills should be thinking fooball guy first, coach second.

And you know that are are not how?

The problem is that if you want those coaches, you are not going to be able to bring in that top-notch GM....They just cannot co-exist.

If the Bills cannot hire any of these coaches, they need to then hire a excellent GM and let him bring in his HC.

The problem is that if you want those coaches, you are not going to be able to bring in that top-notch GM....They just cannot co-exist.

If the Bills cannot hire any of these coaches, they need to then hire a excellent GM and let him bring in his HC.

Exactly.

These big names all want total control. That's why the Bills are going about things the way they are.

As Bill Parcells said, "If I'm going to cook the food, let me shop for the ingredients." Shanahan, Cowher and Holmgren all subscribe to that way of thinking as well.

that's the name of the game. Get a GM who knows football and how to put football talent together into a cohesive unit and how to hire a coach who can fulfill that vision. Then you have a fighting chance.

i agree, get a gm who is a football man and let him build the organization. one chef

What if you are giving the next coach total control of football operations?

One of the good things about hiring a big name is they will bring all sorts of names with them. Any of these guys will have assistant coaches follow them and if they aren't the GM, they probably know of a solid GM that they can work with.

Exactly.

These big names all want total control. That's why the Bills are going about things the way they are.

As Bill Parcells said, "If I'm going to cook the food, let me shop for the ingredients." Shanahan, Cowher and Holmgren all subscribe to that way of thinking as well.

I don't think they all want to have a dual role. Just that they want to be able to have a strong influence. I'd be surprised if Holmgren wants another GM ride and Marty just wants a GM who will work with him. Some of them, like Cowher, just want to coach. Then again, I doubt that Parcells would consider a coaching position at this stage of his career.

Yeah, right... Chef Donahoe... now he could cook.

This team needs a Chef (to put his name on the line) and a Sous Chef (to actually do the cooking and boss around the cooks on the line), as well as a Front-House Manager (Russ Brandon).

Otherwise, your just cooking at home.